Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Historic Wooldridge Pictures

Quote Originally Posted by Yukoner View Post
    Great stuff Glenn.
    When your grandfather first started building with Aluminum, what welding process were they using? Any old shots of the builds?
    Really enjoy these images and the history they represent.
    The welding machine's were 3 phase Miller's (mig) with one pound spool guns. I wish I had pictures of welding in the 60's, but I don't know of any. I welded for years with that set up. I am amazed my grandfather had so many pictures from the 20's - 30's & 40's, when camera's weren't carried much.

Here are some early sled's at my grandfathers shop in Grants Pass, OR. The man in the picture is Ray Arman, who worked for my Grandfather for many years. His wife Florence Arman put the book "The Rogue A River To Run" together about my Grandfather. Glen
    P.S. Here's the link to our Store, where you can find the book. http://www.wooldridgeboats.com/store/accessories-and-gifts/the-rogue-a-river-to-run-book-

Glen Wooldridge Sr. with his own design of stick steering during the hydroplane boat races on the Rogue in Grants Pass. (Note-the aluminum oars.) Glen

This picture is down on the Rogue River at my Grandfathers cabin.
    I remember this bear "Yogi" from one of my trips with my Grandfather. They would feed him pancakes. The guy feeding Yogi was my Grandfather's good friend Glenn Ballou. Glen

Here is a awesome interview with Glen Sr.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38WC...ription-upload

Tom

Sponsor

The Hells Gate run was in 1975. My Great Grandfather was 79 at the time. The story is in the book The Rogue, "A River to Run" Chapter 23. Grant

This is a drift boat going through Mule Creek Canyon with the front guy using a Pike Pole to keep the boat off the canyon walls.
    In the book, The Rogue-A River To Run, the back index references 11 pages on Mule Creek Canyon. Glen

Close up of the drift boat.

Hey there Glen Jr., I say Jr.-[ with respect]-, since I met your Grandfather & your Dad, during one of the Boat Races in Grants Pass,,, Circa... July-1971, the year I got back from Viet-Nam,-[all though we used to come-up to those Races quite-abit in the 60's,]-, and then again later that week at his Shop, I believe it was on Lower-River Road, if memory serves me correct.
    My Parents currently live in Grants Pass, out Lower River Road,,,,, White-Horse Park Area,,,, anyway, keep on posting those Old Photos, great work, and your Granddad was "ONE" Helluva Pioneer in that Business.
    Thats my Story, and I'm Sticking to it. >

"TG"
    Last edited by The German; 02-12-2015 at 14:11. Reason: Spelling
    [ Retired and Living the "Dream" in Alaska, Semper-Fi ]

Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Hey there Glen Jr., I say Jr.-[ with respect]-, since I met your Grandfather & your Dad, during one of the Boat Races in Grants Pass,,, Circa... July-1971, the year I got back from Viet-Nam,-[all though we used to come-up to those Races quite-abit in the 60's,]-, and then again later that week at his Shop, I believe it was on Lower-River Road, if memory serves me correct.
    My Parents currently live in Grants Pass, out Lower River Road,,,,, White-Horse Park Area,,,, anyway, keep on posting those Old Photos, great work, and your Granddad was "ONE" Helluva Pioneer in that Business.
    Thats my Story, and I'm Sticking to it. >

"TG"
    I appreciate your encouragement and I will keep on posting them. Glen

This is the end of a float trip down the Rogue. They had to power down to Gold Beach for the last few miles. Notice the inner tube (on the lower right) used to help tow as a shock absorber, so not to jerk so hard. Glen

Here is a great action shot of Glen Senior with a customer, going through some big white water rapids. Note his wide stance for stability. W/B

wow! I feel guilty now about wanting a 3ft wide center council and windshield I bet he had a really good grip on the steering wheel!!awesome pictures glen

Thanks. Correction on yesterday’s caption – Yesterday’s picture was taken in 1951 by Mercury Marine. The man in the boat with Glen was Bob Pritchett, who worked for Glen for years and ultimately bought Glen’s guide service.
    Mercury used pictures taken for advertisements and made a movie of this upriver Rogue trip. They flew Glen and Sadie to New York, to premiere the movie and go to the New York Boat Show. You can read about this in chapter 19 of The Rogue, A River To Run. Glen

This is Glen Senior's boat shop, about 1 block away from his house. Notice the Jackass motor lift on the back transom. Glen

Here's an old pic of my Grandpa in his boat yard. Glen

Were Jack ass lifts used to extend the range of the boats "pre jet" or was it mainly used to avoid rocks in the larger rivers? What year did Glen begin using them?

Quote Originally Posted by sport drifter View Post
    Were Jack ass lifts used to extend the range of the boats "pre jet" or was it mainly used to avoid rocks in the larger rivers? What year did Glen begin using them?
    Jackass Lifts were mainly used for shallow water. My Grandfather noted that the shallower the water, the larger the hump of water was behind the boat. (When running shallow water, the water that is displaced by the boat has to go somewhere, thus, the large hump of water behind the boat.) With this noted, my Grandfather made a lift that raised the prop back & up into that hump of water, allowing a prop boat to run in much less water.
    I have some very old pictures, but don't know for sure when the 1st. one was built, but I do know he made and shipped lots of them from the mid 50's on. Glen

In light of the Academy Awards, here’s a couple pics of Ginger Rogers with my Grandfather.
    She won the Academy Award for Best Actress in 1940 for her performance in Kitty Foyle and made 73 films during her long career.
    You can read about her and the trips she made with my grandfather down the Rogue, starting on pg.138 of the Book, The Rogue A River to Run. “I think one of the best guests we ever had on a trip was Ginger Rogers……..” Glen

In honor of President's Day last week (Monday February 16th.), here's a couple fishing pics of President Herbert Hoover.
    My Grandpa took him out several times on the Rogue. Here's an excerpt from the book The Rouge A River to Run. "President Hoover was a quiet man. He didn't talk much except maybe to ask a question about fishing. He was a good fisherman. I took him fishing several times on the upper Rogue, then he made one trip with me down river to Gold Beach..." He was the 31st. President and was in office from 1929-1933. Glen

If you go onto http://www.wooldridgeboats.com, we have the book "The Rogue A River To Run" on sale. (Click the "STORE" link.)
    Normal price is $24.95. It's now on sale for only $19.95.
    The book is packed with more than 180 historical photos and is a truly fascinating book about Glen Senior's life and experiences on the Rogue River. W/B

Left to right: Bob Pritchett, Glen Sr. and Charlie Foster.
    They are at the finish of their trip up the Rogue in 1947. This was the first upriver trip.
    Charlie Foster worked for Grandpa for years and Charlie’s daughter married Bruce Wooldridge, Bob Wooldridge’s brother. Bob Pritchett worked for Grandpa for years and eventually bought the guide business from Glen Sr. Glen
    Last edited by Icebear; 03-03-2015 at 12:06.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast