Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Interesting view on hunting

Default Interesting view on hunting

Read this this morning in the Dispatch.

http://www.adn.com/article/20141216/...-entertainment

Opinions... people have them.

I just read that. I can't believe how many ignorant anti hunting idiots there are in this state. It really doesn't matter to me why you hunt, sport food trophies. What should matter is that it's done ethically legally and the game is not wasted. If you have 20grand to spend on a trophy guided hunt and you don't eat game meat, donate it or give it away.

Ya, I kinda took offense to the artilce, like that guy was trying to tell us something we didn't know. Maybe he didn't mean it that way, but I took it that way. I know why I hunt, it's because I ENJOY it and I like filling my own freezer.
    Life's to short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts

I took offense to the article...and some of the comments too. Makes me wonder where some of those people migrated from.
    "Grin and Bear It"

Basically, I think John is a reasonable guy with a good perspective. In this case, I thought the premise was good (ie respect your food and the game), but there were some pretty offensive things thrown in there (bow and blackpowder comments) along with a fair share of hypocrisy.

Take what you like and leave the rest, I suppose. I do agree that there are things to find offensive about that article.

I don't agree 100% with his view, but certainly don't take any offense to it. It's his opinion, I have my own, no reason to get upset about it.
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Quote Originally Posted by dkwarthog View Post
    Basically, I think John is a reasonable guy with a good perspective. In this case, I thought the premise was good (ie respect your food and the game), but there were some pretty offensive things thrown in there (bow and blackpowder comments) along with a fair share of hypocrisy.

Take what you like and leave the rest, I suppose. I do agree that there are things to find offensive about that article.
    If you are proficient with your weapon then what he said is just an ignorant opinion. I wonder how many of the caribou got away with cuts to their necks from the "super efficient" cutting of throats. I really can't believe the crap that gets put in today's news. And maybe we could migrate some of these people back to where they came from.

Good read and I agree with most of what was have written, but......Lots of us truly enjoy hunting for the experience. In 17 years I have only not filled my tags once and the other years those animals were not all trophy bulls but meat.

We cant run down the other guy in an effort to prove out point as right. I do think our obsession of watching these hunting shows is a mistake as often times it is not "Fair Chase". I about loose my lunch every time the hunting show celebrity does the high 5 and gets all pumped up for the camera, makes the hunting community look foolish.

One mans opinion!

Walt
    Northwest Alaska Back Country Outfitters
    Drop Camps & Float Hunts
    Unit 23-Kotzebue
    www.northwestalaska.com

Yoda, I'm not sure if youre agreeing or disagreeing with me. I think we are mostly on the same page.

I guess I'm a little confused how this article came from the John Schandelmeier that I am familiar with. As a trapper, distance dog musher, and long time bush dweller, I always thought he and I were of similar minds. Maybe its his young idealistic, former model wife, who is rubbing off on him.

Quote Originally Posted by Gulkana Rafting View Post
    We cant run down the other guy in an effort to prove out point as right. I do think our obsession of watching these hunting shows is a mistake as often times it is not "Fair Chase". I about loose my lunch every time the hunting show celebrity does the high 5 and gets all pumped up for the camera, makes the hunting community look foolish.
    I feel the same ay Walt, I can't watch most of the "hunting shows" anymore either. very few are hunting. most are hardcore advertising for some new archery whisbang that is the greatest thing since sliced bread.
    Life's to short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts

He shows his ignorance right off the bat by calling a cow, HE. Every cow I have seen has been a SHE.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Apparently this guy isn't aware of the advancements in technology regarding archery tackle and muzzle loaders. Or the training and/or certifications required to hunt with them. It's not the 1880's anymore..
    He's running his biased pie hole on what fact based intel?

Quote Originally Posted by dkwarthog View Post
    Yoda, I'm not sure if youre agreeing or disagreeing with me. I think we are mostly on the same page.

I guess I'm a little confused how this article came from the John Schandelmeier that I am familiar with. As a trapper, distance dog musher, and long time bush dweller, I always thought he and I were of similar minds. Maybe its his young idealistic, former model wife, who is rubbing off on him.
    I was agreeing with you. Didn't mean it if it came off otherwise.

Just one man's opinion. That's all. I agree with some points (we should respect the resource and make humane kills), and disagree with others (banning bowhunting, muzzleloading, and catch and release fishing etc.). It doesn't surprise me that some people feel like this. What surprises me is that someone would think his opinion was worthy enough to publish in a newspaper column. Actually it doesn't surprise me coming from the ADN. To each his own I guess.

I really enjoy most of John's articles, and agree with him more often than not. I appreciate the main point of the article (valuing and respecting the animals we hunt, knowing where our food comes from), though I disagree with some of the details (equating bowhunting with playing with one's food). Agree or not, these are good things to think about and to reflect upon, so for that reason alone I see value in his piece.

As for being offended by it, seriously...there are a lot of things in this world worth taking offense to. Something as innocuous as this? Hardly.

It's always life and death for the caribou, hunters or not.

Mr Schandelmeier,
    I'll see your hand-built stone fence and raise you a Point Hope.
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    ...As for being offended by it, seriously...there are a lot of things in this world worth taking offense to. Something as innocuous as this? Hardly.
    Not too offensive, unless of course you are a bow hunter, black powder hunter...or use a long, sharp, pointy caribou knife.
    "Grin and Bear It"

Sayak, a profound point you make indeed...thx

Yoda..thx, I figured that was what you meant...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast