Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Another Fla I want to sheep hunt in Alaska

Lightbulb Another Fla I want to sheep hunt in Alaska

Hello everyone, yes this is another one of those threads where I know nothing about Alaska Hunting but trying to put a Sheep hunting trip in with Wayne Kubat with Alaska Remote Guide service for 2015, so as I used Africa Hunting as my source for Africa trips I have taken in the past 3 years I like you guys help as heck I picked Wayne off your Guide Directory.

So the feel free to suggest away

For the first question of the day as I use a Eberlestock Just for one pack for lot of my hunts and I have seen on lot of list say do not use them in Alaska any thoughts on why and what pack you like for 14 day spike hunt

2nd Boots seem to be nothing like I used to that are recommended on some list so what ya like and why

3rd I am avid reloader and my lastest favorite is Rem 700 in 280AI using Barnes TTSX 150, standard stuff like McMillian stock, Douglas barrel, Jewell trigger, stainless Teflon coated that I built. any 280AI guys out there?

4th As Wayne and I try to work out the dates any other who is your favorite outfitter, I like smaller outfitters with attention to detail, and planes that will not kill me but if the dates cannot work out maybe another choice as backup.

Me I just a helicopter/jet mechanic. 58 years young love to hunt anything that crawls, walks or flys pretty good hiker have done bunch in Glacier Park, Grand Canyon etc so the high Alpine Hiking I got, the hunting not some much, die hard gun rights/ hate Obama and liberal anti hunting fools but I sure not many ones here

Anyone with airboat question I can help ya been building, breaking and driving them most of my life so love to grad a ride while I am out there, I post too much on Southern Airboat and we got few Alaska guys so any SA guys on here let me hear from ya..

Thanks for your time and I been crawling around in the background nice website you have

Welcome to the site!

My first recommendation is to read through our Guided Hunts Page. CLICK HERE to read that article. We wrote it specifically for folks who were looking for a guide, and to walk you through what to expect out of an Alaska guided hunt. I am a registered guide here myself, and wrote it from my perspective as a guide.

You made an excellent choice in Wayne Kubat, by the way. He will treat you square and he knows his stuff.

Not all guides are as communicative as I would like, but one thing is to reach out to the guy and try to build a rapport with the person who will actually be guiding you. Next, don't overpack! And always listen with both ears to what your guide tells you. This is his area, and you don't want to be second-guessing the guy all the time. A guided hunt is a partnership of sorts, with both people bringing something to the table. And I'm not talking about money. I'm talking about the experience itself. You know this if you had a good PH in Africa; the stories around the campfire, the way you walk together in the field, the way you learn from each other... and so much more.

I look forward to hearing from other hunters in this thread, especially any of the many guides here. You have landed in the right place, friend!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ting+gear+list

There are many threads about sheep hunting gear... many, many, many ...
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

Quote Originally Posted by JuliW View Post
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ting+gear+list

There are many threads about sheep hunting gear... many, many, many ...
    You reminded me... we also have a Dall sheep hunting page on the site. It's not complete yet, but a good start. It has a DIY gear list and a guided hunt list on it that might be useful. To the OP, Wayne should be sending you a gear list; read it carefully and ask questions! Don't bring brand-new gear to the field; instead, test it out in advance. You'll be glad you did!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

There is a ton on gear in other threads on this forum; but since you specifically asked about the pack, here goes; I had two clients this year with eberlestock packs. neither was very happy with them. space was limited, and more importantly, they did not handle heavy loads well. The shoulder straps were narrow and not well padded, cutting into the shoulders with a moderately heavy pack (60-80 lbs.)

If you plan to carry some weight, you need an external frame pack. Well padded shoulder straps, a tightly cinching padded hip belt, and frame adjustments to customize to your body are important. It should have lashing points on the outside for strapping bulky gear to. A rain cover is a good idea. Cabelas has several good Alaska packs. Barneys sports chalet in Anchorage has the penultimate alaska external frame packs, and they are understandably more expensive. In a more budget pack, camp trails, Kelty, and ALpine all have serviceable packs that are relatively durable and can handle a heavy, bulky load. I used an Alpine pack this year, and for $100 it was a good deal. Its not the most durable design, but I put 40 days in the field with it, many with substantial loads, and it held together. Good luck!

Wayne - hunts sheep in the soft part of Denali Park. Tough country. Sheep population is having similar issues as other parts of the AK Range, but his area may have fewer resident hunters as the NPS will never answer your phone call or email about a private pilot accessing the area. Fewer air service providers as well. With limited numbers of hunters allowed under his permit you should have a decent hunt experience.

Pack - the Just One pack has that silly scabbard for the rifle. if you fall in the steep rocks you could damage your weapon and then how will your hunt go? Walking down a steep shale slope the tip of the scabbard will be digging in the hillside behind your knees all the time. The more important issue is how comfortable is it when it weighs 100 pounds? That pack is also really heavy empty. If you are looking to upgrade then a Stone Glacier is a great way to go for a light pack as are a number of pack systems from Kifaru.

Boots - plastics or leather? If you have ankle issues go plastic mountainering as they will save your ankles on the steep hillsides. There are many different options for heavy or light technical boots. Leather boots I recommend Lowa Tibets.

Fitness - florida guys have issues finding hill training places, so head to a stadium and workout on the stairs, or a multi story building. Going down the stairs is just as important as going up. You can also do walking lunges end to end on a football or soccer field. Once you can do that with a 50 pound pack on you can climb anything up here. You don't have to worry too much about elevation here as we are pretty low compared to CO.

I used the Eberlestock battleship on my goat hunt this fall and have to say I am falling in love with it. A little heavy start out at 8lbs 12 oz, but I took some of the bells off of it and got it down to 8lbs 2oz. I came off the mt. with 133lbs in my pack and felt better than pulling 80lbs down with my older cabelas pack. Don't get me wrong I was still sore for days but it was a good sore.

Getting into shape, whether your'e sheep or goat hunting, being in top shape will make you feel better and make your hunt easier. Get the right boots, and get them broke in., But being in shape, that will help greatly.
    Life's to short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts

Quote Originally Posted by AK Ray View Post
    Wayne - hunts sheep in the soft part of Denali Park. Tough country. Sheep population is having similar issues as other parts of the AK Range, but his area may have fewer resident hunters as the NPS will never answer your phone call or email about a private pilot accessing the area. Fewer air service providers as well. With limited numbers of hunters allowed under his permit you should have a decent hunt experience.

Pack - the Just One pack has that silly scabbard for the rifle. if you fall in the steep rocks you could damage your weapon and then how will your hunt go? Walking down a steep shale slope the tip of the scabbard will be digging in the hillside behind your knees all the time. The more important issue is how comfortable is it when it weighs 100 pounds? That pack is also really heavy empty. If you are looking to upgrade then a Stone Glacier is a great way to go for a light pack as are a number of pack systems from Kifaru.

Boots - plastics or leather? If you have ankle issues go plastic mountainering as they will save your ankles on the steep hillsides. There are many different options for heavy or light technical boots. Leather boots I recommend Lowa Tibets.

Fitness - florida guys have issues finding hill training places, so head to a stadium and workout on the stairs, or a multi story building. Going down the stairs is just as important as going up. You can also do walking lunges end to end on a football or soccer field. Once you can do that with a 50 pound pack on you can climb anything up here. You don't have to worry too much about elevation here as we are pretty low compared to CO.
    Some good points here, the NPS park thing is spot on.
    The "just one" pack will actually protect your weapon like no other, but the packs are a sponge with rain. There are far better alternatives for AK.

Poster here should do his homework, this site has a great search engine and tons of info for the guy willing to actually look.
    Proud to be an American!

Quote Originally Posted by fullkurl View Post
    Some good points here, the NPS park thing is spot on.
    The "just one" pack will actually protect your weapon like no other, but the packs are a sponge with rain. There are far better alternatives for AK.

Poster here should do his homework, this site has a great search engine and tons of info for the guy willing to actually look.
    I should have clarified my Just One comments. Being short -68"- and tending to pull my feet up high when off a trail in brush, I constantly hit the backs of my boots and calves on the tip of the rifle in this pack. I only used one for a few hours, but it was enough time that I will never use one again. And I had to take the pack off to get my rifle out of the scabbered. I do not have the shoulder flexibilty to remove the rifle when wearing the pack.

Wayne has a good area and produces some big sheep. As with any sheep hunting your physical condition plays a major role in your success. He is a great pilot and keeps his Super Cub in good working order. He has been hunting that area since the late 80's, so he knows the area well and I believe he has the sole concession in that area. You won't go wrong using Wayne.

Thanks everyone for the replies also talking with Henry Tiffany with Alaska Perimeter Expedition as well for the Brooks range so any thoughts as well, My Just for One pack is heavy and they do like rain lol, stuff stays dry inside but the pack takes a while to dry rain cover works but I never seem to get it on in time lol, but never used it for multi day hiking, have a standard frame lightweight pack for my trips into Grand Canyon & Glacier but it would not work for hunting, so time to shop lol,

Fla got no mountains but 10 hours away are the Smokey Mountain and plan on doing 3 or 4 spring and early summer tune ups while I walk and walk and try find some stairs that why I want to get the pack & boots sorted out asap so I can break them in and see how it feels loaded.

Thanks again for warm welcome and Merry Christmas send some snow to Fla about 84 degrees today

I would skip Tiffany, make Wayne work. Or talk with Dave Morris of arctic rivers guide service. My best friend guides for him so I get all the stories at the end of the year. Small outfit.
    I finally just told clients to not bring a backpack and I loaned them one of my Barney's packs. I knew they would fit be comfy and waterproof. Took a lot of guess work out of the pack buying
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

The whole Brooks may be closed next year

Quote Originally Posted by polardds View Post
    My information says that will not happen, while there is concern they are not ready to take that action range wide.

For packs have a look at the Kifaru, Stone Glacier or EXO packs in the 5200 cu size for a guided hunt 7000 ci for DIY.

Boots and blistered feet is the number one reason why I see people quit. Get good mountaineering style boots, you need the extra ankle support for side hilling and carrying a load. Think of it the same way as E rated tires on a pickup truck.

IMHO, walking miles with the gear you will be hunting with is more important than finding a hill to climb. You will do way more hiking than climbing, the climb tends to be the last push to get into a shooting position. Not that it is not important, but walking will prep you and one can always find some stairs to climb.

Get a good set of trekking poles,, they provide a way to maintain a third point of balance, can be used to lean on and take the weight off your back, can be used to probe a water crossing etc...

Fast drying synthetic layers that can be layered up or down and dry fast.

Rain gear of good quality, I prefer the single layer type over the 3 layer goretex stuff.

I'm a believer in Rocky Goretex socks for not if, but when my boots get wet to keep my feet dry until I walk my boots dry again. 3 or 4 pairs of socks with one pair saved for sleeping only and never use them to walk in, save those dry ones to sleep in.

Get a roll of Leukotape tape this is a medical tape to use to prevent blisters and IMHO is far better than mole skin. Pre tape your feet and stop the INSTANT you feel the slightest hot spot forming and tape up. Again your feet will make or break a hunt.

Try to train to walk 5 to 7 miles a day, as I said wearing the clothes and gear you will be hunting in, this allows you to break in and discover any trouble stops that may cause blisters, rubbing etc...IMHO your boots need to have 100 miles in them before you hunt if at all possible, also make sure to train on uneven ground and not just walking on the sidewalk, also get them wet and put some miles in them soaked the same as you will be after crossing several streams.

Your body is capable of far more than your mind, so keep pushing. If you are not wanting to quit at least once you are not hunting hard enough. It only takes the time to pull a trigger to go from zero to hero, so stay in the game.

Many struggle to sleep in the field and get burned out by day 3, taking some Benadryl at bed time can help get a good nights sleep. Some meds for diarrhea just in case and something for crotch chaffing. I like Boudreaux's Butt Paste, best to grease the boys before things become an issue.

Stay hydrated and eat, have to fuel the body when exerting yourself the way sheep hunting does.

Unplug,, my last partner quit because he could not stop worrying about what was going on back home and at work.

Enjoy the entire process, from the research you are doing now in select a guide, to buying and training in your gear. Spend sometime with your rifle and practice after exerting yourself. Shooting at the range sitting behind a bench is not the same as trying to get on the ram of a lifetime after a hard push with your heart pounding in your ears.

Good luck and be warned, hard to go on only one sheep hunt of a lifetime.

Give this thread a read, might be a help to you.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...-journey/page2

Steve
    Last edited by stid2677; 12-17-2014 at 18:06.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Like STID said, feet, feet feet, I tape mine before every hunt. Good duct tape on the heels is all I usually need and it keep sme from blisters. Also, teh harder you work, the less the tape hurts when you pull it off at night.
    Life's to short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts

If you are looking for another guide/outfitter to look in to, I'd suggest Matt Snyder/Alaska Hunting Adventures. Him and his family are among some of the best sheep hunters/guides in state, you can't go wrong with Matt.

www.tokmanagementarea.com

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    My information says that will not happen, while there is concern they are not ready to take that action range wide.

Steve
    Great posting, Steve, Obviously I didn't quote your whole posting, but that may be the best paragraph on sheep hunting that I have ever read. And any hard core sheep hunter can appreciate it.
    On a personal note, I did struggle to sleep in the field often due to the lactic acid buildup I experienced (in spite of my training.) The Benadryl worked wonders to recharge and rest.
    Proud to be an American!

Quote Originally Posted by polardds View Post

Why would that be lack of game or >>> Thanks for all the tips I have been reading on here for year but just like that great story I missed that really got my battery charged up reading steve hunts and found another 280AI shooter 2 for 1 so keep tips coming I appreciate it

Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post

Good luck and be warned, hard to go on only one sheep hunt of a lifetime.

Give this thread a read, might be a help to you.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...-journey/page2

Steve

Thank you for great post and outstanding hunting stories

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast