Thread: caping and hide care

Default caping and hide care

If I were to kill a wolf, how would i preserve the cape for several days while hunting caribou? How long will it last? Do I need to learn to get the hide off the head and flesh it out?

Dependent on Weather temp.

Obviously if it is getting cold at night your skin will be less apt to spoil in just a couple of days.

Your best bet is to Turn the Ears , Nose, & lips. & get as much fat & Muscle debris off the skin as you can. Then salt it as Heavily as Possible with Table or Feed salt.

Keep it out of the rain .

After salting you can expose it to direct sun light till it dries most of the way out , then shake off the salt & fold to transport.

>>>>>>>>>DO NOT put the skin in a Plastic bag, Cooler , Or a Game bag & think it will be good for a couple days !!!!<<<<<<<<

It will spoil as one of my customers found out last year.

If you salt over the meat & don't turn the ears , face & Feet you also make it harder for the taxidermist to process it & you increase the chance that the skin will slip Fur (((( LOOSE FUR))).

It only takes about an Hour to get a Large Wolf turned & fleshed enough in the field so it can be salted & preserved for your taxidermist.

It takes only a couple of days of neglect to totally Ruin a skin that no one can fix.

The better the field care, The better the completed mount , >> If your using a Competent taxidermist <<

RJ Simington
    PRO Taxidermy Fairbanks Alaska

ww.protaxidermy.com
    Custom Taxidermy, Experience the difference !!

Great advice from RJ as usual. Your info indicates you are in OK, and if you have an opportunity to practice skinning and hide prep on some coyote, the process is the same. If you're not a predator hunter/trapper, maybe you can find someone locally who will be willing to show you how to prep a few "yotes". Good luck.

Awesome info! I really like this website! Everyone I have dealt with is very helpful! Thanks!

Great idea Lone Wolf.

Since Coyotes are a dime a dozen & a Wolf can be a once in a lifetime trophy.

RJ Simington
    PRO Taxidermy

So for a shoulder mount, it would be done like for a deer correct? Approximately halfway back and around the torso? Not like for a rug I'm guessing.

You can cape it just like you would for a deer, or tube it. I have found with the wolf shoulder mounts it is easier (for me) to have them cut down the back. If this is a mount you are going to do yourself, it would be easier to tube it for now and see if you would rather try sliding it over the head... You can always make a relief cut later, if you want. (or if your taxi wants).
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

Just be carefull if you Tube skin it to get it Fleshed & salted SOON after the kill so you wont allow heat & bacteria to build inside the skin because it cant expell it.

& make SURE to rub in the salt to EVERY part of the skin.

When most hunters tube skin they will always forget a fold or behind the ears or under the chin just because it isn't stretched out flat.

Tube skinning is better as long as it is taken care of properly.

RJ Simington

I'm not a taxidermist so it would be for someone who knows what they are doing.

It really has nothing to do with being a taxidermist, It is Always a good idea for the hunter to know how to take care of their own skins in the field because you never know when things will go FUBAR & you cant get back out of the field due to a breakdown or Weather ( Especialy on a flyin hunt)

Plus it can have a real impact on how long your hunt will be. ( Say you kill the animal on the second day of a 10 or 14 day hunt )

There is Always time to take care of the trophy that you spend so much time, Money & Sweat on.

All the hunter has to do is Make it a Priority.

LOTS of trophy skins are ruined between pulling the trigger & delivering it to the taxidermists.

RJ Simington
    PRO Taxidermy
    ww.protaxidermy.com

Quote Originally Posted by protaxidermy View Post
    Just be carefull if you Tube skin it to get it Fleshed & salted SOON after the kill so you wont allow heat & bacteria to build inside the skin because it cant expell it.

& make SURE to rub in the salt to EVERY part of the skin.

When most hunters tube skin they will always forget a fold or behind the ears or under the chin just because it isn't stretched out flat.

Tube skinning is better as long as it is taken care of properly.

RJ Simington
    Thanks for the good advice.