Thread: Benelli Super BE II or Beretta Extrema

Default Benelli Super BE II or Beretta Extrema

I have a problem maybe some of you wish you had. My wife wants to buy me a new 12 guage shotgun. Darn it! So, I have to figure out what I want. The gun will be used primarily for waterfowl, I really like parkerized, low gloss durable finishes, and will stick with a synthetic stock.
    There are 2 choices I have for semi-autos. I have looked long and hard at the Benelli Super Black Eagle II. I like the idea of it eating any load you put through it. I do not ever anticipate using 3.5" shells unless I win the lottery.
    I just watched a video on the Beretta Extrema 2. I do not know what loads he is using, but the recoil is very low. The cycle rate is very high.
    Do any of you have experience with either gun? Forget the money, which one do you like? What are the pros and cons?
    With all that said, I do love my old Ruger Red Label 20 guage. I have heard from too many people that the recoil from the 12 guage is harsh. If you were choosing an over/under in 12 guage, parkerized, synthetic, what would it be?
    Last thing is I do not want to port the gun. I like keeping all the noise out front. Thanks folks for the feedback.

I have the Super BE II and it is a very nice gun. It is very light and points more like an OU or sxs. I bought it because of the simplicity and reliability of the inertial operating system. The black finish is quite durable and has shown no tendency to rust. (Unlike Remingtons) It takes some practice with some of the loading features or you can jam the action with shells, but once you catch on it's not a problem. The recoil is more like a single barrel shotgun, but a Limbsaver recoil pad makes practicing with 3 1/2" shells tolerable. I don't even think about recoil or feel it when shooting at birds. The Stoeger 2000 is essentially the same gun for about half the price. There were some reports of weak firing pin springs on the Stoegers, but I believe this has been fixed. The Extrema was my second choice because I didn't want the weight of another autoloader. There is a reason Beretta autoloaders have become the best sellers among autoloaders. They are very good guns with lots of nice features, over bored barrels for reduced recoil, shims for the stocks for improved fit, lots of choke tubes, etc. The Beretta and the Benelli are two completely different guns with different feels. If you have some buddies with these guns see if you can't shoot both and then see which you like best. If I had it to do over I would still get the Benelli. Finally, you said that you didn't plan on shooting 3 1/2" shells. If you get an autoloader capable of shooting the 3 1/2" shells they will be bigger and heavier because the action needs to be longer. Good luck.

Here is what I want you to do. Take the same outfit you will wear (all the layers) that you will hunt with to the gun store, Pick up each one of your wants and try them. What you want with the Benelli can not be changed for length of pull. The stock system does not allow the shorting. If she fits with all your gear on then go for the Benelli. Truly a fine and remarkable shotgun. But if she does not fit your going to have to find something else that does not have the same type of stocking system.

I'll take a shotgun that fits before any other worry about recoil every time.

Thanks Flyer and Al. I do not know anybody with both shotguns, but you are right to try a test drive. And fit is important, no questions. I have shot a pretty good variety of shotguns over a wide variety of birds. I do pretty good with most, including my old SKS O/U which if not held well kicked pretty good. I will check around the local shops to see if I can fondle both of the guns side by side.
    My heart is in an O/U, but sure like the softer shooting of my old 11-87sp. Back in the day I found my 20g o/u to be great on geese, but find shot selection limited and like the idea of sending more shot downrange with the 12g.
    As far as the 3.5" shells, I have never priced them so am guessing that they are pricey. I also go back to the success I am currently having with my 11-87 and 3" shells.
    Sure hope to hear more frfom some other folks too. Thanks