Thread: Flight up from Michigan in 150

Default Flight up from Michigan in 150

I'm new to flying and looking to buy an airplane a Cessna 150 tail dragger I'm planning on flying it up to palmer with the guy I'm buying it from he is a cfi I will get my groundschool completed and pass the test and get my medical so all I will need is logged time and a solo before my flight test when I get back, I have never bought an aircraft let alone fly to Alaska in one so I am seeking advise and experience from other pilots. I appreciate your info very much and it will help me to do this safely. Also with the standard tanks how far of legs will I be able to get on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by chris_mcginty View Post
    I'm new to flying and looking to buy an airplane a Cessna 150 tail dragger I'm planning on flying it up to palmer with the guy I'm buying it from he is a cfi I will get my groundschool completed and pass the test and get my medical so all I will need is logged time and a solo before my flight test when I get back, I have never bought an aircraft let alone fly to Alaska in one so I am seeking advise and experience from other pilots. I appreciate your info very much and it will help me to do this safely. Also with the standard tanks how far of legs will I be able to get on.

A very neat and clean looking machine! You'll certainly enjoy the flight through Canada and part of Alaska. I'd recommend you replace the 6.00 x 6 tires with 8.50 x 5 tires, but that's just my recommendation. They won't slow you down much, but if you have to put down on a rain-wet and muddy strip, you'll find them useful.

I don't recall the range on C-150s, sorry . . . Have a fun trip !!!

First tip thanks so much!!

Chris, sent you a pm

1. Make a list of what you need with you in the plane to make the trip.
    2. Make sure that equipment, along with you, your instructor, and fuel, will allow you to make this trip as planned. I suspect you will find the numbers difficult unless you and your instructor are both very small.
    3. There is more than just a solo flight needed, there are a number of solo requirements, including solo cross country flights. That doesn't mean it isn't a good plan, I learned to fly the same way, but you will have more to do when you get here than your initial post suggests.
    4. I've done the trip twice, once in the same situation as you, the second time bringing another airplane up with my son. It is a wonderful experience and well worth doing.
    5. Good luck.
    14 Days to Alaska
    Also available on Kindle and Nook

Thanks for the advice I'm not sure what the weight restrictions are or the fuel weight

Chris, get Troy's "14 days to Alaska". It's a good read and gets you in the mind set. We'll talk more, but suspect you will have less than 450-480 pounds usable, this doesn't include fuel (1600lbs max gross weight - empty weight of the aircraft) (My 150m is 473lbs). 135lbs of that will be fuel (22.5 gal x 6lbs/gal). Figure your required survival gear needed to carry. On the upper portion of the Canadian Legs, I carried 10 gallons of fuel in containers, needed it too. Let's just say pretty much my whole trip I was at max gross, plus or minus a few, and that was by myself. Give me a call once your in town.

Oh man I'm gonna have to go on a diet, I weigh 240lbs....230 naked.... I'll get that book though and read it thanks!!

It's going to be tough with two full sized adults to get any emergency fuel and survival gear in that plane without going over gross. My dad and I used to fly around in a 140 years ago. He was 230 and I was 180. At that point we could legally carry about 15 gallons of fuel. With our survival gear, clothes we were wearing and full fuel, we were always 100 pounds over gross.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

With full tanks 200nm legs is about as far as you are going to go VFR with reserve fuel, since you weigh in at 240 that alone is going to cut into what you will be able to carry in addition to the fellow that is going to go with you. There are things you are going to have to have on the airplane, like survival gear, Its also coming into winter, I personally would not do the trip in winter, but if you must then stick to the alaska highway all the way up, and be prepared for weather delays. The 150 is a good airplane, you just can haul a lot in them, my guess to keep you with in the weight limits you will most likely fly with something less than full fuel tanks 24 gallons 22.5 usable at around 6.5 gph @ about a TAS of 90 Kts, time and distance becomes a concern, fuel is going to be the kicker here, I am not sure about it but make sure every airport you plan on landing at has fuel. In winter aviation generally will slow down some, so be very mindful of were you can get fuel since you can't carry much to begin with. The other thing is going to be the Cold, be mindful about cold soaking, the O-200 puts out heat but well you may still have a problem with cold soaking in the kind of low temps you are going to run into. As a long time pilot and flight instructor, I would advise you not to do the trip now, the days are to short and its getting very cold, Plan for doing it in Mid- May or In June!

That is the plan doing the trip late May, and I'm going to get on a diet so I can loose some weight I'll try to get Down to 190-200 I'm 6'0 that way I can have the survival gear and not eat into my fuel weight

Even April usually works out for that trip. There is NO NIGHT vfr flight in the parts of Canada that you need to transit.

I like to cross in Canada from Oroville WA ( Dorthy Scott Airport.)
    Then stop at Penticton for Canadian customs and maybe more gas. From there to Kamloops.
    Then Kamloops to Williams Lake. get gas
    Williams Lake to Prince George. GAS
    Prince George to Fort ST John via Piney Pass.
    Fort St John to Fort Nelson
    Fort Nelson to Watson Lake
    Watson Lake to White Horse
    White Horse to US Customs at Tok or Northway.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Sounds a lot like that book I've been reading 14days to alaska they stop in those same spots!! Thanks for the tips I really appreciate it

Those airstrips were all built back during WWII with purpose of safely bringing planes up here, so they tend to be used for their intended purpose.
    I have flown several types of aircraft back and forth on that route over the years. Usually a three day trip.
    The only real trouble I ever had was a super cold snap in Fort Nelson during a weekend and nobody wanted to help me warm up my battery and engine.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Default Flight up from Michigan in 150

Chris, what's the status on your plane? Still looking at a May flight up?