Thread: Cessna 170 Parts

Default Cessna 170 Parts

I decided to buy a wrecked 170B for a few parts that I want to keep on hand just in case I do something silly. I've been dismantling it pretty carefully, but even so, realized afterwards that some structure that was likely usable, well, is not now. Amazing what a maniac and a recip saw can do. I'd never thought certain brackets or pieces had value until I started looking on line a bit deeper, and found some things on E-Bay.
    As I've taken things apart, I've been pretty good about bagging, tagging, and marking what they are or where they came from. What I don't have is a way to look up part numbers, or the correct name of the part. Is there a place on line to find that type of info, kind of like looking up Polaris snowmachine parts? Those type of lookups also give you which machines a certain p/n will fit.
    I'll plan on selling most of what I am taking off to offset the cost of the original purchase and parts I'm keeping. There is actually quite a bit of good looking and non-damaged pieces I've got set aside. I even took off some of the skins carefully in case somebody needed a template, and as I understand it, even slightly damaged structure may be usable by somebody for patches, etc.
    I'm not about getting rich here, only trying to offset those costs I mentioned. Where is the best place to go look up pricing so I can be sure I am at least reasonable and not wasting my time, or potential buyers?

Thx for the pointers,
    ARR

Check your Private Messages for a note from me about those lists. Don't have anything about costs, though . . .

Mort Mason

Here are some parts manual downloads.

http://mrwebman.com/aviation/cessna/manuals/

Holy Moly guys, you all rock! Here I've been muddling around, only scratching the surface, I ask one question, and up comes a quick response. Thank you so much.
    I think I can get what I need printed and make a book of it. That way I've got it in the garage where I'm working.
    From the parts manual, I'd guess I can find availability and pricing a lot easier. Then it's a matter of advertising it and start to get some of it out of here.
    With the books, I'll be able to support my own plane even that much better. I'd like to be as active w/ maintenance on my plane as possible.
    Thx again,

ARR

I started drinking a big glass of Mylanta after you mentioned whacking up good parts with a Saws-All.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Learning curve. Big, steep learning curve. Oh well, all is not lost. I'll be able to recoup some of it at $.25/lb scrap price? OUCH!!
    So after learning the first lesson, I took several hours to carefully pull skins off the top of the right wing. I got 2 off in perfect shape, plus a few others that would be ok for templates. All to get better access to flap and aileron parts.
    Then I worked on the tail section. Getting the horizontal stab off was a PITA. I've got bad shoulders and a bum neck so getting inside to work was painful. I could not keep a socket on the left side mounting bolt through the fuselage access, so, finally bit the bullet, crawled in, and figured out how to do it without destroying anything.
    I started playing w/ the gear boxes, but might leave the parts intact to the a/c frame. Both sides look perfect, so hate to cause a problem taking them apart. I did get some of the skins and such off to clean them up.
    I'm not dumb mechanically, just not knowledgeable about the insides of aircraft. Getting into this project is an eye opener. The pay off is I now know a bit more about how things work/look/feel and I have some quality parts just in case.
    Still have the left wing to work on, need to decide what I want to do w/ the doors, have a few smaller parts to play w/, and then I'll look at the engine to separate the bolt ons from it. I was going to throw the block out, but realized there may be core value. It's the Continental O-300, so lots of them around, maybe somebody will need something? Never know.
    And the box of scrap aluminum keeps on growing,
    ARR

And another plus? I'm heading off to buy some more tools that I seem to keep needing. Darn it!!

I downloaded my first parts book from the link Mr Pid posted, then I bought a parts book so I could hold it in my hand as I was staring at whatever I was wondering about while parked on the ramp at my plane. Cant go wrong with even the download i would think. At least its a start.

I pulled the gear in the garage, and started looking at them. They are complete w/ brakes, wheels, and 8.50 in good shape. And I thought, hmm, any chance they are 180 gear? So I started to research it, and one of the pointers indicated a certain style of serial number indicated 180 gear. So I went to look and YES, that same style number was on the end of both legs. But, when I went to measure the thickness, I could not make it read 11/16", only 5/8", so sadly for me, I have a nice set of 170 gear to sale, not 180 gear to use on my plane. At least they are straight and undamaged.
    I did not look closely at the brakes, but how do I tell single puck vs double puck brakes? Or is that the right verbiage or question?
    I do have access to a NDT inspector, and could have parts inspected and tagged. Is it worth it to go to that effort? Do people buying parts care about a yellow tagged vs non tagged part?
    ARR

Does it still have the fuel selector

I think it was broken. Flap handle, trim tab wheel and housing were good, but the fuel selector was broken on the shaft as I recall. I'd have to look to see if the valve was good/saved. Now I don't recall.

Would you like some help taking it apart? My son is up at UAF in the aircraft maintenance program. Send me a PM if you're looking for a helper. He'd probably work for the fun of it.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Stop! I'm right here if you want help? Get on the international 170 association web sight. http://cessna170.org/
    Tim

AKDoug, she is pretty well dismantled. I've still got the left wing to pull the flap and aileron off, maybe a few other goodies, take a look at door hardware, and then a few minor things. Need to be sure I've got everything marked so I don't forget what was where. Funny, I know a young lady over at UAF Aviation, bet they know each other.
    Thanks Mit, I keep you in the back of my mind. So far I've done ok. Did get a service manual from the guy I bought the plane from, and still need to download manuals from the site Mr Pid showed us. Likely I should join AOPA and TIC170A. The old owner of my plane sends me things from that group.
    Know anybody looking for clean 170 gear?
    ARR

What year what SN was the plane? Every one wants gear legs !

By the way that Picture in my avatar is a 1954 C-170B.
    Tim

PM sent.......
    I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy!
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice, remember life is expensive and ammo is cheep!

I've got a C-170 here in anchorage I'm looking to add a second landing light assembly to for maximum visibility for landing, and for other planes to see me. Have you got one for sale?

Anybody know what a set of old 180 gear legs are worth? I think they are off a 53 or 54, a guy I know asked me if I kenw anybody that was looking for a set. Thanks