Thread: Kenai Peninsula Wolf hunting

Default Kenai Peninsula Wolf hunting

Anybody know any effective wolf hunting techniques? I have a FoxPro that I used for coyotes and it worked pretty good. Will it work for wolves too?

In 3 years I've only had one come in for sure, didn't see it but I saw it's tracks on the way out.

I've had none respond to howling.

I don't know if they just don't hang out where i call, if I'm doing it wrong, or I just happen to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

From the folks I've talked to about it, it seems like it's pretty tough to do successfully!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    In 3 years I've only had one come in for sure, didn't see it but I saw it's tracks on the way out.

I've had none respond to howling.

I don't know if they just don't hang out where i call, if I'm doing it wrong, or I just happen to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

From the folks I've talked to about it, it seems like it's pretty tough to do successfully!

Never done it myself, but from what I've read: Almost all the hunters that specialize in wolves agree tha howling is the best way to get one. Probably the reason for lack of sucess is that when/where you're hunting, the wolves are elsewhere. They have a huge territorial area. Sucessful hunters put the time to determine when they (the pack) will be in a specific area. Evidently the pack makes somewhat regular rounds of its territory. Hope this helps.

Sit under a tree and act like dinner.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxBasargin View Post
    Anybody know any effective wolf hunting techniques? I have a FoxPro that I used for coyotes and it worked pretty good. Will it work for wolves too?
    Yes, they will work, but everything has to pretty much be just right. Wolves are a bit smarter than yotes. Not here on the Kenai, but I've personally called them in howling with my voice a couple times.

I also know a guy that was recently hunting mule deer in MT. He spotted a pack of wolves not that far away. He gave a good blast on a deer bleat and immediately they all came a running towards him fast. A deer bleat sounds a lot like a moose calf. I wouldn't doubt it would work if they hear it. I'd say it's worth a try anyway.....

Do they make a moose calf call...???
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Yeah I will probably need to try a few different techniques at different times. I believe they do have a moose calf call that I can download from FoxPro's website, maybe I'll give that a try also. I've read that baiting the wolves in with a carcass works well too. I'll try and find the area with the most wolf activity, and give it a shot around there.

Here in 15C, the wolf population isn't that high and the wolves don't really get into packs as much as other areas. Mostly they are just loners or in pairs, but I'll still be trying at them.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxBasargin View Post
    Yeah I will probably need to try a few different techniques at different times. I believe they do have a moose calf call that I can download from FoxPro's website, maybe I'll give that a try also. I've read that baiting the wolves in with a carcass works well too. I'll try and find the area with the most wolf activity, and give it a shot around there.

Here in 15C, the wolf population isn't that high and the wolves don't really get into packs as much as other areas. Mostly they are just loners or in pairs, but I'll still be trying at them.

Thanks for the help everyone.
    ALL of the tracks I've seen have been singles or possibly two, I've never seen tracks from a pack, I've always been curious why that is.

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Yes, they will work, but everything has to pretty much be just right. Wolves are a bit smarter than yotes. Not here on the Kenai, but I've personally called them in howling with my voice a couple times.

I also know a guy that was recently hunting mule deer in MT. He spotted a pack of wolves not that far away. He gave a good blast on a deer bleat and immediately they all came a running towards him fast. A deer bleat sounds a lot like a moose calf. I wouldn't doubt it would work if they hear it. I'd say it's worth a try anyway.....

Do they make a moose calf call...???
    I've yet to find one but I'd love to!

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    ALL of the tracks I've seen have been singles or possibly two, I've never seen tracks from a pack, I've always been curious why that is.

Me too, all I have seen were singles also. I actually saw a wolf last winter and would've shot him but I only had a little .22 that I carried around while trapping. There's probably a reason why they mostly run around solo here, but my brothers saw a couple wolf packs with 5 or 6 wolves during moose hunting season a couple years back. Might just be the season or something..

The good news is that the lice problem is slowly going away. A couple years back Kenny from Skull and Bones said that a number of the wolves he took in didn't have lice and were in good shape.

More people really need to get out after them around here......

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    The good news is that the lice problem is slowly going away. A couple years back Kenny from Skull and Bones said that a number of the wolves he took in didn't have lice and were in good shape.

More people really need to get out after them around here......
    That's good to hear. I saw one that a trapper had a couple years ago up on Tustumena that large, nearly naked spots. It was black.

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    That's good to hear. I saw one that a trapper had a couple years ago up on Tustumena that large, nearly naked spots. It was black.
    Yes, a friend of mine saw one as well and said the same thing as you......

A couple years ago I was in the Kenai Fish and Game office and they had a map with the home ranges of several different packs in Unit 15. They also know approximately how many wolves were in each pack. It might be worthwhile to pay them a visit before you go out so you can plan to call in the highest population areas. Several years ago I noted the wolves were hitting the rabbits hard so if you find an isolated pocket of rabbits you may find a wolf nearby.

If you're looking for wolves in 15c not much for secret spots and they're are packs in 15c. Generally a pack up fox river area. Usually pack in deep creek, they hide in there and venture out to get moose. One of the larger packs hangs out in 1200 road area between 126 trail and clam gulch trail. Usually a pack around ninilchik dome area (could be same pack hunts deep creek area). Then theres usually a pack in upper ninilchik river valley in the falls creek area. Usually a pack in the upper anchor valley down in the nastier stuff. Other places as others have said mostly singles and doubles. Good luck getting them.

Best tip i have is to find fresh moose kill and snare area (easier said than done and easier with plane). Id be careful using foxpro too much. Most wolves have probably heard electronic calls. Get good at howling both wolves and coyotes. Wolves hate coyotes and other wolves in their territory. Looks like you're a moose hunter from your avatar, don't underestimate staking out your gut pile if fortunate enough to get moose in back country. Usually takes longer for wolves to get on it than bears from my experience but wolves will hit gut piles just got to time it right. Good luck they are a smart animal and it my opinion toughest animal to hunt on the kenai.
    Last edited by 33outdoorsman; 12-19-2014 at 23:30. Reason: Typo

Quote Originally Posted by 33outdoorsman View Post
    If you're looking for wolves in 15c not much for secret spots and they're are packs in 15c. Generally a pack up fox river area. Usually pack in deep creek, they hide in there and venture out to get moose. One of the larger packs hangs out in 1200 road area between 126 trail and clam gulch trail. Usually a pack around ninilchik dome area (could be same pack hunts deep creek area). Then theres usually a pack in upper ninilchik river valley in the falls creek area. Usually a pack in the upper anchor valley down in the nastier stuff. Other places as others have said mostly singles and doubles. Good luck getting them.

Best tip i have is to find fresh moose kill and snare area (easier said than done and easier with plane). Id be careful using foxpro too much. Most wolves have probably heard electronic calls. Get good at howling both wolves and coyotes. Wolves hate coyotes and other wolves in their territory. Looks like you're a moose hunter from your avatar, don't underestimate staking out your gut pile if fortunate enough to get moose in back country. Usually takes longer for wolves to get on it than bears from my experience but wolves will hit gut piles just got to time it right. Good luck they are a smart animal and it my opinion toughest animal to hunt on the kenai.
    Thanks, that is a huge help! I'll be sure to check out those areas.

excellent advice. Thanks for it. This guy is spot on

Release Lake Trout

Good luck they are a smart animal and it my opinion toughest animal to hunt on the kenai.
    I would probably have to agree with that.... I've seen more Lynx just being out and about than I have wolves.....

The only drag about killing one during moose season is that their hides are far from optimal. BUT.........a wolf is a wolf and if you happen to get lucky enough to see one you might as well try and take advantage of it.....

Coyote mating season starts soon. If you do wolf howls coyotes will run away. I suggest by coyote calls you have a higher chance of getting either.

Or you could just go here...
    http://www.adn.com/article/20141220/...s-seen-village
    I'd be interested to know how many wolves some of the advisors on these "wolf tactics" threads have actually taken.