Thread: Is he 50"???

Default Is he 50"???

A week after the FMA season ended, this guy shows himself on Lathrop street near 30th. Not too typical to see a bull this big in and around Fairbanks. Figured he would be a good candidate for a 50" thread. I've got a couple more pictures of him that I'll share later, but I'll start with this one. What would your estimate be on this bull? If he was in a restricted area, would you pull the trigger? My final picture will be of one him looking straight away. None of my forward facing pictures came out clear enough.

Bad angle for guessing size, but from what I see, I would not shoot. Guess would be in the mid 40 range.

From most of the mid to upper 40" bulls we have taken, this guy appears to have thicker palms up top.

That 2nd pictures does make him look a bit bigger. While the palms look decently thick, one thing I am looking at is the points which are pretty short so you don't gain much width from them.

Need better pictures to really tell. He 'might' be close though!

id have to count brow tines or let him walk. just too close to call
    its better to be silent and thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt...

That's a hard angle to judge by for sure, but on the first pic, I am liking the mass of that outside brow tine point on his right side. Also a lot of those older bulls start loosing top point length as well. I'm thinking he may be 50, but would not shoot if this was the only angle I had....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Final picture. Real close to tell, but I put him at 52" and would shoot him in a second, anywhere in the state. Of course I got to see his front side and know that he has 2 brow tines on one side and 4 on the other. Is there a standard width of eartip to eartip if the ears are up like that? I was thinking if it was 24", that would put him right around what I had guessed when I saw him.

Keep in mind that in this picture, his head is turned slightly to the left, so the antlers look a little narrower than they actually are.

Bad angles but from those pics I'd let him walk. He's close but I'd want a facing to me pic to make a final judgement

His shadow is 50.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by Jerod View Post
    and would shoot him in a second, anywhere in the state
    I would suggest shooting him in the heart/lung area, though my personal preference is a neck shot.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Final picture. Real close to tell, but I put him at 52" and would shoot him in a second, anywhere in the state. Of course I got to see his front side and know that he has 2 brow tines on one side and 4 on the other.
    I'm assuming your decision to shoot "anywhere in the state" is from the knowledge of the 4 brow tines and not the estimation of 52"? Whenever I hear someone claim they are sure something is 52" or 53" and they would be confident to shoot, I think they should hold their fingers apart by 2 or 3 inches and then realize that is their margin for error at 100+ yards on an animal that can vary in body size significantly (making the reference for width fairly variable).

Yes, my decision to shoot would have been based on the 4 brow tines. If I would have to think it over in my head, I would have talked myself out of it fairly quickly.

...and would shoot him in a second, anywhere in the state.
    I'd recommend aiming more toward the Ruby area, right in the pocket just behind Galena. Try not to hit him in the Tok.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

That photo from behind shows his antlers in the shape of a bow, from my experience when they still up turn like that they are in the 40s. As they get over 50 they start to droop from the bases, I would guess him at 48 or 49.

He better be careful hanging out in that part of town, 50 or no.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Another iffy bull. Nope.

Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

47.25"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by akriverunner View Post
    47.25"

Oh really? Are you sure he's not 3/16ths...???
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Anythings possible from those angles