Thread: .44 mag grouse shells

Default .44 mag grouse shells

I see that a couple companies make a rat shot shell for the .44 mag handguns. Has anyone used these for grouse? I am assuming that you need to be with-in 10 yards for any effect, but will these shells kill a grouse?

My preference is a mild cast bullet load. Even a chest shot meat loss is minimal. I've taken 3 spruce hens with my 480 using a 300 gr cast bullet @ 700 fps. And yes, be darn sure of your backstop even with such a mild load.

The problem with the pistol shot loads is the shot load is so small you really don't gain any advantage over a single projectile, ie the pattern is about body size. A pattern larger than that and you just won't have the density to cover it. Also I'd say effective range would be more like 10 feet than 10 yds.

Several years ago when I had a lot more spare time I did a lot of reloading, trap shooting and spent a lot of time on the handgun range. As with anything you spend a lot of time with I was getting pretty good. So for a challnge I picked up several hundred of the Speer .44 hot shot capsuls, loaded them with #9 shot and went through a short period of trying to shoot clay pigeons with a 5 1/2 inch barrel Redhawk. Even with me holding the gun up and in a ready position, and shooting right after the trap was released I have to admit I did not hit very many. I agree with the previous post of the effective range being more in the 10 foot than the 10 yard range, even when I was shooting at stationary clays on the handgun range. If I were to do it again with the idea of hunting with it I would probably take some large sheets of white paper to the range and pattern the loads first.

I am not necessarily hunting with the pistol. I will have the pistol as a back up while I am hunting bigger critters. I will only load up the rat shot if I happen across a grouse or ptarmigan for a little fresh meat while hunting on extended trips. I use a bow or shotgun when I am hunting for grouse. I picked a box of the ratshells up at Wal Mart and I will see how they pattern or not in my pistol.