Thread: Beware of Hard Water Travel

Default Beware of Hard Water Travel

So after being out and about this past weekend and then seeing a news article, it looked like a good time for a good safety reminder.

Yentna River and Susitna River travel should be daylight and river familiarity a must. I heard about the same for the Talkeetna but that info may have been a little old.

Big Lake.....IF IT IS NOT PLOWED DO NOT TRAVEL any further. The north end of the lake, Burkeshore/Southport has a little more then 12 inches of ice in most places.....turn the corner and head west we seen as little as 3 to 4 inches of ice. There is an ice ridge (It is well marked and has signage. This ridge goes shoreline to shoreline) that the guys who plow the lake have broke open in hopes of getting the ice to form underneath and then maybe flood in the future to fix the bad spot.

The latest is 4 atv's went in Figure 8 lake just after 12 noon. From the info I can find it seems that we have lost at least 9 vehicles in rivers/lakes around the state, with 3 confirmed deaths......

So everyone please hang on for better conditions...they are coming. Let's not have to post about a tragedy of any our members or about anyone we know.

Be careful out there! He is right! You really do need to know what your doing in these conditions. Only good thing so far is there will be four less ATV's tearing up the trails! I know I'm a arse! My bad!

Quote Originally Posted by alexander View Post
    Be careful out there! He is right! You really do need to know what your doing in these conditions. Only good thing so far is there will be four less ATV's tearing up the trails! I know I'm a arse! My bad!
    Hate to say it...but your right. The ATV's have really put a beaten on what little snow is in the Big Lake area. The snowmachines that are out running the trails are no better.

There is a Yukon in Big Lake sitting 25 feet deep. They are going to have to wait for more ice before they even think of going out after it. Good thing no one hurt there and thanks to an ALERT property owner on the lake to catch the Yukon lights before it went under. Then him and his wife jumping on four wheelers to go out there after them.

So long as those three deaths were townies, no great loss right?
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

Quote Originally Posted by Erik in AK View Post
    So long as those three deaths were townies, no great loss right?
    Not to get in the middle of a good pissin' match, but the 3 deaths where Kwethluk Locals......Hardly "townies"....
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Quote Originally Posted by alexander View Post
    ...Only good thing so far is there will be four less ATV's tearing up the trails! I know I'm a arse! My bad!
    Yes, you most certainly are...It's hard for me to believe you would say something like that...
    "Grin and Bear It"

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie View Post
    Not to get in the middle of a good pissin' match, but the 3 deaths where Kwethluk Locals......Hardly "townies"....
    Look up, Hippie, this one went over your head (and was not directed at the deceased)
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

It even stretches up to the Lake Louise area where we normally have around 22" plus of ice this time of year. We currently have 9-12" average but after drilling some holes for beaver trapping last weekend I found some spots that where 6". Two kids fell thru the channel between Lake Louise and Susitna weekend before last...

Believe it! ATV's are not the problem though, it's the Bubba's who drive them!

Quote Originally Posted by trailblazersteve View Post
    It even stretches up to the Lake Louise area where we normally have around 22" plus of ice this time of year. We currently have 9-12" average but after drilling some holes for beaver trapping last weekend I found some spots that where 6". Two kids fell thru the channel between Lake Louise and Susitna weekend before last...
    Thanks for that info....I was going to head that way tomorrow and get out to a friend's place.