Thread: My 2014 Fishing Season Highlights!

Default My 2014 Fishing Season Highlights!

Although I am still hopeful that I will get one more trip in December, I decided to compile my 2014 HIghlight Video when I was down with the flu.

What an amazing year. 2014 will go down in my memory as the “Year of the Halibut”. Part of this was forced by the King Salmon closure even in the saltwater to conserve the fish spawning in the streams of Cook Inlet. Fortunately, the feeder kings I targeted this year originate much further south of this area.

I am not sure if the halibut really were larger or if the more focused effort paid dividends, but the halibut I caught this year in Lower Cook Inlet averaged twice as large as the past several years. I know of another kayaker who this year managed a 100 plus pound halibut. That’s the second 100 pound plus halibut I have heard of being caught from a kayak in Cook Inlet over the past several years.

A goal in 2015 is to add to the diversity of my fishing. I have always fished number one to fill my parent’s and my freezers full of some of the best renewable resource protein you could ever hope to eat. We eat fish 2 often 3 times per week. My parents eat it more! We are lucky to live in Alaska. However when focusing on Halibut and King Salmon, I often overlook the hundreds if not thousands of opportunities within driving distance.

Another goal is to get back to Kodiak and try and see if we can find some big kings and maybe a few halibut on the side. I am also looking forward to chasing a few big lingcod and trying out a few more new “super secret projects”...lol.

Finally, I’m hoping to add another dimension to the videos I present in 2015. I am not quite sure what exactly that means. Underwater Videos? More “How To’s”? Still open to ideas!!!

It’s not the fanciest video but given it was done on a low end iMac running free software and free royalty-free music its actually amazing what you can do.

So without any further adieu… My 2014 Fishing Highlights. It’s 17 minutes long so grab some popcorn and a beer. It goes in chronological order so you can watch in more manageable chunks if it gets too boring! Thanks everyone for your support!

Nice work! Enjoyed watching. You really are getting that down to a science. You prove you don't have to spend 1000s and 1000s to enjoy the salt.

awesome work!

Quote Originally Posted by Soundfisher View Post
    Nice work! Enjoyed watching. You really are getting that down to a science. You prove you don't have to spend 1000s and 1000s to enjoy the salt.
    Thanks Guys!

The economics of this fishing is INSANE!!!! I use my 2dr Civic that gets 30 mpg. On a 420 mile round trip toHomer I use 14 gallons or $49 in gas!! No launch fees! No on the water fuel bills!!!! No registration! No insurance!! Minimal Maintenance!!! Of course none of this would mater if you didn't catch fish. But as you can see it does a pretty good job of it! I think really its even better than that.

Here'a scenario. Ya live in Anchorage and it's December. You look at the forecast its calling for NE 20 at 4 to 5 ft in Kachemak Bay. You look up Alaska Highway 511 and see yellow meaning caution for the roads. it's snowing like a banshee in Cooper Landing. Are you going to trailer that 26ft Aluminum boat with dual 150's down the highway? I guess maybe some might, I wouldn't. But with my set up, I don't have any issue going because where I launch I am protected from east winds. The harbor entrance is not. Besides would you really trailer such a nice boat and stay right off the spit??? lol. NO! Been there, split fuel bills. It' not cheap! As long as a my civic which has great top end studded snow tires can make it, I am fishing!!!

I think the biggest drawback to kayak fishing is too many people have been out sea kayaking in the sit inside kayaks. I never have. It's absolutely different than that. Much easier. Much shorter learning curve. They make "stand up" bars for the kayak I have so on a lake, sight fishers and fly fisherman can stand up and fish out of it. it's really that stable. WellI would give anyone encouragement to try it! it's awesome!

Oh and one final benefit...220 pounds in March...180 currently...lol.

Very Nice, you have obviously have done your homework .

Most awesome Rudy! Great vid, fish and music to go along. Congrats on a fabulous year and I look forward to seeing u on the water this coming year. I'll be giving it a whirl again after being away from the home grounds the last few summers. See ya then!
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

Quote Originally Posted by cod View Post
    Most awesome Rudy! Great vid, fish and music to go along. Congrats on a fabulous year and I look forward to seeing u on the water this coming year. I'll be giving it a whirl again after being away from the home grounds the last few summers. See ya then!
    Cod!!!!!!!!!!!!! How goes??? We sure missed ya the past two years year!!! Let's fish!!!!!!!!!!