Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Bear Hunt Planning Dilemma.

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Danbury Texas
    Posts
    57

    Default Bear Hunt Planning Dilemma.

    Good Morning from Texas and I hope all is well. On my never ending quest to plan this black bear hunt I have ran into another snag. My wife has decided that she wants to go with me. I have not problem taking her with me and actually like the idea. However, she is a school teacher and can only go after school lets out sometime after the first few days of June. I have gotten a lot of good info from you guys here on the forum and until now June wasn't the time frame. I know May is a great time but I have noticed a lot of the guides and transporters are winding down their bear trips during the first week of June. Is there anything you can tell me about the problems with hunting in June or possible give me some pointers.

    Thanks,
    TH

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Posts
    1,461

    Default

    You'll want to look them over real well before taking one. The chances of the hide being rubbed increases the longer they are out of the den. That said, I've seen them in June look just fine, and I've seen them in May significantly rubbed. It just depends on the bear and the location. If you're hunting on tidal flats and there is alot of grass that they are walking through each day, the tops of their feet will often be rubbed, which is hard to spot until you walk up to a dead one and discover that it has monkey feet.

    Another factor hunting later is that the vegetation is in full turbo-bloom in June, thereby reducing visability which is a factor if you are hunting them on the hillsides, which is what I do every year in early May (except one year when I took the monkey footed six and a half footer in SE).

  3. #3
    Member JuliW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Palmer, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    1,189

    Default

    What Doc said....

    and..

    I took in a 7 foot blackie last year that was shot the END of June and his hair was absolutely perfect...definitely an exception, but shows they don't always blow their coats when we think they should.
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

  4. #4
    Member willphish4food's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Willow, AK
    Posts
    3,365

    Default

    Bear baiting often doesn't get productive until the beginning to middle of June, here in SouthCentral. You can hunt throughout the night, if you desire, as it doesn't get fully dark, and you will be serenaded by a mosquito chorus if you decide to sleep.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    1,377

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by willphish4food View Post
    Bear baiting often doesn't get productive until the beginning to middle of June, here in SouthCentral. You can hunt throughout the night, if you desire, as it doesn't get fully dark, and you will be serenaded by a mosquito chorus if you decide to sleep.
    Does the meat start tasting bad later in summer? I was actually thinking of planning a summer hunt somewhere on the road this summer.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    AK
    Posts
    4,034

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yukon Cornelius View Post
    Does the meat start tasting bad later in summer? I was actually thinking of planning a summer hunt somewhere on the road this summer.
    Meat starts getting questionable as soon as they start eating fish, in south central that shouldn't be until July or so, unless they find some fishcicles from the previous year!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    1,377

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    Meat starts getting questionable as soon as they start eating fish, in south central that shouldn't be until July or so, unless they find some fishcicles from the previous year!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    And if hey aren't around fish, ten should
    remain fine?

    Ive vey only had fall bear. Our bears out here pretty much are berry bears. But not very common to see.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    AK
    Posts
    4,034

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yukon Cornelius View Post
    And if hey aren't around fish, ten should
    remain fine?

    Ive vey only had fall bear. Our bears out here pretty much are berry bears. But not very common to see.
    As long as they aren't getting into anything rotten and nasty I would expect so. I understand garbage bears can be bad too.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  9. #9
    Member willphish4food's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Willow, AK
    Posts
    3,365

    Default

    I haven't had a bad tasting bear yet from the Willow area, shooting them as late as July 7. ( no longer on bait ;D). My bait station usually kicks one out to me the last week of June, and always excellent eats.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •