Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .44 mag shot shells for grouse

Default .44 mag shot shells for grouse

I see that a couple companies make a rat shot shell for the .44 mag handguns. Has anyone used these for grouse? I am assuming that you need to be with-in 10 yards for any effect, but will these shells kill a grouse? I am not shooting them for sport obviously. I would like to add a couple grouse to the mountain house while hunting if these shells wil kill a grouse effeciently.

I havent used them on grouse but Im sure they'd do just fine,and I know you can get closer than 10 yrds to get them
    Look me up this fall If you want to go get some,Ill buy some of those shell's and give it a go myself.Daniel

I picked up a box of 10 at Wal Mart for about $13.00. I will shoot a couple and see how they pattern.

Default They Work!

I used them for Ptarmigan on a Caribou hunt, and they worked great out to about 7-8 yards. If they were much further, they seemed to have no effect, but that could have just been my lack of shooting ability. I didn't pattern them first, so that might help.

Default By the way

I only used for Ptarmigan on the ground. Never tried to take one flying.

Used them all the time back in Wisconsin for rufffed grouse. Just drive the logging trails and step out of the truck when see one and blast em'.

you better be close , just like the other guys say 7-8 yards tops . get you some shells and pattern your shot . if they get any farther out than that all you are going to do is wound them (not the ideal firearm or round, they work better on snakes at 10 ft.)
    LOVE MY LITTLE SKULL CLEANERS

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by akpredator View Post
    you better be close , just like the other guys say 7-8 yards tops . get you some shells and pattern your shot . if they get any farther out than that all you are going to do is wound them (not the ideal firearm or round, they work better on snakes at 10 ft.)
    I agree.

I've experimented with the 44 caliber (in a 4" S&W 629) and in 357 (in a 2.5" Ruger SP101). I shot a squirrel out of a tree with the 44. He didn't even require another shot. The range was about 20'.

The 357 didn't do as well at about the same range. It might have been because of the 2.5" barrel, and it might have been because of fewer pellets.

I was weighing the differences in carrying some of these shotshells around for my defensive sidearm or just carrying a lite 22 kit gun in my daybag. I ended up preferring the 22. The range is much farther, the power much greater, and the 8-shot S&W Airlite 317 only weighs 8 oz. empty. A box of 50 rounds of 22 ammo is lite and compact, too. And digging out the 22 is faster than digging out shotshells, unloading my sidearm, and reloading it with the shotshells (even with the shotshells in a reloader).

Funny thing is that I rarely use it. I don't want to be spooking my quarry by plinking at grouse during moose or bear hunts.

But it is nice if I come across a flock of ptarmigan scurrying around in the brush during a caribou hunt or if I'm just out exploring before big game seasons.........

Default Buy yourself a wrist rocket

...the ammo don't get any cheaper and you won't spook anything.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by sal View Post
    Buy yourself a wrist rocket....the ammo don't get any cheaper and you won't spook anything.
    Actually, I have a wrist rocket, but I never play with it. When I was a kid I used to make my own slingshots out of bicycle tire rubber, and got quite good with it shooting little crabs in and near tidepools. My Dad and brother had their own, and we competed with them. We even found a nest of baby rattlesnakes that were decimated by the homemade slingshots. The range was rarely over 5 yards, though, but those crabs and snakes were a lot smaller than a grouse.

That's not a bad idea. I think I'll put the thing in my pack. Maybe I'll buy some 000 buckshot steel to carry around with it.

Have you ever tried killing a grouse with one?

Default yep..

Bunnies too. basically if you hit em they start doing the "death flutter" deal like they're flying in place. Simply walk up and grab them by the neck and ring it. Fresh meat for the pot.

No need to carry buckshot if there's plenty of pebbles nearby. Buuuut, if you want to carry ammo for the thing, I recommend standard marbles.

I have to second Sal on the wristrocket and marbles. Rocks do work great when you can find nice round ones. If they are not round they do tend to vear off course and make some really cool noises. They are a lot of fun but do take some practice to get used to and always carry an extra band they will break when you least expect it.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    I have to second Sal on the wristrocket and marbles.....
    Bulkier than 000 shot, but probably lighter. Probably easier to shoot, too.

Great advice. Thanks, guys. My wrist rocket will be in my pack for my next trip out into the woods.

....always carry an extra band they will break when you least expect it.
    More good advice.

I can't wait to try it out........

Talking 44 shot shells

I have some very funny video of my hunting partner trying to shoot a grouse at 15 yards with this ammo, U can see the pellets hitting everything in a 20 ft area, except the grouse that is :-) He shot four times and the grouse just kept turning for better shot profiles, but he finally got tired of the noise and flew away............lol!
    It is pretty funny stuff, but for some reason my hunting partner does not get the same humor out of it that I do

I Third (fourth?) the wrist rocket Idea. I used to wing shoot dragon flies with one as a boy. We had a big pile of crushed shale next to the house. The shale pieces ware really small, flat, and razor sharp. I would load as much into it as I could fit and let it rip shotgun style. Shockingly effective!

I tried shooting shotshells out of my Winchester 94 Trapper in 44 mag. With it's 16" barrel it patterned well at 10 yards but at 20 yards there were only 3 holes in the target. The rifled barrel apparently opens up the pattern quite a bit.

Default "Bird" shot

I've used the shot shells quite a bit... you gotta be close, you gotta be on target. When you can get under 7 yards, you'll probably do fine, hopefully the bugger isn't in any heavy cover.

I used to shoot lotsa stuff with a wrist-rocket. When I inquired F&G here in Alaska, I was told that since there weren't rules in the book, then it was not a legal weapon, can anyone provide me a bit of insight?
    Kind of feeling like I've shorted myself over the past few years. I always liked the 'quiet' approach to the rocket during a big game season. Since I've been in Alaska I've had to make the 'call' as to weather it is time to head back to camp and then blast the bird.

Thanks!

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Stogey View Post

I used to shoot lotsa stuff with a wrist-rocket. When I inquired F&G here in Alaska, I was told that since there weren't rules in the book, then it was not a legal weapon, can anyone provide me a bit of insight?
    Kind of feeling like I've shorted myself over the past few years. I always liked the 'quiet' approach to the rocket during a big game season. Since I've been in Alaska I've had to make the 'call' as to weather it is time to head back to camp and then blast the bird.

Thanks!

Rob
    I have never heard this but then again never asked F&G about it. Just looked in my regs and it does not state in there what you have to use to hunt small game. The only exception is in unit 26 all lead shot for all bird hunting is prohibited.

Quick question, where in the regs does it say you can't use lead shot for anything in unit 26? Just wondering.

small game section I believe...
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast