Thread: Powder Education

Default Powder Education

I'm new to reloading and knowing that powder's tuff to find, I was hoping to get some ideas of the best shops to check in. I have hit most of the shops in ANCH/MATSU. I'm looking for RL-15, 17,19 and IMR 4350 and 4831, not looking to buy kegs or hoard it, just finished up my reloading set up and need me some powder to get started. Are there any stores like SW or BPro that I am just wasting time expecting to catch a shipment coming in. I'd like to narrow my search. Thanks<br>

I've been having excellent luck lately with powders I need at cabelas, sportsmans and chugiak three bears. The Alliant powders can be very tough to find and go fast when word gets out. Cabelas regularly has imr 4350. Just keep checking, Thursday and Friday for cabelas, and Mondays/ Tuesdays at SW have been most productive for me. Good luck. If you really need, we can work some sort of trade maybe I can help you out. What are you intending to load for most?
    have you looked into imr 4064? It is very versatile and an excellent powder for most popular big game calibers

Release Lake Trout

I have found that either Arctic Ammo, Sportsman in Wasilla and 3 Bears are all places to check from time to time. The other thing I have done is to find 'other' powders that will work for my reloading. I have been able to find Accurate Arms powders for calibers that I load for. While I have to work up 'new' loads with these powders, at least I have been able to get powder to shoot. At times, when the old tried and true powders are not out there, it is time to try something else. Whenever we are out and about, we stop in several places just to check to see if they have any powder. One never knows what will show up when!

Thanks for the replies fellas, I'm starting out with 35 whelen and 280 Remington. I have 35 whelen loads that a family friend has loaded for me for many years which has been a fabulous round and a load for the 280 that I was given when I bought it. Since I'm just starting out I was hoping to get the powder for at least these loads so I can invite my friend over to give me some reloader 101. Once I get comfortable or get advice from my friend I might try more available powders. thanks again for the advice, Merry Christmas

Is that you Tipsock?

3 Bears in Chugiak has been getting RL-15 somewhat regularly. I load quite a lot for 35 Whelen, and RL-15 is the only powder you'll ever need for it.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Everyone seems to be getting rifle powders in lately. 3Bears has been getting a lot of the popular powders in lately. I saw a pound of Varget yesterday at the Chugiak store. Call the one at KGB road as they don't seem to get hit as hard as some of the other stores. If you run across any TAC, give that a try in the 35W.

Yes HELOCE, who is this, Nick? These are all the shops I checked that you all mentioned so I'll keep at it, thanks. Yep RL15 w/ Nos partitions is the load I've been using and plan on sticking with it. I need to make up loads for the wife's 280 which is a new rifle to us and not a lot of variety found in factory loads. Those 2 are my priority right now.

Quote Originally Posted by blackhawkranch View Post
    Yes HELOCE, who is this, Nick? These are all the shops I checked that you all mentioned so I'll keep at it, thanks. Yep RL15 w/ Nos partitions is the load I've been using and plan on sticking with it. I need to make up loads for the wife's 280 which is a new rifle to us and not a lot of variety found in factory loads. Those 2 are my priority right now.
    Pm sent...
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by Akheloce View Post
    Pm sent...
    AKHELOCE, PM back at you

The powders your after are some of the most popular so you've got lots of competition for them, but they have been popping up here and there down on the peninsula too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hit Chugiak 3Bears, Wasilla SWH and 3Bears Palmer, all are pretty much on my way home from work, also Arctic Ammo which is close to home. I'm on a call back list at Arctic Ammo, I'd prefer to buy from them anyway. thanks folks

Do consider Hodgdon's Extreme line of powders. They are not temperature sensitive.

Default You Bet

Quote Originally Posted by Kruger View Post
    Do consider Hodgdon's Extreme line of powders. They are not temperature sensitive.

Anything Hodgdon Markets seem to be good stuff in general... Problem is nowadays we can't always find what we want and sometimes have to settle for something that works. You might want to mention that stick and extruded powders are always less sensitive then ball powders, that is just the nature of the beast....What sets hodgdon powders apart is the coating they use on their stick and extruded powders... Varget seems to be very temperature stable I've noticed less then 20FPS spread in more then 50 degrees temp spread...it might not always produce the best groups in every caliber.. but the POI always seems to stay the same.. and in this State thats just about mandatory for a hunting rifle.

Great Northern Guns gets powder in, just not on a regular schedule. Worth a look. You can only buy one pound of each type per day, but that should be plenty for a while.

My Whelens have shot well with just about anything. RL15 has been my favorite. IMR 4064 is readily available and works well, just not as temperature sensitive I hear. I have a pound I could sell you if you need. Varget has also worked well. You are most likely to see 4064 on the shelf it seems.

I stopped in to GNG today on my way home. They have 4064 and H4895, both listed in the Nolser manual for 225g bullets. FYI.

Quote Originally Posted by Daved View Post
    I stopped in to GNG today on my way home. They have 4064 and H4895, both listed in the Nolser manual for 225g bullets. FYI.
    I keep a few pounds of 4064 on hand because it is very versatile. I can load anything I own with it and I have worked up something useful in all of them. .223, .270 and .375!

Thanks everyone, I'm going to pick up some of the other powders mentioned. Learning when some of the typical delivery days are for certain stores helped I think, in the last two weeks I have been able to pick up the powders I need to get started. Still no RL15 though

After reading this thread I spent some time going through my reloading notebook and realized I had forgotten about some of my 4064 loads, based on my review last night I might not buy anything else anymore if I can get one more good load worked up in my .270!

It gave be awesome accuracy (sub MOA) in my .375 with 235gr, 250gr and 300gr bullets.

Thanks Limon, 4064 on my list and I have been seeing it on the shelves