Thread: 26' olympic re-power

Default 26' olympic re-power

I'm looking at pulling out my existing volvo (501, 305 cid, 229hp) SP outdrive. I'm considering adding an Armstrong bracket with two outboards with around 300hp or a volvo 5.7 Gxi 320hp with DPS. I could really use some expert opinions. I'd really appreciate it.

This has been done a lot in Southeast. I am familiar with 26' ers with a Yamaha 150 commercial 2 stroke, a Honda 225, and a Yamaha f250 3.3l and all were great. All had Armstrong brackets.

Sobie2

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

I repowered a trophy 2359 a while back. Pulled out the 305 and replaced it with a 350 MAG. If I had it to do over, I definitely would go with twin outboards.

A few years old, maybe be helpful, promise to post results if you switch to a OB.............
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...hlight=olympic
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

Why were you unhappy with that motor?

Great link! Have you ever heard of the bracket with twin outboard changing the ride of the boat? I like outboards but I'm not sure if the cost is worth it.

If it was my boat I would repower with the Volvo and DP. I do not like fishing around all that hardware.

After having worked on both I/O and outboard boats, I'm an outboard fan and wouldn't go otherwise on on smaller boats less than 30'. Bigger and heavier than that diesels seem or make more sense for fuel economy.
    The lower units on I/O's are expensive to fix (how often do you hear of people replacing lower units on outboards?), and the engines take up deck space. Fishing? I don't see any advantage to the I/O, still gotta watch out for the lower unit and even more so compared to my outboard props as they are a whole lot closer to the surface and not difficult at all to work any halibut or salmon around them.
    Don't know of any northwest or Alaskan boat builders producing I/O powered boats, kind of a thing in the past where they were an alternative to 2 stroke outboards.
    Saw a 26' Olympic flybridge with twin Honda 130's on a bracket at the fuel dock a while back and it was a pretty slick setup, guy ditched the I/O in favor of the bracket & outboards, good on fuel, made a flush deck lid over where the doghouse used to be and now has a bunch more storage.
    Check out Quickwater Adventure water taxi/transport services: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Quick...37553606260978

My thoughts on repowering an I/O are to either stick another
    I/O in it or go with a big single outboard. The reason I wouldn't go with twins is cost, I think you can do a single for cheaper, plus less weight and less transom space taken up.
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

BAJABRI,

I used to own a 26' Olympic that came rigged from the factory (Sea Dory after they purchased Olympic) with an Armstrong bracket and twin 135 Hondas. Great performance but just too much weight on the back of the boat. Talked extensively with the Olympic as well as the Armstrong bracket people and tried just about every fix I could think of, but ultimately ended up having to use plugs in the scuppers to keep the back deck from flooding when loaded. Based on my knowledge, I think you would be fine with a single 225 on the Armstrong bracket, but if you wanted twin 135/150's you may want to consider having a custom bracket fabricated that would provide more buoyancy than you will get from the Armstrong. Hope my experience helps you out.

Quote Originally Posted by Zman2 View Post
    BAJABRI,

I used to own a 26' Olympic that came rigged from the factory (Sea Dory after they purchased Olympic) with an Armstrong bracket and twin 135 Hondas. Great performance but just too much weight on the back of the boat. Talked extensively with the Olympic as well as the Armstrong bracket people and tried just about every fix I could think of, but ultimately ended up having to use plugs in the scuppers to keep the back deck from flooding when loaded. Based on my knowledge, I think you would be fine with a single 225 on the Armstrong bracket, but if you wanted twin 135/150's you may want to consider having a custom bracket fabricated that would provide more buoyancy than you will get from the Armstrong. Hope my experience helps you out.
    I have looked at Armstrong and I know they are a well know name in the world of brackets....question is: was it a "Flotation" type bracket?

I have seen them built both ways.
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

They don't seem to have a lot of beam so I could see how weight is a consideration. The boat I saw the guy was just nuts over it and didn't mention any weight issue and the boat didn't look stern heavy at all. I don't think you could go wrong with a full transom bracket that adds floatation.
    Actually if going that route, talk to Bayweld about a custom setup. They've done those and built them as an actual hull extension giving you additional planing surface. It's not as expensive as you might think and it could improve the performance & most likely increase fuel mpg.
    Check out Quickwater Adventure water taxi/transport services: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Quick...37553606260978

The Armstrong bracket on my Olympic was their 2000 series which is their chambered floatation type. It just did not provide enough floatation to compensate for the outboard weight hanging so far off the transom. I would agree with Big Jim to at least consider a full width hull extension if you want to utilize twin outboards. Considering the money you are looking to spend, I would want to make sure to end up with a truly self bailing back deck.

Coincidentally, I now have a Bayweld which does have a full width hull extension rather than an offshore style bracket. For me and how I utilize this boat, I think the added stability and floatation of the hull extension more than makes up for the increased handling and performance characteristics an offshore bracket may provide. Also I would highly recommend Bayweld for any aluminum fabrication needs you might have.

I Added a armstrong outboard bracket to my 26xl in 2007. Im running twin Df140 Suzuki's. I have noticed a differnce in the way the hull performs from the twin inboards i had before. First off it allows me to have no dog house on the back deck. Second it behaves as a longer boat now, and does better in rough water. It gets on step in a shorter distance. Fuel economy is about the same as my twin 135 horse i/o"s. I did spec my bracket for twin 4 stroke outboards. However my boat is lighter motor to motor wieght however it is 3 feet further back. i had to do fiberglasss work to put in a single I/o and was about sick of the arrogance of my Volvo Penta Dealer. Therefore i Chose to go outboards. Olympic didnt however place their deck far enough above water line to have scuppers if you are heavily loaded. I only see issues with that when im loaded for a multiday trip with 4 guys and lots of fish. I like my suzuki's but its like polaris or skidoo choose your color they are alll good now days. Good luck on your choice buddy Hope to see her on the water this summer.

Also you can get the extra wide twin bracket which adds even more flotation!

Z, which boat is yours? Size & particulars if you don't mind sharing?

One best looking brackets I've seen done was by bay weld in Homer. Check it out.
    It's the route I'm going with my osprey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

Quote Originally Posted by Big Jim View Post
    Z, which boat is yours? Size & particulars if you don't mind sharing?
    Jim, My Bayweld is a 2005 29'x9.5' with the v-berth style cabin and twin 225 Hondas.