Thread: Long Lake, Shirley Lake, Crystal Lake (Willow)

Default Long Lake, Shirley Lake, Crystal Lake (Willow)

I just got some property out in the willow area. I've been exploring the many lakes this winter and have had some luck with rainbows but no luck with pike. I am new to pike fishing. Been fishing weedy stream outlets with hearing on quick strike setups, plus tube jigs with shrimp, rattling lures...nothing! Tried weed beds, weed edges, drop offs, deep, shallow. No pike. My buddy and I have covered lots of water on these lakes by snow machine and used tips ups. I know they are in these lakes but there is clearly something I am missing...maybe its luck. Only caught pike in Minnesota during summer. Would love to figure them out up here through the ice since I'm in the heart of pike country.

Any suggestions on spots or techniques for these lakes? Is it too far into winter for successful pike fishing? I know spring is the best but I know people are catching right now too. Thanks!
    photo-2.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by mbrenna View Post
    I just got some property out in the willow area. I've been exploring the many lakes this winter and have had some luck with rainbows but no luck with pike. I am new to pike fishing. Been fishing weedy stream outlets with hearing on quick strike setups, plus tube jigs with shrimp, rattling lures...nothing! Tried weed beds, weed edges, drop offs, deep, shallow. No pike. My buddy and I have covered lots of water on these lakes by snow machine and used tips ups. I know they are in these lakes but there is clearly something I am missing...maybe its luck. Only caught pike in Minnesota during summer. Would love to figure them out up here through the ice since I'm in the heart of pike country.

Any suggestions on spots or techniques for these lakes? Is it too far into winter for successful pike fishing? I know spring is the best but I know people are catching right now too. Thanks!
    photo-2.jpg
    Sounds like you are doing everything right. Just fishing the wrong lakes. Try hitting some of the lake in the Nancy Lake Canoe Trails. Lynx and Redshirt are great bets. I think Lynx Lake is off limits for snow machines right now because of a lack of snow. Redshirt Lake East Trail is open I believe.

I second that. You're doing the right things. Just need to be where the fish are....

Shirley and crystal don't have many pike....
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

using proven methods, I believe your location is in need of a change.
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

I spoke with a few locals on the various lakes. All have reported catching pike in the summer...a resident at shirley lake said they caught pike into the 40 inch range. The main reason I am hitting these lakes is because I can ride my sled to them directly from my property. But maybe Ill try a different lake like...figure 8 or something more reputable. Thanks for the feed back!

Quote Originally Posted by mbrenna View Post
    I spoke with a few locals on the various lakes. All have reported catching pike in the summer...a resident at shirley lake said they caught pike into the 40 inch range. The main reason I am hitting these lakes is because I can ride my sled to them directly from my property. But maybe Ill try a different lake like...figure 8 or something more reputable. Thanks for the feed back!
    There's no question those lakes you mentioned contain pike. I believe they are even mentioned on the Fish and Game list for lakes that have invasive pike in them. But you are missing the point. Just because they have pike doesn't mean they are good for fishing for pike. There are plenty of lakes that I can think of that have a small population of pike but mostly the pike that are caught are incidental non target species while fishing for other target species such as rainbows and arctic char.

Pike are hardest fish out there to catch when barometer is wrong and among the easiest when it is right. In wintertime the barometer is the only condition thats variable; in summer even with a poor barometer there are other factors that affect the bite, and it is easier to cover large amounts of water to find them.

Best to fish lakes with large populations of pike in winter time for higher success rates, or else very small lakes.