Thread: Best pricing for wiring/components

Default Best pricing for wiring/components

So I'm going to rewire everything in the boat from batteries forward and looking for the best pricing on this stuff (wire, connectors, battery switches, breaker panels, etc)
    Heard that port authority has the best pricing but want your guys' opinion on it.
    Could get it all from the gear shed here in Homer but would take it from behind. Other option would be Polar wire for local.
    Thoughts?
    Check out Quickwater Adventure water taxi/transport services: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Quick...37553606260978

Polar Wire seems to have everything under the sun with respect to wiring, switches, etc. Some items are bulk only but that would be a plus if youíre doing a big job. They seem to have friendly knowledgeable staff; only down side is they have bankerís hours so I usually end up going to West Marine and paying top dollar.
    If you know generally what you need Iíd bet your best price would be online, Amazon has almost everything. Iíve bought lots of Marine grade electrical stuff there.
    Lots of other discount marine suppliers online I just generally use Amazon Prime for the free shipping.
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

Frigid North in Anchorage. frigidnorth.com
    search on Amazon.com
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

Roger guys; thanks!
    Check out Quickwater Adventure water taxi/transport services: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Quick...37553606260978

Charterboat Operator

if you know what you need i could bring it down for ya

check out gregsmarine on ebay i've bought spools of wire from him, nice stuff. Also look up
    Releasable/reusable Plastic Zip Cable Wire Tie

these zip ties reopen so you don't have to waste them when you need to add /adjust the wiring.
    I've found Anchor Express has some great prices on panels/breakers or call Chris at Precision Marine (914)235-4023 he lives and breathes marine electronics, tell him steve in ak told ya to call.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Take a look at:
    http://www.delcity.net/

support locally, if you think you will take it from behind, try living in Homer and not having a local source for boating need.
    I have found price, experience availability and integrity help to make my projects come together.. Having done business with the gear shed, I have never felt I took it from behind..

Tom

I live in Homer and have outfitted 2 boats almost exclusively from components acquired locally, spent thousands so I feel kinda qualified to make that statement
    I prefer to buy & support local (I bought a radar last year here that cost about 200. more than I could've gotten it online but felt the service important enough to spend extra) but there are quite a few times that the stuff is not available, even the most basic things like heat shrink butt connectors. I've asked to bring stuff in quickly (willing to pay for the shipping) but it doesn't & won't happen, therefore it pays to come up with a complete list and get it all in one shot.

The gear shed is no longer local, and no longer is willing to support long time Homer workers. If Redden Marine runs off any more locals I will no longer buy supplies for my shop from them. In most cases the price is higher by 10% to 15%, but with shipping it works out. They have great Coffee and the BS ing is free
    Quote Originally Posted by Cresent Hills View Post
    support locally, if you think you will take it from behind, try living in Homer and not having a local source for boating need.
    I have found price, experience availability and integrity help to make my projects come together.. Having done business with the gear shed, I have never felt I took it from behind..

Tom

I get a lot of wiring and supplies from Gary's electric in soldotna. Local store and I have always been happy with the customer service
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Thanks guys!

Quote Originally Posted by hoose35 View Post
    I get a lot of wiring and supplies from Gary's electric in soldotna. Local store and I have always been happy with the customer service
    I like that shop too.

The issue I always have is trying get these locals to stay open long enough for me to give them my money, which is a ridiculous problem to have in the internet era.

Thus I end up buying things on amazon that i would have been happy to pay a little more for locally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    I like that shop too.

The issue I always have is trying get these locals to stay open long enough for me to give them my money, which is a ridiculous problem to have in the internet era.

Thus I end up buying things on amazon that i would have been happy to pay a little more for locally.

Your reason for not using a local store is because there not open when you want to come by. If you order something on the web it takes 2 to 10 days depending on the cost of shipping. As you are waiting for the item to come in you could have gone to the local store and bought it.

Or am I missing something?

If I order from amazon it will be waiting for me at my door in 2-3 days.

I often work until 6 or later which means I may go weeks before I can make it into these local places that close at 5:30 and 6:00.

I swing by at lunch when I can.

I worked retail and service for years and learned a lot about what motivates shoppers, it boils down to availability, price and service, in that order for most.

I just get tired of hearing this shop local mantra when some of the biggest pushers can't keep their store open long enough for people with jobs to get into them.

This is one of the BEST places I know and use them exclusivly. They are Amrican made and very good quality and a very reasonable price.

http://www.genuinedealz.com/

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/