Thread: RCBS seater plug issue

Default RCBS seater plug issue

I am having a problem that I hope you guys can help with. Brand new RCBS dies .375 Ruger loading 300grn Barnes TSX.

When I go to seat the bullet, before I even get to correct seating depth the bullet gets pressed into the seater plug and when I go to lower the press it pulls the bullet out of the case and then is stuck inside the die. Is there a different shape plug I can get? It does not list any other plugs in the parts breakdown. I called RCBS but tech guys are gone until Monday. Any ideas?

THANKS!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20141219_160011.jpg  

If it were me, I would fill the bottom of the cup with a little dab of JB Weld and custom fit it with a loose bullet.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

mine leaves a nice ring on the 270tsx. How hard is it to remove the bullet?

Quite a while back I had the same issue with the seating plug on some hand gun bullets. I called RCBS and explained the issue. They sent me a different shaped plug and all is well again. Best bet is to wait until Monday and talk with the techs. They really are very helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Bearcat View Post
    Quite a while back I had the same issue with the seating plug on some hand gun bullets. I called RCBS and explained the issue. They sent me a different shaped plug and all is well again. Best bet is to wait until Monday and talk with the techs. They really are very helpful.
    I have done the same and also sent them a bullet and they custom made a plug. I believe I paid a small fee for the custom.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

I had a set of .308 dies and switched rifles and went from loading hunting bullets to 168SMKs. The seating die would pull the seated bullet just as you describe. I contacted RCBS; can't remember if I sent my old one in or they just sent me a new seater. Problem solved.

I've had that problem with one seater plug and it helped to take the plug out of the die and sand the inside edge a little with some emery cloth.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by dkwarthog View Post
    I've had that problem with one seater plug and it helped to take the plug out of the die and sand the inside edge a little with some emery cloth.
    That sound like goot feex.

SOTN
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Any kind of epoxy will work to custom fit the plug. I would probably use something that set up a little faster than JB but I'm not overly patient. You might try giving the seater plug a couple of twists with your case neck inside deburring tool. This is a problem you will run into occasionally with bullets that don't fit the seater plug well.

Darned if I can remember the product, but years ago a bud of mine used a particular wax to "cast" a perfect fit in his nose plugs. The wax set about as hard as plastic and was durable, yet could be removed or reshaped with moderate heat. If I can think of what in the heck it was, I'll sign back on. In the meantime, most of the other suggestions should work.

Thanks guys....at least I know "it's not just me". I will talk with the tech guys and let you know

I guess it pays to read the instructions that come with the dies. It clearly states this problem under the customer service section in the instructions.....guess I have to send in 5 bullets and have them make me a plug. Have not heard back yet to what it will cost.....

I had that problem once. Happened when I had a compressed load, the bullet would stick in the seater plug. I sanded the plug a little, lubed it up a little and also reduced the charge. It works OK but still sticks sometimes. Makes kind of a popping sound when the bullet is lowered after seating it. I don't load that round much, so just measured each round and have not worried about it much since then.

Quote Originally Posted by Daved View Post
    I had that problem once. Happened when I had a compressed load, the bullet would stick in the seater plug. I sanded the plug a little, lubed it up a little and also reduced the charge. It works OK but still sticks sometimes. Makes kind of a popping sound when the bullet is lowered after seating it. I don't load that round much, so just measured each round and have not worried about it much since then.
    This makes me wonder if the seater fits the top of the bullet so closely, that pulling the bullet out would create a vacuum and it's the vacuum that's making the bullet stick in the seater ...not a mechanical 'grip'. I wonder if you were able to drill a tiny hole on the side of the seater to relieve the vacuum if that would prevent bullet sticking? Hmmmm....

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by STEELHED View Post
    I am having a problem that I hope you guys can help with. Brand new RCBS dies .375 Ruger loading 300grn Barnes TSX.

When I go to seat the bullet, before I even get to correct seating depth the bullet gets pressed into the seater plug and when I go to lower the press it pulls the bullet out of the case and then is stuck inside the die. Is there a different shape plug I can get? It does not list any other plugs in the parts breakdown. I called RCBS but tech guys are gone until Monday. Any ideas?

THANKS!!
    Hornady dies were doing the same thing to me when I was loading 270 & 300 grain Barnes TSX bullets. I contacted Hornady & they basically told me they're dies are made for they're bullets. So I ordered an RCBS neck sizing die & it came with a seater die also. Well guess what, the RCBS's seater die was worse. Like you said it would pull the bullet back out of the case. It was Impossible to load those bullets with the RCBS die. So I took it apart & was able to sand & polish it & it works good now.
    I just gave the Hornady seater plug to my buddy to polish up. I couldn't get it good enough with the tools I had.
    MIT must be the shape of the nose on the Barnes bullets because those are the only bullets out of 11 different styles I've loaded.

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    I have done the same and also sent them a bullet and they custom made a plug. I believe I paid a small fee for the custom.
    I've done the same several times, can't remember what the fee was but I also think it was minimal. If the bullet is one you think you may use for many years, why not have a custom plug machined. The guys at Speer are good guys and will do what it takes to make your reloading life easier.
    Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

Well I just recieved an email from Hornady saying the could make me a custom seater stem for $80 plus shipping. Lol
    Sent email back telling them my buddy was able to polish them up & now they work with any bullet. And $80 for a stem when I paid half that for the whole die set was ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by SweetWilliam View Post
    Well I just recieved an email from Hornady saying the could make me a custom seater stem for $80 plus shipping. Lol
    Sent email back telling them my buddy was able to polish them up & now they work with any bullet. And $80 for a stem when I paid half that for the whole die set was ridiculous.
    I got 2 seating plugs with my 3 die RCBS dies. One is cupped and the other is flat. All I've loaded with it is .500 S & W and I use the flat seating plug with the JHP and the flat nosed bullet. I can see using the cupped plug with pointed bullets but not with the JHP or the lat nosed ones. Using the flat plug would solve all of the bullet sticking problems.

Yes my rcbs pistol dies have to seater stems also. But all of my rifle dies came with one stem no matter what caliber or brand.