Thread: Searching for old pics and Info from 1940s Homer Airport build

Default Searching for old pics and Info from 1940s Homer Airport build

I have been trying to find info and old pics from back when they built the Homer Airport during WWII. The Airport office only has photos back to the 1980s and the local museum has NOTHING....
    So far my wonderful internet connection has not come up with any useful info.

Any ideas??
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

I wonder if there would be anything in the UA library archives?
    Louis Knapp

I would contact USGS. The entire state (I believe) had aerial photography during the 1950's that they used to make topographic maps. The images should be owned or licensed by USGS, which should mean you can get access to them somehow. I will see if I can dig up any link to their existence online, but I know the USGS folks will be able to put you on it, though you might have to find the right person.
    14 Days to Alaska
    Also available on Kindle and Nook

Look up Greg Durocher at the USGS, I know he has been there as long as I have been alive and works with map sales. His main job is geology but does maps when things are slow.

Not exactly what you are looking for, but I found 4 images in the Alaska State digital archives...
    http://vilda.alaska.edu/cdm/search/s...t/order/nosort

So far I have found a wee bit of information.
    Homer had some sort of landing strip in 1938. I do not know where it was YET.
    In 1941 a gravel moving company called Stock and Grove ( sometimes called L. Stock ) was tasked with building the causeway road over the end of Beluga slough , which made Beluga Lake, and also with building the big runway at the current location.
    The old Inlet Inn, now called the Driftwood Inn was the site of the original bunkhouse used by the construction crew.

Have you tried contacting the Hoyt family? Not sure if Mrs. Hoyt is still around Homer. Roy may have squirreled away some photos from the old FSS.

I have heard there is a picture of some avengers based in Homer for a while during the war, but havent seen them.
    The winner isn't the person with the most gold when they die, but rather, the person with the most stories.

Back then Homer was not connected to any other town via road.
    They made a huge gravel runway and there were also some communications and navigation towers here.
    What is now the Kenai airport was the Kenai Army Air Force field and Fort Kenai.
    And of course Kodiak was a big Naval installation.
    This photo was taken in 1943 at the general store. ( Down in what new folks call Old Town) It shows a Sgt in uniform buying something...
    Attached Images Attached Images

I landed in Homer in 1969, but did not take any pictures, to excited to get on down to Kodiak and get fishing. LOL

[QUOTE=Gerberman;1445195]I landed in Homer in 1969, but did not take any pictures, to excited to get on down to Kodiak and get fishing. LOL[/QUOTE

I first landed there in 1955 and considered myself a newcomer, which I really was not!

I am from here, so I have all sorts of photos from the 1960s,
    But anyone who was a young adult here in Homer in 1941 would be in their 90s these days.
    When I was a kid the local Museum had all sorts of cool WWII items. That was back when Sam and Vega Pratt owned and operated the place. I think Sam died about when I went off to college or maybe when I went on active duty.
    These days the museum seems to be more devoted to bizarre art than it is to history.