Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Current Snow Conditions on the Denali Highway

Default Current Snow Conditions on the Denali Highway

Any body have any reports? Thinking about heading up there in the next few weeks.

Low snow for the first 20 miles in from Cantwell, the there is plenty to ride on the road from there out. That was last week. It can change overnight.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

As of last week: It's really thin until 17 Mile Hill (MP117) but from there it's rideable and gets better as you head further east. There is a gravel pit/pullout at MP120 which, for the time being, can be driven to.

Make sure you have scratchers on your sled.

But since you're not planning to ride for a few weeks, given that it's the middle of winter it'd probabaly be best to check in a few weeks.
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

Quote Originally Posted by Erik in AK View Post
    Make sure you have scratchers on your sled.
    Thanks for the report, and please excuse my ignorance, but what is a scratcher? I am assuming it has something to do with the lack of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    Thanks for the report, and please excuse my ignorance, but what is a scratcher? I am assuming it has something to do with the lack of snow.
    Never mind. I looked it up. Good idea.

Snow is not too bad. I just ticked over 1000 miles on my snow machine for the season! If you find the ATV trails, the riding is great for getting around if your predator hunting or bird hunting. Not ready for boon docking or high marking yet. Snow is thin still as noted above, but as noted, that can change overnight. I've been all the way to the end of Valdez Mine Road, Windy Creek Trail, Sheep Valley/Upper Watana, and part ways up Butte Creek Trail, plus any other ones. Good luck and happy riding!
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

Thanks for the update. Hope to be able to get up that way after the 'holidays' are over with. It appears that the temps have been good also. I have been watching the weather cam that you have set up and it appears that the temps there have also been nice. Maybe even a little warm!

Quote Originally Posted by denalihunter View Post
    Snow is not too bad. I just ticked over 1000 miles on my snow machine for the season! If you find the ATV trails, the riding is great for getting around if your predator hunting or bird hunting. Not ready for boon docking or high marking yet. Snow is thin still as noted above, but as noted, that can change overnight. I've been all the way to the end of Valdez Mine Road, Windy Creek Trail, Sheep Valley/Upper Watana, and part ways up Butte Creek Trail, plus any other ones. Good luck and happy riding!

Any current reports? I never did make it up there like I was hoping too. Got caught up doing other things closer to home. Anyhow, my wife and I are thinking about heading up that direction for Valentine's day weekend. Any current reports would be appreciated. Thanks.

The snow is pretty thin, but is passable on the road, ATV trails, etc. Off trail boondocking is challenging to put it lightly. If you are going into Alpine Creek Lodge, the Denali Highway is SUPER smooth and fast to get in. Enough snow to keep things cool after the first five miles from Cantwell. Just need scratchers for that first 5 miles on most machines, but my 4 stroke Bearcat didn't need them.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    The snow is pretty thin, but is passable on the road, ATV trails, etc. Off trail boondocking is challenging to put it lightly. If you are going into Alpine Creek Lodge, the Denali Highway is SUPER smooth and fast to get in. Enough snow to keep things cool after the first five miles from Cantwell. Just need scratchers for that first 5 miles on most machines, but my 4 stroke Bearcat didn't need them.
    Thanks man. I'd give a rep if I could.

Alright Claude, anyone? How's the snow shaping up? Get any from this last storm?

I checked the weather cam for Alpine Creek and it looked like they got some more snow. At least there appears to be some new snow on the shed roof.
    Quote Originally Posted by alaskankid13 View Post
    Alright Claude, anyone? How's the snow shaping up? Get any from this last storm?

It's piling up! About 10" to 12" now in the last 30 hours. Still coming down, but seems to be tapering off. Hasn't been any traffic in from Cantwell in the last couple of days, so should be 65 miles of fresh powder riding! Let's keep it coming!

Be there Thursday. Maybe Wednesday night if I'm feeling froggy. BTW those bifocal glasses with the crappy wire repair are mine. Forgot 'em last time.

Default Snow!

Went 6 miles East yesterday and there is a solid 18" of fresh snow on the highway down there! Most of the brush has covered now! If it wasn't so darn cold right now, I'd be down there. -22 right now, but clear skies. Supposed to warm up all week, so should be great by the weekend!

Claude

Claude, any new snow in the past two weeks ? heading to the cabin close to Hurricane next week.

Quote Originally Posted by bearqst View Post
    Claude, any new snow in the past two weeks ? heading to the cabin close to Hurricane next week.
    I was up there 17, 18, 19 Jan and the snow was good. It has snowed since so should be much better. I will be up there tomorrow and heard they have a crew there for some mountain riding this weekend. So should have some great snow reports this weekend on the Denali Highway.

Quote Originally Posted by Dupont Spinner View Post
    I was up there 17, 18, 19 Jan and the snow was good. It has snowed since so should be much better. I will be up there tomorrow and heard they have a crew there for some mountain riding this weekend. So should have some great snow reports this weekend on the Denali Highway.
    Are you heading out to Alpine Creek? I'm heading out tomorrow as well, coming back Monday.

Looks like we just may have crossed paths. I made a day run. Put on a little over 210 miles for the day. Made the run from the parking lot to the lodge in about 45 minutes. I went east towards McClaren and about 10 miles past but the flat light was killing me. The mountains and the road were looking the same with very few tracks over that way.

Have been working on some clutching. Having an issue that I can't seem to get past when running distances and running hard. Belts are running real hot. I know I am breaking the sound barrier riding but not where I should be having a belt problems. I have a special alignment tool and offset bushing ordered so maybe that can help me get dialed in with a couple of other tricks. May need to back down on the power some too.

Oh forgot the highway ride is good, actually real good. There is a couple of the normal over flow areas and one spot was wet but no big deal. The wind blew up there and a few of the high parts of the road and Canyon Creek/Seattle Creek area had a few small drifts. Off trail can be a little unpredictable but over all most of the scrub is now under snow. Claude has a large group at the lodge and they were off in the hills riding and I left before they got back.

Saturday morning I seen a lot of Caribou and 3 Moose. The afternoon ride back they were all gone.

The hills east of the lodge were great.
    Friday was amazing. Sunshine, deep snow and untracked valleys to play in. The road is in good shape and it was snowing Monday, on the way out.

Oh, and Brian M's a funny guy when he's got some liquor in him...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast