Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "GROCERIES" shipped by U.S. MAIL....ANY Experience..?????

Smile "GROCERIES" shipped by U.S. MAIL....ANY Experience..?????

Does anyone have experience ordering groceries from Lower 48 or Los'Anchorage, or from anyplace and having them shipped by USPS or FEDEX or UPS or any shipper.......????

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Does anyone have experience ordering groceries from Lower 48 or Los'Anchorage, or from anyplace and having them shipped by USPS or FEDEX or UPS or any shipper.......????
    All the time. What you need to know?

Do you use Northern Air Cargo.......??? Or how are they shipped......??? Do you use an Anchorage expeditor....???

Quote Originally Posted by Yukon Cornelius View Post
    All the time. What you need to know?

D
    I have more time now. We've been mailing our groceries for three school years now. We no longer order from lower 48 stores except amazon.
    If you wanted to go lower 48 route the flat rate boxes are a deal if you are ordering around 20 lbs or more and they fit. I've had family send produce up in flat rate bodes as well as canned stuff. Lower 48 shipping prices have more than doubled in our time up here.

We we find places that offer free shipping to AK and those places aren't numerous. I will contact places that offer free shipping to lower 48, and I ask for a discount in shipping equivalent to the free shipping. No one has taken me up on that offer and I cancel my order ($2-400 worth). These are usually organic veggie type places.

Many stores in town run bush programs. I know Fred's, Walmart, three bear, and possibly costco do. I refuse to use walmart. I have been told that three bears might be best option. We do use Fred's quite often. The debar/Muldoon location has the bush dept. I can get 5 dozen eggs for $9. We have ordered 25 dozen eggs this school year and have lost one dozen total in breakage. That's pretty impressive. I order produce, coconut milk, eggs, bacon, cheese, and other groceries that are mailable. No issues. I'm charged a $10 less than $100 or 10% fee over $100 and that includes packing and handling. Shipping is separate but the rate is pretty good (contract with USPS) and it arrives within three days unless weather is bad. I go online and look at their flyer. I don't mind the 10% fee! because I don't have to pack or mail. I get them to freeze the bacon and it arrives still cold. I just refreeze. I've also ordered gas cans, household stuff, etc from Fred's.

Supposedly three bears doesn't charge a handling fee. I've yet to check it out.

When end we make town trips we carry 18 gallon rubber totes as luggage. Our clothes are always mailed back and we bring totes with chicken and pig and seafood and fresh and frozen veggies. We hit up Costco for a bunch. Each trio we will spend $1500 in groceries and odds and ends. Then we carry it all to the post office. Don't secure until you weigh. We use a drill to drill holes in the lids/lips of the totes. I label each tote with a symbol, number, math problem to match up. Makes it easier to match lids that way. We also color code our totes. Blue will be groceries, red is non perishable etc...makes it easier when we get home. 2 story house. Food upstairs, no food items downstairs. I ship everything priority unless I'm not in a rush and it isn't busy season. Them I will mail parcel, but a 60lb tote will cost about $35 to ship,priority. We mail apron the airport PO around closing time. They usually arrive the next day in our village. We do have daily air service.

We don't use ups or fed ex. They contract through USPS, and their rates are nowhere near what we get. I've never had anything lost, had maybe two boxes have some damage,but all items were good.

If you want to know more specifics, send me a PM.

Do you use Northern Air Cargo.......??? Or how are they shipped......??? Do you use an Anchorage expeditor....???
    Never freighted. I know that Fred's charges a $35 fee to carry to freight, then the freight charges. I have a full freezer, and we bring chick and pig back with us. Not sure if the freight makes it worthwhile.

I will ill say that this summer, i
    we plan on going to Fairbanks and doing our shopping there and barging all our no perishable stuff. Lot cheaper. But we are pretty well stocked. Can foods are getting low.

Most expeditors charge more more than the stores for handling. But they do go where you want them to.

I order stuff and have it sent USPS. I order wolf brand chili by the case stright from the factory for frito pie and chili dogs.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    I order stuff and have it sent USPS. I order wolf brand chili by the case stright from the factory for frito pie and chili dogs.
    I've thought about ordering straight from company before. Do you order in bulk? Curious how you do it.

Btw ow flat rate box with in the state of Alaska is only cost efficient if you mail at minimum 20 lbs. you can get 20 cans in a long large flat rate box btw. I was able to ship 60 lb adjustable dumbbells, power tech ones, in a large box from GA. Lol. Would have cost me $155 priority, got it for $17.95.

I read recently about Amazon Prime being quite the steal for rural Alaska customers. Free shipping on everything - even to Bush Alaska - and there is a pretty amazing variety of goods available. The article talked about king size mattresses and even a log splitter being delivered for free.

Wow........I see that this is an area that I want to learn everything that is learn-able about. I am accessible to the road system; However I loath the drive to the city in the winter, in the dark. It costs me about $105.00 round trip for fuel.

NOTE to MIKE........this subject could be a wonderful "SUB-FORUM" with lots of interest.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    I read recently about Amazon Prime being quite the steal for rural Alaska customers. Free shipping on everything - even to Bush Alaska - and there is a pretty amazing variety of goods available. The article talked about king size mattresses and even a log splitter being delivered for free.
    We use prime. Even get a small discount by having the renewable/subscription order. Our toilet paper and pear towels are set up this way. As well as pasta. There is variety, but there are things we just can't find. I'm curious about this king size mattress. We want to get a better mattress. Our district bought us two twin beds. We duct taped the frames together and bought a memory foam topper. It sucks.

Wow........I see that this is an area that I want to learn everything that is learn-able about. I am accessible to the road system; However I loath the drive to the city in the winter, in the dark. It costs me about $105.00 round trip for fuel.

NOTE to MIKE........this subject could be a wonderful "SUB-FORUM" with lots of interest.
    If we lived on the road, we'd still do the inline shopping. I hate the crowds. I also hate spending time sitting in traffic. My sister lives in ATL area and she shops online with amazon.

I will ill say this about prime. The free shipping is not as abundant to is as it was three years ago. Not nearly as many items.

Amazon prime is a good deal! I just received my Christmas present (Hobart Handler 140 wire feed welder) free shipping, box said 70lbs.
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

Lol. Yeah, there aren't enough forums already. What? 200? We should strive for quality forums, not quantity.

Btw, I've only shipped USPS to/from Dillingham. Food, drinks, beer. Not cheap, but cheaper than buying goods in Dilly.

I've also have 'regular' Amazon (not prime) and have had camper tie downs shipped up for 'free shipping.'

Well.........The QUALITY is in the QUALITY of the members responses to thread subjects. If member's would aspire to start new and interesting threads, this would help a lot. The other factor in QUALITY of posts is.........the ankle biter's (Want'to-be) with LOW field experience keep taking cheap shots at men like Joe Want, till they just say, "To Hell with trying to help, if all you get is attacked".....

But let's face it, the majority of readers come to this and other hunting based forums, to read and look at photos in "SUCCESSFUL" hunt reports.

Sadly many live their life and their dreams vicariously through the success and adventures of the few.

Quote Originally Posted by tccak71 View Post
    Lol. Yeah, there aren't enough forums already. What? 200? We should strive for quality forums, not quantity.

I got to thinking about your fuel cost to go to the grocery store. One thing to consider is that your shipping costs will exceed your fuel cost. However, the positive is you don't have to drive, put wear and tear on your vehicle, or pack the stuff.

I called three bears this morning. They do the bush orders with no handling fees. Just pay for the goods and shipping.

Yes, the other thing is that I need to sell the go to town "Tractor" (that gets 9.87 MPG) and buy a normal SUV that gets 23+ MPG.

Quote Originally Posted by tccak71 View Post
    I'm taking about winner's like: AK surfing forum (10 threads) and AK Cruises (0 threads) and others. Non-sensical. The goal seems to be to get to 1,000 forums or something. World forum domination, or something to that effect.

No hijack intended though. Carry on!!

Or the ask the wildlife trooper forum

I do like the idea of this thread as a sub forum. I really do. It is amazing how many people would benefit for it. When we moved up here, we had no idea what we were getting into. We moved straight from metro ATL to the bush.

Luckily a teacher reached out to us and walked us through the shipping. We also found an internet forum that helped.
    I reach out to all our new teachers, as well as new teachers to the state. AK is just different.

I would like to see a forum (Maybe not here, maybe elsewhere) that foods and grocery store "Stuff" appropriate for shipping is for sale. Kind of like shopping for #10 cans of MT. House food. Some companies will mix different cans of food in one case, and others only offer a case of all the same.

I get a thing called the "Bush Mailer" about every two weeks that offers some foods.

I would like to see a forum (Maybe not here, maybe elsewhere) that foods and grocery store "Stuff" appropriate for shipping is for sale. Kind of like shopping for #10 cans of MT. House food. Some companies will mix different cans of food in one case, and others only offer a case of all the same.

I get a thing called the "Bush Mailer" about every two weeks that offers some foods.
    don't do the bush mailer stuff. So far, we have found the regular Fred Meyer's, Walmart, and Three Bears as the most cost efficient.

I just placed an order yesterday from Fred Meyers.
    I will pay the same thing anyone else would pay. I get the same discounts using my rewards cards. I get charged 10% of my total bill which is their fee for their boxes, packing supplies, and labor. Then I will get charged shipping, which is a better rate than I get if I mailed myself.
    Boxes will arrive Friday or saturday.

So I save an hour of my time shopping (pay myself my hourly wage and the 10% fee is a great deal for me).
    I've price compared from these other places in the bush mailer. They have a mark-up on their products. Some of them charge 25%. I'll pass.
    Another good thing about the Fred's is that I can order however many I want. I don't have to buy cases. I can get anything that they sell in the store that I can legally ship (No alcohol, flameable products, meat, etc...) but I have gotten them to mail hotdogs and bacon. I accepted responsibility if they went bad.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast