Thread: Gulkana put-ins

Default Gulkana put-ins

Was wondering about potential put-ins for the Gulkana between Sourdough and the Bridge. I've heard something about 'Sailor's pit', but don't know where that is. Any other access points?
    Thanks!

Default Put in

Sailor's Pit is about 2miles back from the Gokana / Gulkana Gas station towards Sourdough.

You have Pop Grove Creek which is a bit of a walk down hill however a lot of people do use it. You also have the Gulkana River RV Park which is about 1/2 the distance between Sourdugh Landing and the Richrdson Bridge.

Mind you Sailors and the RV park charge to launch your boat :-)

Default Sailor's

Quote Originally Posted by BlueMoose View Post
    Sailor's Pit is about 2miles back from the Gokana / Gulkana Gas station towards Sourdough.

You have Pop Grove Creek which is a bit of a walk down hill however a lot of people do use it. You also have the Gulkana River RV Park which is about 1/2 the distance between Sourdugh Landing and the Richrdson Bridge.

Mind you Sailors and the RV park charge to launch your boat :-)
    Bluemoose,

Who's charging to launch at Sailors? I thought that was found to be BLM land and the natives had to stop charging? Last year I launched and parked there and never got charged.

Default access fees

To launch @ sailors you need a pass from Gulkana Village corp. There is an easement but it allows travel only for wheelers and to park at sailors you will be on native land. Same goes for Poplar. To park at the trailhead you are on native land and need a pass. mile 141 is within the highway ROW and therefore you don't need a permit. Or you can ignore. There isn't much enforcement but they do write tickets sometimes.