Thread: 7-08 pet loads

Default 7-08 pet loads

I bought my daughter a youth model 7mm08. She really took to it, and we sweetened the experience by taking her to Alaska Hydrographics and she picked out a dip for it. Yep, pink skulls, she picked it.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1142.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	83.9 KB 
ID:	82268

She now is looking at my reloading bench and wants me to teach her how to put together some rounds. So we picked up some dies, cases and 140gr Barnes bullets.

I searched the threads here and most recommendations are for powders not listed on the Barnes manual. Im a "by the book" guy when it comes to reloading, so of the ones listed in the table below, any suggestions? Im familiar with IMR 4064 but that's the only one.

Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1171.jpg  
    In Nature's Image Taxidermy and Game Calls
    Palmer

Attachment 82269up close pattern
    Palmer

I'm a "by the book" guy as a starting place since the books are guides not prescriptive formulas since every rifle is different.

I didn't find anything in the Barnes Manual that worked for me (or looked like it would achieve what I wanted to acheive.) But I did find something in other manuals that gave me a starting place in developing an excellent load FOR MY RIFLE.

The Nosler Reloading Guide 6 listed Alliant Reloader 19 as the powder giving second highest velocity with 140 gr Nosler bullets. Nosler's guide shows loads with RL 19 starting at 45.0 gr producing 2692 fps from a 26" Wiseman barrel using Remington cases and Winchester Large Rifle primers. Nosler worked up to a maximum load of 49.0 gr of RL 19 producing 2922 fps with the same combination of components. This is a compressed load.

The Speer Reloading Manual #14 listed Alliant Reloader 19 as the powder giving greatest velocity with 145 gr Speer bullets. The Speer Manual uses 47.0 gr as the starting load producing 2692 fps from a Remington 700V with 24" barrel using Remington cases and CCI 200 primers. The max load listed in the Speer Manual is 51.0 gr of RL19 producing 2933 fps with the components listed.

Both manuals list cartridge overal length (OAL) as 2.800".

In my Kimber Montana with a 22" barrel I started with Winchester cases that I weight-sorted, neck-turned, and uniformed the primer pockets. I used Fed 210 primers and worked up from 45.0 gr of RL 19 to 52.0 gr. My most accurate load (5 shot group under 3/4" at 100 yds) is 52.0 gr RL19. I have no signs of pressure IN MY RIFLE.

Sorry I can't help you choose from among the loads listed in the Barnes Manual. Those loads simply did not work in my rifle. I thought you might be interested in some real world experience with loads from other manuals as possible alternatives to give you a starting place, just in case nothing from the Barnes Manual worked out for you either.

Of course YOUR RIFLE IS DIFFERENT and you may have different experience and should work up systematically using whatever components you choose.

Good luck!
    Last edited by Chessie; 12-12-2014 at 18:52. Reason: Correct velocity mistake on starting Nosler load

I've had better luck with IMR4350 and 120gr bullets in my son's Savage. 140s only shoot so-so.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Imr 4064 is so versatile it's the first one I always try if it's listed, I've got a bunch of it and it's generally easy to find.

I have good loads for my .375 and my .223 with that powder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What powders do you have on hand?

Quote Originally Posted by Chessie View Post
    In my Kimber Montana with a 22" barrel I started with Winchester cases that I weight-sorted, neck-turned, and uniformed the primer pockets. I used Fed 210 primers and worked up from 45.0 gr of RL 19 to 52.0 gr. My most accurate load (5 shot group under 3/4" at 100 yds) is 52.0 gr RL19. I have no signs of pressure IN MY RIFLE.
    Oops! Forgot key information: I am using 140 gr Barnes TTSX in above load. My cartridge OAL is 2.825" which is just barely off the lands in my rifle and about the longest I'd want to cycle through my magazine.

Also, I worked up a similar load for a friend using his Kimber Montana 7-08. His load uses Rem cases weight-sorted and neck-turned, primer pockets and flash holes uniformed, Rem 9 1/2 primers, 140 gr Barnes TTSX, and 51.5 gr Reloader 19. The accuracy of this load in his rifle is 1" 5-shot group @ 100 yds.

There were several lighter loads with Reloader 19 that could have worked fine as stopping points in both rifles and would have provided accuracy at or near the final loads but at lower velocity. Forty-nine (49.0) grains shot within an inch in both rifles and would probably be more suitable for loads in your daughter's rifle.

Again, good luck!

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

I wish I could find r15. I've been calling around and looking for a while now. That or big game. Seems I've read good things about those two shooting nosler bullets in 7mm-08.
    My only gear sponsor is the salvation army - Dick Griffith

My Weatherby Vanguard likes 48 grains of IMR4350 and a 145 gr Speer! They are running 2850 fps and will shoot cloverleafs when my trigger finger and brain are getting along which ain't often anymore!

I'm running 46.5 gr of R-17 and the 140 TTSX with great accuracy out of my Ruger hawkeye.

I tried Sportsmans and Three Bears this weekend and they didn't have much of anything. Looks like Ill have to go to Anchorage this week. Thanks for the input.
    Palmer

varget, win 760, & H414 powders is what works the best for me. I also use sierra, speer, & a-max bullets for best results.

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

It is ironic, I found r15 at sw in the valley tonight. I bought two pounds, now I hope my gun likes it. There were about 5-6 pounds left.
    My only gear sponsor is the salvation army - Dick Griffith

Quote Originally Posted by scott_rn View Post
    It is ironic, I found r15 at sw in the valley tonight. I bought two pounds, now I hope my gun likes it. There were about 5-6 pounds left.
    Where?! Id like to find some RL 19 and IMR 4064
    Palmer