Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

Thread: Build Multipurpose AR or sell?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    1,378

    Default Build Multipurpose AR or sell?

    I have a rock river arms AR, that I am torn over. This rifle is fun to shoot and I've only owned it for about 7 months. Winter is upon us and I'm out of ammo (minus the one magazine that is for just in case). Anyways, I've been toying with the idea of just simply selling it. Or...
    buying a different upper to have a multipurpose AR.
    Anyone here use same lower and just swap out uppers?
    If so, what are advantages if say: .308, 6.5, so com caliber?
    My second purpose would be for hunting. Iron site gun.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    AK
    Posts
    4,034

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yukon Cornelius View Post
    I have a rock river arms AR, that I am torn over. This rifle is fun to shoot and I've only owned it for about 7 months. Winter is upon us and I'm out of ammo (minus the one magazine that is for just in case). Anyways, I've been toying with the idea of just simply selling it. Or...
    buying a different upper to have a multipurpose AR.
    Anyone here use same lower and just swap out uppers?
    If so, what are advantages if say: .308, 6.5, so com caliber?
    My second purpose would be for hunting. Iron site gun.
    .308 would be out because they are built on a totally different lower.

    6.8 SPC would be a neat upper with fair ammo availability retail if you haven't started hand-loading yet.

    .300 blackout would be interesting but its most interesting suppressed and reloading would almost be necessary.

    .450 bushmaster or .50 beauwolf would be really cool, mostly for close range moose/bear gun, there is a .450 upper on Alaska's list right now. Again handloading is almost a must with these too.

    Swapping uppers is a trivial exercise, I had planned on using a couple uppers with one lower but they are so cheap now that its only about $150 savings so its not really worth it to me.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Southwest Alaska
    Posts
    2,145

    Default

    The 50 Beowulf or .458 SOCOM would be a hard choice to make. Don't sell. Reload. That rifle is too practical to be without.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

    Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

    You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    AK
    Posts
    4,034

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nitroman View Post
    The 50 Beowulf or .458 SOCOM would be a hard choice to make. Don't sell. Reload. That rifle is too practical to be without.
    Good point, .223 components are easy to come by right now, and cheap!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  5. #5

    Default

    I am not sure what the regulations are on shipping ammo from Anchorage to the Bush, but at $349.00 a thousand for XM855 (62gr. FMJ) that is pretty cheap.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    1,378

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    I am not sure what the regulations are on shipping ammo from Anchorage to the Bush, but at $349.00 a thousand for XM855 (62gr. FMJ) that is pretty cheap.
    It's the shipping. I usually grab a few boxes and bring back with me. However veggies have taken priority over ammo. Got two little ones.

    Im im going to look into reloading components this Christmas break. When I was in town last time I didn't see any 1000 rd cases. But I was very limited in shopping time for ammo. This next visit I will have a week.

  7. #7

    Default

    I have a few AR-15's in 6.8SPC cartridge. It is a great hunting cartridge choice, and if your going to reload for an AR it would seem that the 6.8SPC is a better cartridge to reload for than the .223/5.56X45MM

    Here is a good read on the 6.8SPC.........http://68forums.com/forums/showthrea...C-II-as-a-Hunt

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    1,378

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    I have a few AR-15's in 6.8SPC cartridge. It is a great hunting cartridge choice, and if your going to reload for an AR it would seem that the 6.8SPC is a better cartridge to reload for than the .223/5.56X45MM

    Here is a good read on the 6.8SPC.........http://68forums.com/forums/showthrea...C-II-as-a-Hunt
    Your advocacy for the 6.8 is sort of my inspiration. I came across an article about the 6.5 as well.
    If I remain in the village, reloading will become a must.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    AK
    Posts
    4,034

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yukon Cornelius View Post
    Your advocacy for the 6.8 is sort of my inspiration. I came across an article about the 6.5 as well.
    If I remain in the village, reloading will become a must.
    6.8 SPc component offerings geared toward ARs are getting more numerous all the time!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Sandpoint, ID
    Posts
    1,974

    Default

    Can't find a better round for the AR than the 6.5 Grendel if you want to shoot beyond 300 yds. Otherwise the 6.8 SPC does a fine job too. With a 1in 9" twist .223 barrel, mid range round like the 6.5 or 6.8 and the SOCOM or Beowulf for short range heavy work you pretty well have it all covered. One lower and 3 uppers and a reloader and you're set... oh yeah...feed the kids too!
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    629

    Default

    Not that I'm advocating for a specific caliber, but if your alternate is to sell, don't. Well, that's my opinion anyway. The AR market is so saturated now that you're bound to lose money. If it were me, I'd probably go for the .300 BLK route mainly for the novelty and the idea of a sub sonic round AND the option to run super sonic with a lighter round. But that's just me.

  12. #12
    Sponsor ADfields's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Missing Palmer AK in Phonix AZ.
    Posts
    6,416

    Default

    Yea don't sell right now, this is the buying market for AR stuff. I like the 300 Blackout myself, it's a 30-30 league round or sub-sonic thumper depending on your loadings.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    1,378

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mobius View Post
    Not that I'm advocating for a specific caliber, but if your alternate is to sell, don't. Well, that's my opinion anyway. The AR market is so saturated now that you're bound to lose money. If it were me, I'd probably go for the .300 BLK route mainly for the novelty and the idea of a sub sonic round AND the option to run super sonic with a lighter round. But that's just me.
    I haven't even decided in a price yet. I've been checking gunbroker and my set up is going for $1k. Without the extras. I was thinking of selling it for less. It is fun to shoot. I'm going to check these other options out. I won't be ready to do anything with it, until feb when I know about next year. I don't need the money. Just have my eyes on some other stuff. Boat fund. Etc.

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    2,587

    Default

    My thoughts on the AR15 aside, if yo do sell it, sell it in the village. You'll get more cash for it. (Less supply = higher price....to a point.)

  15. #15
    Sponsor ADfields's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Missing Palmer AK in Phonix AZ.
    Posts
    6,416

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yukon Cornelius View Post
    I haven't even decided in a price yet. I've been checking gunbroker and my set up is going for $1k. Without the extras. I was thinking of selling it for less. It is fun to shoot. I'm going to check these other options out. I won't be ready to do anything with it, until feb when I know about next year. I don't need the money. Just have my eyes on some other stuff. Boat fund. Etc.
    Don't confuse asking price for value. I just did a search on Gunbroker for Rock River Arms AR and got 4 pages, of those only 3 auctions had any bids, 2 of those were under $500 and the other ($1700) was a 458 SCOM package with a bunch of stuff. I can get RRA brand new complete 223s starting at $399 wholesale right now. I get ten emails every day from venders begging me to buy some ARs for super cheap, the AR market is in the toilet right now like never before. You may get a premium for it for cash out in a village from someone that doesn't see what the market is doing . . . but remember you still got to live there.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    629

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yukon Cornelius View Post
    I haven't even decided in a price yet. I've been checking gunbroker and my set up is going for $1k. Without the extras. I was thinking of selling it for less. It is fun to shoot. I'm going to check these other options out. I won't be ready to do anything with it, until feb when I know about next year. I don't need the money. Just have my eyes on some other stuff. Boat fund. Etc.
    Andy's point is valid. What you price it for may not be worth it right now, unless you just want to get rid of it and take anything they'll offer you. It's not a boat, but you might be better off trading than selling.

    .300blk, 6.5 grendel, 6.8 SPC, etc, etc. All worthy choices honestly. Just fyi, the 6.5 and 6.8 spc are both based on non-5.56 parent cases. So the upper isn't the only thing you have to change. You'll need magazines also. At least with the .300blk you can re-use everything (bolt included) and even the magazines. So basically just swap the upper.

    Anyway, if you don't need the money, don't rush. Take your time, it'll work out.

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    AK
    Posts
    4,034

    Default Build Multipurpose AR or sell?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mobius View Post
    Andy's point is valid. What you price it for may not be worth it right now, unless you just want to get rid of it and take anything they'll offer you. It's not a boat, but you might be better off trading than selling.

    .300blk, 6.5 grendel, 6.8 SPC, etc, etc. All worthy choices honestly. Just fyi, the 6.5 and 6.8 spc are both based on non-5.56 parent cases. So the upper isn't the only thing you have to change. You'll need magazines also. At least with the .300blk you can re-use everything (bolt included) and even the magazines. So basically just swap the upper.

    Anyway, if you don't need the money, don't rush. Take your time, it'll work out.
    Thanks for pointing out that the 6.5 and 6.8 utilize different parent cases, I was under the impression they used a .223 case.

    I've been thinking about starting to pick up parts for my next build and I really want to maintain parts interchangeability, perhaps I'll build a blackout!

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    1,378

    Default

    You'd guys be surprised at the offers I got yesterday on FB for the gun...I simply posted asking a question to determine how soon is to soon to post a for sale ad, I got 5 offers via PM. There is a market, and 4 of the five offers were for more than I thought was fair. It's crazy. I just really don't want to sell it.

    I'm going to go the .300 route simply b/c you don't have to get a new bolt or mags (I think). Unless, I decide to just build another one.
    I do like the trade idea as well. Guns are toys to me. If I'm not using it, I have a hard time justifying it. Just like instruments. Why do I need ten ukuleles? I can only play one at a time.

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    629

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    Thanks for pointing out that the 6.5 and 6.8 utilize different parent cases, I was under the impression they used a .223 case.

    I've been thinking about starting to pick up parts for my next build and I really want to maintain parts interchangeability, perhaps I'll build a blackout!

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    6.5 is based on the .220 Russian, but since that's based on the 7.62X39mm I suppose it's more accurate to say it's based on the 7.62x39mm (aka the AK-47 round). 6.8SPC is based on the .30 Remington. Since the bases are all different, they each need a special bolt (not necessarily the carrier). And the mags are unique also.

    Quote Originally Posted by Yukon Cornelius View Post
    You'd guys be surprised at the offers I got yesterday on FB for the gun...I simply posted asking a question to determine how soon is to soon to post a for sale ad, I got 5 offers via PM. There is a market, and 4 of the five offers were for more than I thought was fair. It's crazy. I just really don't want to sell it.

    I'm going to go the .300 route simply b/c you don't have to get a new bolt or mags (I think). Unless, I decide to just build another one.
    I do like the trade idea as well. Guns are toys to me. If I'm not using it, I have a hard time justifying it. Just like instruments. Why do I need ten ukuleles? I can only play one at a time.
    .300 BLK is a shortened and re-necked 5.56 case. OAL is the same as 5.56. Which means the only difference between a 5.56 and a .300 BLK is the barrel. Nothing else changes. Same bolt, same mags, etc. So you really could build a .300 BLK with nothing more than a new barrel. Of course, swapping out would require a vice and a wrench. So most people just get the full upper.

    .300 BLK is roughly the same power as a .30-30 emphasis on roughly. Depends on the bullet and the powder charge. But that's also (to me) a benefit. OH, full disclosure, I haven't got a .300 BLK. I have done a TON of research on building one because I thought I might like it, but I'm holding off for a bit to take care of a few other things. Anyway, you can load super sonic 115gr .308 cal bullets and get 2,400 fps or load 230 gr bullets and get 1,000 fps. Great for moderate game hunting or home defense. It's on my list of maybe some day.

    Oh, and more benefits. If you have .223 cases, you have the makings of a .300BLK case. Just trim to the right length and re-neck it with a die. Makes it easy to find cases that way.

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    AK
    Posts
    4,034

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mobius View Post
    6.5 is based on the .220 Russian, but since that's based on the 7.62X39mm I suppose it's more accurate to say it's based on the 7.62x39mm (aka the AK-47 round). 6.8SPC is based on the .30 Remington. Since the bases are all different, they each need a special bolt (not necessarily the carrier). And the mags are unique also.



    .300 BLK is a shortened and re-necked 5.56 case. OAL is the same as 5.56. Which means the only difference between a 5.56 and a .300 BLK is the barrel. Nothing else changes. Same bolt, same mags, etc. So you really could build a .300 BLK with nothing more than a new barrel. Of course, swapping out would require a vice and a wrench. So most people just get the full upper.

    .300 BLK is roughly the same power as a .30-30 emphasis on roughly. Depends on the bullet and the powder charge. But that's also (to me) a benefit. OH, full disclosure, I haven't got a .300 BLK. I have done a TON of research on building one because I thought I might like it, but I'm holding off for a bit to take care of a few other things. Anyway, you can load super sonic 115gr .308 cal bullets and get 2,400 fps or load 230 gr bullets and get 1,000 fps. Great for moderate game hunting or home defense. It's on my list of maybe some day.

    Oh, and more benefits. If you have .223 cases, you have the makings of a .300BLK case. Just trim to the right length and re-neck it with a die. Makes it easy to find cases that way.
    That's awesome info, really appreciate it!

    That supersonic load looks like a perfect fur load for 0-200 yards!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •