Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Warning!!! BOG concerning birds/dogs March 13-17, 2015

Default Warning!!! BOG concerning birds/dogs March 13-17, 2015

Southcentral Region – March 13-17, 2015
    Comment Deadline: February 27, 2015 ACR Deadline: Januaury 12, 2015
    Location: Anchorage - University of Alaska Anchorage Student Union

Prop 194: Prohibit the use of hunting dogs for taking upland birds after October 31st in the South Central Region Units.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...ting=anchorage

I think this prop is terrible, and I support my fellow South Central bird doggers. I would hate to see this pass and end up in the interior where I hunt. If you hunt upland birds over a gundog, you need to fight this! You can comment online.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...gameboard.main

Stolen from a South Central friend:

For Southcentral Alaska upland hunters using bird dogs. There is a proposal #194 before the Board of Game during the upcoming March meetings that requests a restriction on using dogs for upland hunting after October 31st. The author of the proposal, Al Barrette, justifies the proposal to eliminate birddogs being caught in lawful traps during trapping season. The proposal is poorly constructed, even if it had any merit, which it does not and it would seem the BOG would see this for what it is and reject it rather quickly. Never the less, it seems very appropriate for those of us who do hunt all season with our bird dogs to voice objection, either in written form or at the March 13-17, 2015 BOG meetings.
    Have no idea who Mr. Barrette is and my first thought was this was an anti-hunting proposal but the wording “lawful traps” suggests this may be a trapper who had a bad experience with a bird dog. If it was it is a very rare occurrence. Most dog/trap incidents are cases where someone has set traps in or close to residential areas or well used trail heads, etc… where any dog could be caught and most are simply family pets out for a walk or perhaps running loose. It seems bird dog folks here are very aware of trap issues, respectfully and with the safety of their dogs in mind, steer clear of traplines. There will always be some risk but to request a closure of five months of our season as a means of illuminating the possibility is ridiculous and obviously would only apply to hunting with dogs, not skiing with, hiking with, or snow shoeing with any dog. The proposal is so ridiculous it hardly seems worth worrying about but…stranger things have happened and better to voice your objection so it is very clear to the BOG we don’t want such regulations.
    "If I could shoot a game bird and still not hurt it, the way I can take a trout on a fly and release it, I doubt if I would kill another one." George Bird Evans

Holy SHOOT.

Really????? Guess I'll get busy writing....

Common sense seems to be lacking more and more these days.
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

There is an anti trapping proposal in the current Proposal Book.

Proposal # 180:

….Specifically, worries about trapping hazards... severely restricts the ability of bird hunters to hunt with their dogs,….

It looks like some bird hunter/s jumped in bed with the antis on this one. It would be good if some real bird hunters would help shoot down this proposal too.

Quote Originally Posted by extrema View Post
    There is an anti trapping proposal in the current Proposal Book.

Proposal # 180:

….Specifically, worries about trapping hazards... severely restricts the ability of bird hunters to hunt with their dogs,….

It looks like some bird hunter/s jumped in bed with the antis on this one. It would be good if some real bird hunters would help shoot down this proposal too.
    Thank you for pointing this out. I admit I missed it. I read through 180 and have a hard time believing this was written by dog running bird hunters. It seems like it was written by anti-trappers, who basically included every user group they could to help support their prop. I wouldn’t go as far as saying anyone jumped into bed with anyone else on this. Prop 180 is very specifically and intensively written for the Kenai area. Being that I am in the interior, it’s hard for me to comment too much on the specifics because I’m just not familiar with the issues down there. All that being said, I support trapper’s rights (as do friends in the Kenai area that are also dog running bird hunters). I am (mostly formally) a trapper. I encourage everyone to take the time to read through 180 (because it’s long) and support responsible and ethical trappers.
    "If I could shoot a game bird and still not hurt it, the way I can take a trout on a fly and release it, I doubt if I would kill another one." George Bird Evans

HTTP Status 404 - /cf1/dfg/dfgpublic/index.cfm...gameboard.main

type Status report
    message /cf1/dfg/dfgpublic/index.cfm...gameboard.main
    description The requested resource is not available.

Tomcat

Looks like those links in the first post are unavailable...is there somewhere else to check this out? Where do you view the proposition 180?
    Thanks
    "Grin and Bear It"

Prop 194: Prohibit the use of hunting dogs for taking upland birds after October 31st in the South Central Region Units.

I think this prop is terrible, and I support my fellow South Central bird doggers. I would hate to see this pass and end up in the interior where I hunt. If you hunt upland birds over a gundog, you need to fight this! You can comment online.

The links you posted over in Gun Dog Training work for me. Thanks for posting!
    "Grin and Bear It"

Quote Originally Posted by Hoyt View Post
    ...Have no idea who Mr. Barrette is and my first thought was this was an anti-hunting proposal but the wording “lawful traps” suggests this may be a trapper who had a bad experience with a bird dog.
    A google search seems to point to Mr. Al Barrette as being a Bible totin' wolf trapper...
    "Grin and Bear It"

This is not good for trappers or bird hunters with dogs. The antis love this bickering. I would ask trappers to come out against this, or cause the author to withdraw it immediately.

How does one go about causing the author to withdraw his proposal?
    "Grin and Bear It"

The same Al that owns Fairbanks Fur tannery? I thought the name sounded familiar. He was on the BOG briefly at one point.

Quote Originally Posted by Tearbear View Post
    A google search seems to point to Mr. Al Barrette as being a Bible totin' wolf trapper...
    Actually I can't say that he totes it...I will say instead that he quotes it. Saw a video of him skinnin' wolves while quoting.
    "Grin and Bear It"

By asking him to withdraw it.

Dog gone it! what the heck do people do, sit around and think of crazy ideas?

There is definitely a specific person/group to point a finger at on this and it isn't Bird Hunters or Trappers. Instead you need to point directly at Mr. Green. Ken Green to be specific. He is the master mind behind this mess. He has submitted the proposal mentioned above to prohibit trapping on the Kenai. Borough ordinance prohibits dogs running off the leash unless they are engaged in a hunting activity. So his argument that trappers were harming dogs didn't hold up since doge are not suppose to be roaming free. In order to give his argument some validity he decided to throw bird hunters under the bus and pit them against the trappers. Problem is we can't seem to find the angry bird hunters to back his claim. This is an easy fix. Bird hunters and Trappers stick together and defeat Mr Green and his local group of irresponsible dog owners. If Mr Green's proposal is defeated the trappers will not push their proposal. Trappers have no problem with bird hunters running dogs all winter, and we never will. We do, however, have an issue with losing our rights to trap public ground. Believe me, we are all on the same team here, and that team needs to defeat Mr Green.

BowhuntAK,

Both 180 and 194 just cause division between outdoor groups and is hurting everyone. No one should be using the BOG like this. I believe it is now too late for either to withdraw their proposal, and this is too bad. There is a firestorm of activity on this now and that's a **** shame. We do need to get along out there. The last thing I ever want to do is put my bird dogs down anywhere near where someone is trapping. It is a constant fear of mine throughout the year because some will leave snares out there all year long, either from laziness or ignorance. It would be nice if all of this just went away, but I fear it will not.

I'd much rather be having this conversation with you while watching a good dog work. I can understand your concern about traps and trapping but the problems have been very isolated from what I understand. I wish this had been handled different. The proposal wasn't even submitted by a bird hunter. The trappers reacted in a defensive way and now here we are. The proposals don't need to be withdrawn for us to win this on the same side. If I am in town and able to break free from work I would enjoy meeting any of the concerned bird hunters and testify in front of the BOG with a unified stance. That stance needs to be that we as outdoorsman will not let outside interests divide us.
    I also wish we could refrain from mentioning the lazy/irresponsible members of our fraternity. I could go on about irresponsible dog owners getting us all in this bad situation but it is a losing proposition far the overall goal. I have many frustrations with a select few users in many categories but lets not let this effort go that direction.

Kyle Wait
    Palmer AK

I am not atrapper but over the years have always said “no” when faced with voting on various proposedrestrictions on trapping. Why? First, I understand what it means to bepassionate about a pursuit/lifestyle, and I’d never want to deny someone their passionso long as it is done responsibly and sustainably. Second, there is strength in numbers and alloutdoorsmen need to be united against those who seek to limit opportunities tohunt/trap/fish.

With thatsaid, I am still trying to get my mind around the misguided strategy behind194. In my mind there is no linkagebetween 180 and 194. Whatever is happening with the Kenai Peninsula (180), the notion that upland bird hunters can/should/will bestrong armed into a quid quo pro – specifically, to rally against 180 so thattrappers back off on 194 - is disturbing. I would hope that mainstream trappers and the ATA recognize that they shouldbe unconditionally coming out against 194; the last thing they need is to lose supportof upland bird hunters.

I agree with you Akgrouse, and in my letter to the Board of Game I told them so. I think using the BOG in this manner is very wrong. But everyone now needs to write in their opinion. Neither 180 or 194 should be given any serious consideration.

I had my Qualified All Age Retriever caught in a snare while walking my dog spring last year after the trapping season was closed 600 yards from my home in the valley. A responsible trapper would not be trapping in areas close to where people live, right? There will come a time when a few irresponsible individuals will spoil it for all, that time has come. Another dog was killed in front of his owner in a conabear recently in the valley. I did testify against the trappers proposal to stop bird dog use and expect to see a push to restrict trapping because of the irresponsible actions of a few. By the way I caught my first wolverine this year in a conabear and have a dozen wolves under my belt in snares and would not want to see either activity restricted in remote areas.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoyt View Post
    Southcentral Region – March 13-17, 2015
    Comment Deadline: February 27, 2015 ACR Deadline: Januaury 12, 2015
    Location: Anchorage - University of Alaska Anchorage Student Union

Stolen from a South Central friend:

For Southcentral Alaska upland hunters using bird dogs. There is a proposal #194 before the Board of Game during the upcoming March meetings that requests a restriction on using dogs for upland hunting after October 31st. The author of the proposal, Al Barrette, justifies the proposal to eliminate birddogs being caught in lawful traps during trapping season. The proposal is poorly constructed, even if it had any merit, which it does not and it would seem the BOG would see this for what it is and reject it rather quickly. Never the less, it seems very appropriate for those of us who do hunt all season with our bird dogs to voice objection, either in written form or at the March 13-17, 2015 BOG meetings.
    Have no idea who Mr. Barrette is and my first thought was this was an anti-hunting proposal but the wording “lawful traps” suggests this may be a trapper who had a bad experience with a bird dog. If it was it is a very rare occurrence. Most dog/trap incidents are cases where someone has set traps in or close to residential areas or well used trail heads, etc… where any dog could be caught and most are simply family pets out for a walk or perhaps running loose. It seems bird dog folks here are very aware of trap issues, respectfully and with the safety of their dogs in mind, steer clear of traplines. There will always be some risk but to request a closure of five months of our season as a means of illuminating the possibility is ridiculous and obviously would only apply to hunting with dogs, not skiing with, hiking with, or snow shoeing with any dog. The proposal is so ridiculous it hardly seems worth worrying about but…stranger things have happened and better to voice your objection so it is very clear to the BOG we don’t want such regulations.
    What ever came of this...???
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast