Thread: doing taxidermy without a taxidermy license

Palmer, Alaska, United States

Default doing taxidermy without a taxidermy license

Taxidermy business owners in Alaska.... I would be curious to know what you would do or have done when/if you hear of others who are doing taxidermy for money, but do not have the required taxidermy license, (and thusly probably not the also required business license(s) )

I would also like to take this moment to encourage all those doing taxidermy 'as a hobby' to please make sure you know the requirements of the state when it comes to taking money for your taxidermy services (this includes barter, I believe). Even if you are only doing 10 mounts a year for friends - if you take money, you have to have a state taxidermy license. It isn't all that much (not that I believe you get a lot - or anything - for that expense) - why not play on the up and up?
    Taxidermy IS art!
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

Make a phone call to the Troopers.

Takes care of that really quick.

When I first came up here the First thing I did was get my licenses , before opening the door of my studio.

The first couple of years I only did mounts for other taxidermists that were behind on their customers items, but as the law reads if you receive ANY compensation for work you do , you must have a Business License & if you are doing anything for other people that has to do with Wildlife you must have a Taxidermists license from Fish & Game.

Then, ( Maybe only here in Fairbanks, Not sure ) If your business falls within Fairbanks City Limits you have to get another Business license from the city.

My studio is out of City limits so , we don't have to worry about that one.

I have a

USF&W Import Export Permit

USDA Aproved Facility Permit

Taxidermists licenses in Alaska & Oregon

Fur Buyers Licenses in both states as well as my Trapping license.

Totals about a thousand dollars a year, but the fines for each if I didn't have them would be a Heck of a lot more.

Just pay the fees & you can do as much or as little as you want.

Beats the heck out of standing in front of a judge.

RJ Simington
    PRO Taxidermy Fairbanks
    Custom Taxidermy, Experience the difference !!