Thread: YouTube Video of Brooks Range Float Trip

Default YouTube Video of Brooks Range Float Trip

Great video thanks for sharing, looks like an awesome trip.

Well done Gents!!!!

Merry Christmas

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Excellent. Nice work. When did you go? Looks like early September. No dollies huh?

That is awesome man, i have to do this one day soon.
    Diamond Justice MO 70lbs
    Shut-up And Hunt

Cool video, but I just don't understand why people post the name of that river so often in their reports. It's no secret, but every time it's mentioned it only encourages more and more people to float it and provide more competition for yourselves or the rest of us that have been on it. Too bad you didn't get to see the 10 miles of river above where you got dropped off. It's even more spectacular. I'm assuming the water was too low that late in the season?

Thanks for sharing.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Birdstrike, I thought about editing it, but I used a free program and to be honest it was just too much of a hastle to try to cut the mention of the river out. I understand your criticism, but at the same time there are honestly a limited number of people with the financial wherewithal and hunting experience necessary to complete that trip. Those who can afford it and are capable are also certainly capable of doing what little research is required to "find" that not so hidden gem.

Ok. How about posting a similar report for your favorite deer hunting location in PA? I'd rather not do the research myself and if I have a video guide showing me almost everything I need then my trip will be that much easier and I might be able to get even more buddies to join me.

I'm not a big fan of leaving the footage of firing multiple rounds at that bull in the final edit. I know in the real world one shot kills are not always possible. However, from a spectator standpoint watching the video that was pretty pathetic. If you'd shown the initial shot and then the final recovery nobody would have been the wiser.

I'm glad you enjoyed your trip. Maybe next time you post a hunt report you will consider the implications of giving out too much detail.

Quote Originally Posted by Birdstrike View Post
    Ok. How about posting a similar report for your favorite deer hunting location in PA? I'd rather not do the research myself and if I have a video guide showing me almost everything I need then my trip will be that much easier and I might be able to get even more buddies to join me.

I'm not a big fan of leaving the footage of firing multiple rounds at that bull in the final edit. I know in the real world one shot kills are not always possible. However, from a spectator standpoint watching the video that was pretty pathetic. If you'd shown the initial shot and then the final recovery nobody would have been the wiser.

I'm glad you enjoyed your trip. Maybe next time you post a hunt report you will consider the implications of giving out too much detail.
    Lets play nice,,, how many rivers up there "Float back to the Dalton" ??????

Hello Pot, my name is Kettle.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...oat?highlight=
    Founding Member

.....and there is also a report from a trip a year earlier up there and another report from a trip this year on another river. HOWEVER, my reports are just like yours Stid. For obvious reasons I do not name the rivers involved. That was the gist of my problem with his video. Google is a powerful tool and having a name opens up all kinds of intel.

I'm hoping this discussion will cause others to make the right choice when they post reports.

We get it my friend,, Merry Christmas and Happy New year.
    Founding Member

Plenty of bou to be had, why get mad if you are willing to work harder then the city hunters you assume everyone to be. I absolutely hate that about people, share the wealth its about the challenge not about the kill we all enjoy the outdoors. I for one like to see other have success, not sure if greed has to do with it but with any research or a call one could figure this info out.
    Diamond Justice MO 70lbs
    Shut-up And Hunt

Great video, thanks for sharing! It brought back some great memories...I did the same trip in 2013. We didn't see near the number of caribou you guys did.

I've started to type numerous scathing responses and stopped myself each time. I apologize that you think I've given away your secret spot. I've amended the you tube title to mirror the title of your previous hunt reports. "2014 Brooks Range Fly In Float Out Caribou Hunt" As you can see, I removed the name of the river. I hope this appeases you.

I belong to this forum because I appreciate all the fantastic information I've been able to glean from thousands of posts I've read. I'd feel proud if the video I posted or the report I wrote help some other sportsman fulfill a dream to hunt in the Brooks Range for caribou. I'm intelligent enough to realize that if I had hunted moose on a river, in a spot that wasn't already tremendously popular, I would omit the name and location of such a hunt. The reality is that there are thousands of caribou that live in that herd and that river is well known. My video didn't expose that hunt. I wasn't hunting in some secret sheep spot or moose honey hole. But I digress.

Additionally, it is worth noting that I did state in my hunt report that if I were to chase caribou in the Brooks Range or on the Slope again, I would NOT float that river (and I meant it). I would fly in and hunt in a drop camp. So, I think anyone who does any amount of due diligence would read my report and realize that the amount of variables that are out of your control and logistics involved in floating, makes it the more difficult option. Thus, my report may actually serve to deter people from visiting "your" river.

Thank you for amending the title. This should serve as a reminder to anybody posting reports. If you give a specific name to where you hunted it is very easy for someone to simply drop it into Google or Google Earth and a large part of the research will be laid out for them in the results. If you want to repeat your adventure you will now have Internet scouters joining you.

That particular drainage is far from a secret. Every year it gets reported on. Heck...Larry Csonka even did a nationally televised segment on airboat hunting the lower river. My original post simply contained "but I just don't understand why people post the name of that river so often in their reports.". I do not consider it my river....far from it. If I go back to that part of the Brooks hopefully I'll have the coin to explore one of the other rivers up there. My last trip on the concerned river had a party dropped the day after us at the choke point strip you used thus cutting off any caribou traveling upriver toward us. That was easy to fix by moving below them. There was another group camped at the exit from the mountains and numerous groups farther down. I prefer a far more remote experience. However, for that, as in all of AK, you need to be willing to spend more in air support to get away from the masses.

I did enjoy most of the video. It brought back a lot of great memories and it was interesting to see conditions later in the season. Hopefully you are enjoying the tasty meat you brought back. I just pulled a package of caribou brats from the freezer from this year's quick hunt for tonight's dinner. Cheers!

Great video... Don't sweat mentioning the river name... That's literally the worst kept secret of Alaska... Anyone planning such a trip is well aware of it being an option.

Loved the music selections as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk