Hi folks. Trying to decide between a Tikka T3 Lite Stainless and a Winchester Model 70 Ultimate Shadow, in .300 win mag (or possibly .300 wsm). Or, whether to bite the bullet and pony up (and save my pennies) for a Sako Finnlight.
Based on overall impressions and info gathered, the lightness of the Tikka is a real draw, but I'm a little concerned about recoil in something that light, even with a limbsaver (I'm not especially recoil sensitive, but still...). By the time I buy rings to replace the problematic ones that come with the Tikka, and put on a limbsaver, cost will be around $800
The Ultimate Shadow feels a little more balanced, and I like the floor plate (as opposed to the Tikka mag) and have a general nostalgic affection for Model 70s (my first centerfire rifle as a teen was a Model 70 in .243). However, the Ultimate Shadow in .300 win mag has a 26" barrel, which to me is just a bit unnecessary and unwieldy. And it's about a half pound heavier than the tikka (which might not be a bad thing). But by the time I pay for the rifle, buy rings, have the barrel cut and crowned, we're in the $1000 vicinity. The .300 short mag, however, has a 24" barrel, which would be just about right, so with rings we're talking ~$900-ish.
The Finnlight seems like pretty much everything I would want, in a refined package, just add optics and go. But at $1500, it's double the cost of the Tikka, and 60% more than the Winchester. It would be a real stretch for me, but for a 'lifetime' kind of rifle, I might be able to make it work. But it's a real leap.
1. For folks who actually have a Tikka in .300, what's your experience of the felt recoil?
2. Aesthetics and brand name aside, is the Sako Finnlight really that much better than the Tikka? Should I just get the Tikka and be happy with a 'Toyota,' and forget about my 'Lexus' fantasies, at least for the
3. I know Tikka will shoot well, but at that price point and with that lightness, I'm wondering about ruggedness and longevity. Anyone own Tikkas long term and want to comment on this? Concerns?
4. Any input from folks who have Model 70 Ultimate Shadow (or Extreme Weather)?
5. Any other reflections, considerations, etc., on these 3 rifles?