Thread: Snaring for rabbits

Default Snaring for rabbits

Hello,
    I am interested in setting some snares for rabbits (Live in the Birchwood area). I used to do this when I was living in eastern Canada, I could go into any sporting goods store and buy a packet of "snare wire". I haven't seen that here. I assume you could get something that would work from the hardware store, but I am unsure what type/gauge wire to use. Any suggestions?
    Thanks

Soft, stranded picture hanging wire makes great hare snares. Inexpensive and available at any hardware store.

You can find numerous threads on this subject with a quick search. Here's one: http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...snare-for-hare
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

One thing I would suggest to consider is where you set your snares. If you happen to be in an area that has a fair amount of trails that people use for recreating please consider going a little farther off the beaten path. I 'm not saying that you wouldn't anyway but I have found plenty of snares / traps five minutes from parking lots where people hike /ski & run dogs. It amazes me why someone would want to set that close but there seems to be more dogs in traps every year.

Thanks for the suggestions. Picked up some wire from FM and started making snares. Probably cheaper than what I was buying before! Been scouting a few spots.

Years back when I used the braided picture wire for snaring rabbits, my sets were so close to the ground and small enough that it would take a very tiny dog to be caught in one of them.

I like to set mine well back under cover so its unlikely a dog would step in it or a hawk/owl/eagle will get to the rabbit before i do.
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,
    Teach a man to fish and he'll also learn to drink, lie, and avoid the honey do list.