Thread: SportJet 200 Belt Replacement

Default SportJet 200 Belt Replacement

I had the belt explode on my Phantom Sport Jon today. I was reading up on this problem and it seems to be common. Some said to buy a longer belt to relieve some pressure on the tensioner. Does anyone do this or know what size to replace the belt with?

Quote Originally Posted by AKCarl View Post
    I had the belt explode on my Phantom Sport Jon today. I was reading up on this problem and it seems to be common. Some said to buy a longer belt to relieve some pressure on the tensioner. Does anyone do this or know what size to replace the belt with?
    I've not heard about using a longer belt. That said, over the years, I've noticed that belt issues tend to follow to the same operators. Now before I get flamed, hear me out...

My research shows that 2.5L / 150-175 Opti ProXS props have zero belt issues. IMO, it's b/c rarely do prop jockeys chop the throttle. On the other hand, many SJ jockeys chop and pulse the throttle. While aggressively chopping and throttling, I studied the belt and tension'r. Given the right harmonics, I could spit brand new belts and tension'rs.

Yea that makes sense. I will trying to be more conservative with throttle control.

Is there an aftermarket belt that's cheaper than the mercury marine belt? If so dose anyone know the part number?