Thread: Making wolverine buckets and wolf sets

Default Making wolverine buckets and wolf sets

Had a few pm's asking how I make my wolverine buckets fit 330's. I also happened to have a pair of wolves come thru my line last weekend for the second time in 3 weeks so I made some sets for the next time they come thru. Hope this helps others out there, just a few things I have learned over the years both from error's and from other trappers..
    Here is a trail set that the I made where the wolves came down my trail twice. When looking for a place to make a trail set I like to find a spot to make the set and then ride past about 50-75 yards. That way you can get off your sled, gather your gear, set the trap and then walk off the trail in long strides (like a moose) and make a large loop and come in from the side of where you plan on making the set. Very important not to disturb anything more then you have to.
    Here I reached out and cut away and made the trap bed to set a #9 along with a goove for the chain.

Next is a shot with trap in place. Make sure when ever making a set wether it's a trail set or cubby to always place the dog (trigger) of the trap in either the 9 or 3:00 clock position. I see MANY times, even on TV where the trapper puts the dog at either 12 or 6:00 clock. The reasoning is that when the animal, usually a K9, steps on the pan, and you have it set in the 12 or 6:00 clock position, you run the risk of the animal pulling away faster then the trap can catch them. Especially if the animal doesn't step perfectly on the pan. By running the dog in the opposite direction the trap will fire and catch the animal faster with less chance of them pulling away fast enough. Just something that was taught to me years ago and has been proven..

Here I put the crimpled wax paper over the whole trap before covering. Remember to ALWAYS use clean gloves when handling your traps and wax paper. I use green apes and usually use a couple of pairs that I keep in a big ziplock away from my lures and baits.

Here is the covered trap. Try to make the area look as natrual as possible including removing any sticks or trigs that might alert the animal as they are walking down the trail.

Here is a gift the pair of wolves left me, a pee set. Here, they came up to a small island of trees in the middle of the tundra and gave a squirt. I was able to again, drive past, gather my gear and set my trap, and walk a large loop to the back side of the island and ease down to set the #9 right in their track. I forgot to take a pic of the covered trap but this is a great set that should produce IF they come back thru..

Ok here's the way I cut my wolverine buckets to fit a 330. This is not something I invented but learned several years ago after trying several different ways but nothing that was sturdy and that left me feeling confident after making a set. Here is a pic of the trap set and secured to the bucket.

A close up..

First thing I do with the bucket is remove the wire handle. This gives you two points exactly across from each other to make your marks and it keeps everyting true. I then use a square and make a mark on the edge of the bucket above the handle hole. This is your center mark and from this you make other marks that stay even and able to cut from.

After you have the center marked on the edge of the bucket, make marks both 3" & 4-3/4" from and on both sides of your center mark. On the 3" mark, take your squre and make a mark on the bottem of the second groove. From that mark draw (like in the pic) a semi curved line UP to your 4-3/4" mark on the top edge of the bucket. After both side are drawn up STOP! Really think about this because I do it almost every time I make a bunch of buckets, YOU WANT TO CUT OUT THE CORRECT AREA on the sides of your drawing. I get in a hurry and too confident when I am doing a bunch of them and sometimes get it into my head to start cutting the drawned out area. Believe me, you will do it and if you do don't worry, simply turn the bucket and re draw your cut outs but include where you have already cut. It takes more thinking and concentration but it is salvageable, just takes time. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by trailblazersteve View Post
    Ok here's the way I cut my wolverine buckets to fit a 330. This is not something I invented but learned several years ago after trying several different ways but nothing that was sturdy and that left me feeling confident after making a set. Here is a pic of the trap set and secured to the bucket.

A close up..
    A work of art Steve! Nice pictures. I don't trap much anymore but I intend to get back into it someday after I get my cabin built. Thanks for the share. Very educational. I especially liked your trail sets for wolves.

Almost forgot, always check each bucket for fitting after cutting. You might have to trim some and you don't want to find that out and be fighting a trap to fit after you hauled everything into the field. Also don't forget to drill 1/4" holes all the way around the bucket about 1/2 way down and about 6" apart. These are for running wire thru in case you want to mount the buckets on a leaning pole or tree. Drill a couple of holes in the bottem also to be able to wire you bait inside the bucket too..

Very nice of you to post those pix Steve... looking forward to pix of your catches!
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

Thank you Juli. Slow start this year do to lack of snow. Beating up my machine pretty good. Have the wolf sets out soaking and a few lynx cubbys set. Heading out this weekend with my youngest daughter to open up the lynx cubbys, set some fox and we have a few beaver close to the cabin. Hoping for a nice 1st check on Xmas!

Awesome, thanks for sharing! I've got too much going on in life right now but someday I'm going to give that a whirl! Post pics I the catch, I really enjoy seeing those!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good post Steve just to agree with Steve I can't stress enough the idea of coming in from the side on those trail sets and doing in such a manner that little as possible disturbance is made.
    Good luck out there hope you pick some of them up
    meats meat don't knock it till you try it

This is the most informative and best trapping post I have read in awhile. People like you are truly a help to new trappers. Just showing some of the details that can be overlooked when you are new. Awesome stuff!

Nice job, always able to learn from others things that can be useful! On my coyote and fox sets where I am using traps with "dogs" I usually place a small stick about tooth pic size right alongside the "dog" on the outside of the jaw sticking straight up, really helps steer the foot plant into the center of the pan and reduces "kick outs" if your target animal steps on the jaws and dog. Just curious as wolves are a pack animal do you make more than one set at a stop to try and pick up the "friends" as they circle their partners that got caught?
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....