Thread: F&G Report - Trends in Sheep Populations, Hunting and Harvest

Default F&G Report - Trends in Sheep Populations, Hunting and Harvest

F&G Report discussed in meetings earlier this year is up on the website.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/ho...report_bog.pdf

Pretty good odds that the BOG is going to move on sheep issues this year, so now is a good time to bone up on the data they will be using to make decisions.

Yk

Interesting to see that this report finds that the sheep population is stable or decreasing and the number of hunters is decreasing as well. Contrary to all the anecdotal reports of more hunters AND fewer sheep.

Maybe the sky isn't falling after all?

Nice to see a map showing where people use guides the most, bunch of other interesting information as well.

Fewer Hunters might also have alot of us who didnt apply or ask for a sheep ticket, because we already know theres a low population......just sayin', its a percentage, anyways.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

On the other side of that are "hunters" that get a harvest ticket and never really hunt.

The place I like to hunt caribou has sheep in the area. So when I go caribou hunting, I bring a sheep HT. So that generally adds a few days of unsuccessful hunting....

My point was mainly that the sky probably isn't falling as bad as many people think.

Quote Originally Posted by oakman View Post
    Interesting to see that this report finds that the sheep population is stable or decreasing and the number of hunters is decreasing as well. Contrary to all the anecdotal reports of more hunters AND fewer sheep.

Maybe the sky isn't falling after all?

Nice to see a map showing where people use guides the most, bunch of other interesting information as well.
    Yeah good point oakman. It seems the data doesn't really support the "feelings" of many sheep hunters. I hope the decisions made are based on solid data rather than on the anecdotes of some folks.

Some data seems to support the feelings of sheep hunters. Per the AK F&G website recent research in unit 13d noted a 21% pregnancy rate in 2012. This was identified as being the lowest pregnancy rate ever recorded for an ungulate. Hard to build up numbers if the pregnancy rate is the lowest ever recorded.