Thread: Kodiak Deer with another weird winter

Default Kodiak Deer with another weird winter

I'm headed to Deadman's Bay in a week to hunt deer and maybe goats. Has anyone hunted them (deer) this late without snow? Will they have moved down because the feed is better or be up high (both)? Anyhow, I'm just looking for a few tips on where they might be when we get there.

Right now they are wherever you find them. Some will be on the beaches, they've been getting beach animals sine Sept, at least on this end. but with almost no snow until you hit about 1600, they are whenever they want to be. I saw fresh deer tracks in teh snow up high every day I goat hunted until Monday.
    Life's to short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts

I was in deadmans bay goat hunting early October for 10 days and did not see one deer. I looked hard and it snowed a couple of times. Still no tracks even after the snow. Take it for what it is worth. Might be a ton of them now. Leaves were gone when I was there and we spent a lot of time Glassing. Good luck.

I hunted deadmans for 10 days in November with no snow. We all took deer, out of the four of us two limited out. Got some real nice ones too. We shot some off the beach, some in the hills, and up high. Just got to get out there and look. They aren't running around like everybody makes them out to be. Probably walked 5 to 8 miles a day.

I hunted Deadman's this year in November. No snow, lots of rain and a ton of wind. We didn't have to walk a ton to get 5 deer (two people, hunting for three days). We were not trophy hunting though, so we took two does and three bucks. Nothing big (a small 3 point). Very tasty for sure. Not a ton of bears to be seen. The bigger bucks are still up high with no snow, which really the only issue is daylight right now. By the time you get up to them, you'll likely be coming down in the dark - a great trick is to use some flagging to leave a cookie trail through the alders if you plan on coming out in the dark. Just be sure to take it down when you come back out. Good luck!

Hey good luck Kusko, have a FUN hunt with your daughter. The latest report from last week from where we were at (Uyak Bay) is that the deer are skattered. Don't know where Deadmans Bay is but you should be able to at least get some does and spikes off the beach. The big bucks have been right at snowline. Pick your routes up carefully and you can gain alltitude quickly with plenty of time to drag one down. Stay away from the alders, they can turn into a nightmare quickly. Always be aware of bears, they are out there. We jumped them up high and down low. They seem hungry as there are no fish left and we found several root dig outs. I had no interest in spending time to cut one up and put on back, just gut quickly and get dragging down the hill. Bring some rope! If you tie their front legs up on each side of their antlers they drag nicely and are easier to pull up over logs. Take lots of pics and just have fun with the kiddo!!

I was in Deadman's Bay 2 weeks ago. No deer, goats or snow. Maybe its changed since then...

Thanks for all of the info! This is my first deer hunt, so it will be interesting. I hope the weather isn't horrible. Anyway, did any of you hunt the east side of the bay? Yes, and this is my first hunt with my daughter. Did any of you stay in the FWS cabin? If so, how much oil did you burn per day?

Oh, ya, and be ready for thunder and lightning. No, seriously, twice in the last 2 weeks, have it going on right now....It's friggin DECEMBER!!!! I want snow.
    Life's to short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts

Quote Originally Posted by h20fowler View Post
    I was in Deadman's Bay 2 weeks ago. No deer, goats or snow. Maybe its changed since then...
    Did you have a boat?

Kusko
    PM me with a phone # and I will clue you into what I know.
    I live there but am gone now.
    rick

I've hunted Kodiak through December with no snow. Use calling; a distress bleat (fawn, jackrabbit) brings does running, and sometimes bucks. Antler thrashing can sometimes work, too. Bucks like to hang out above alder line and in alders, but move to the beach at night, and often are still there at daybreak. Look for rosehips and cottonwood groves; they feed in both. Getting up early and coming home late are key.

Quote Originally Posted by Kusko View Post
    Did you have a boat?
    Yes I was on a boat. Was only there a few days.

Listen to Rick's advice Kusko... he knows where they are and what to take.

Hey Rick would u mind shooting me a PM I'd like to chat with u about renting the cabin in Oct or possible other options