Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Historic Wooldridge Pictures

Glen Sr. was always working on something! This picture is a perfect illustration of that. He developed a stick steering mechanism (pictured in the two boats in the background) that enabled the user to turn lock to lock with only a half turn of the helm! A great advantage on a rapid river! Along with light weight aluminum oars also pictured. Neat stuff!

Hi, I recently purchased a 1977 alaskan that's been completely gutted and some of the cross beams have been removed. I was wondering if there might be any photos or sales info of how the boat was originally configured. It's currently got an early 80s merc inline 6 with a jet foot on it, but no tunnel in the hull. Serial number is BWXS18470677

Any info that is available would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,

Quote Originally Posted by mustng691 View Post
    Hi, I recently purchased a 1977 alaskan that's been completely gutted and some of the cross beams have been removed. I was wondering if there might be any photos or sales info of how the boat was originally configured. It's currently got an early 80s merc inline 6 with a jet foot on it, but no tunnel in the hull. Serial number is BWXS18470677

Any info that is available would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,

Congratulations on your boat purchase! The hull number starting with BWX tells me it was made by my uncle Bruce Wooldridge down in Oregon. He's been gone many years and I don't have easy access to any of those records. Sorry I couldn't be more of a help with this.

Quote Originally Posted by Glen Wooldridge View Post

Congratulations on your boat purchase! The hull number starting with BWX tells me it was made by my uncle Bruce Wooldridge down in Oregon. He's been gone many years and I don't have easy access to any of those records. Sorry I couldn't be more of a help with this.
    Thanks for letting me know! I'm really looking forward to getting her out on the water again soon. I took her out right after I got her and got myself (and my wife) pretty well stuck lol. This river boating thing is new and exciting!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/g1uVCQX1Vb4sCXEt7

My Grandpa at his shop in Grants Pass Oregon sometime in the1930’s.

Left to right: Fred Hale, Glen Sr. and Reuben Garcia. Garcia Bagged this Black bear and Hale flew in to haul Garcia and his bear backto Grants Pass. It’s in the book THE ROGUE, A RIVER TO RUN, another greatstory is recounted of Hale (Owner Operator of Grants Pass Air Service) and GlenWooldridge Sr. (Local Guide and Boat Builder) about the Christmas Eve storm andrecord breaking flood of the Rogue River. Hale’s plane crash landed into a treecovered hillside in bad weather. Glen ran his boat down the Rogue on Christmasday at flood stage to perform a daring rescue of his stranded friend. Sound like a Fiction thriller? Nope, just a chapter out of THE ROGUE, A RIVERTO RUN, Where this and many adventures like this are there for thereading.

In 1948 a year after doing the unthinkable and taming the mighty Rogue, Glen and his friend Ruell Hawkins turned their sights to another unthinkable the Salmon River of Idaho. Once again he was successful!

Chow on the bank of the Rogue! What's not to love!

Got tagged in this cool old picture on our Facebook. “Early 90’s me and my dad hauling 1,000 gallons of gasoline to the Napakiak marine with his 28’ Wooldridgeoat”

Bob Wooldridge at the helm of this neat landing craft webuilt and sold up to Galena back in the 1970’s . Powered by a 460ci V8 this 24’ sled was areal workhorse.

Yesterday was Bob Wooldridge's 94thBirthday! Bob has always been a huge part of the business here, and is stillgoing strong today. He's known to make his way around the factory lookingthings over, checking in with the shop workers and telling jokes as he goesalong. Have a Blessed Year ahead Bob!

Sure looks great for 94...!!! Must be all that "clean" livin'...???....lol
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Sure looks great for 94...!!! Must be all that "clean" livin'...???....lol
    Yes he does look good and lives clean, The picture with the boat was earlier this year. The other picture was Monday night out to dinner. Thank you Glen

Excerpt from the book The Rogue: A River to Run. Written in Glens own words, with the author filling in the story along the way. “Ruell was one of the Billings tribe down at the Agness. He was a quite sort of fellow, didn’t have too much to say, but he was a good boatman, probably the best one on the river at that time. Tom Staley went along with us to take pictures.” They trailered the boat from Grants Pass to Riggins, then drove along the dirt road that went up the river a few miles, looking the rapids over.”

Find the book on the Wooldridge Boats website.www.wooldridgeboats.com

Hope you all had a great Christmas. Happy New Year!

Glen senior’s boat shop back in Grants Pass Oregon. The boats pictured are manufactured boats he was a dealer for back in the 50's.

Glen Sr. and Glenn Ballou with two others during the building of Glen's cabin up on the Rouge. They made many trips like this to complete the cabin at Long Gulch. Ballou had worked many years in the lumber and building industries, including being in charge of a portion of the Oregon caves Chateau project. So it was only natural that in his retirement years he would go to work for Glen at the boat shop in Grants Pass, and would do so for another 25 years.

October 31 1977, Dahl Creek Alaska. Its -15 degrees Fahrenheit and these guys are unloading this 18ft Wooldridge sled out of the back of a Fairchild C-82 cargo transport plane! Just another normal day in Alaska! Boat was powered by a 140hp 4-cyl Chevy. Totally awesome!

Very cool! Some guys have all the fun...!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Very cool! Some guys have all the fun...!!!
    Isn’t that the truth!

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast