Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Federal fisheries proposal

Boatless

yes an the BIO mass, is on the rize so the longliners can take more fish , do you think the sport fishmen can take some extra fish ?

I DON"T THINK SO only the longliners can take more fish not us sports, my 2 CTS SID

Quote Originally Posted by Sid View Post
    yes an the BIO mass, is on the rize so the longliners can take more fish , do you think the sport fishmen can take some extra fish ?

I DON"T THINK SO only the longliners can take more fish not us sports, my 2 CTS SID
    Not defending longliners, but do you need more fish as a sportfisherman than you are already able to get? I'm a sport fisherman, and I am able to get more halibut than I need, if I wanted to take that many. This more for me attitude makes me sick
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

"Meyer reported, area 3A charters caught 413,000 pounds, or about 23 percent more than allowed by their newly reduced quota." So give the charters more fish ?????

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Good Grief, it sounds like a meat packers union talking with a blue hair knitting book club. By using differing matrixes there really is not a system to address who is who in the zoo and what day Wednesday falls on!

Although I took my dad on a butt charter (never again, long story), I can see the impact of reducing the catch. The monitary impact to more Alaskans via charters over commerical would seem obvious.

It's a real mess working with feds that already have an agenda and state with their own point of view.

But I have to agree that the mine, mine All mine attitude will stop any type of progress.
    All paradise rests in the shadow of swords." ~K. Yates

Quote Originally Posted by hoose35 View Post
    Not defending longliners, but do you need more fish as a sportfisherman than you are already able to get? I'm a sport fisherman, and I am able to get more halibut than I need, if I wanted to take that many. This more for me attitude makes me sick
    I agree in a way. I know not everyone does what I do, but I can fill my freezers living in Anchorage without ever chartering (or starting a motor other than my civic for that matter but now I am bragging...lol). I think they have done a valiant job trying to keep the individual sportfishers access to the halibut. I think the bigger discussion point is to what extent guiding sportfishers is "commercial fishing".

It's a very valuable but finite resource that is a public good. Allocation battles are going to occur as it does for EVERY desirable and finite resource. I watch this closely not because I feel the current system is an injustice to sportfishers, but to make sure that sportfishers here in Alaska (many who fish halibut not so much for sport as personal use at least how its used) always have access to them. But sportfishers, like the other groups need to be part of the solution. Not just dig your heels in and be "ALL ME". Frankly, the only group that I think that has NOT been cut in Southcentral Alaska from the heyday "whack and stack'em" years has been the individual sportfisherman. For as long as I can remember the limit has been, and at least for now, continues to be two fish. Sportfishermen have been very fortunate so far. At least in my opinion.

so lets keen the charter boats off the water altogether not just one day a week, like they are talking about now , that way thw BIO. mass will increase even more SID

This is hilarious. Comfish and the charter fleet duke it out while the trawl fleet laughs. They waste more that all of sport/ charter combined. Why is it that NO ONE is doing anything about this? The trawlers are laughing because the spotlight is not on them and they are wasting tons of halibut! If I wasted one halibut I would get a ticket if caught. wonton waste! They are wasting tons and no one cares or does anything about it.

Quote Originally Posted by kgpcr View Post
    This is hilarious. Comfish and the charter fleet duke it out while the trawl fleet laughs. They waste more that all of sport/ charter combined. Why is it that NO ONE is doing anything about this? The trawlers are laughing because the spotlight is not on them and they are wasting tons of halibut! If I wasted one halibut I would get a ticket if caught. wonton waste! They are wasting tons and no one cares or does anything about it.
    Oh come now, if the feds are running things it has to be getting done right and unbiased.

Charterboat Operator

couldn't have said it better!!!!!

Just got a email from the charter association, seems one over 29 one 29" or less and 5 per year per person. If that happens and looks like it will, that isn't enough fish to feed a family. Let's hope not.no comment on the com. /charter/ sport fisherman battle, too many friends on all sides and I wish I had a good ans. to it all.
    Ps. No fishing on Thursday for charter guys.

Quote Originally Posted by algonquin View Post
    Just got a email from the charter association, seems one over 29 one 29" or less and 5 per year per person. If that happens and looks like it will, that isn't enough fish to feed a family. Let's hope not.no comment on the com. /charter/ sport fisherman battle, too many friends on all sides and I wish I had a good ans. to it all.
    So 5 halibut per family member is not enough for you?
    Not saying you shouldn't be allowed more but......
    My family of three took 14 halibut this year. With all of our salmon etc. that is enough for us.
    My guess is no Alaskans will starve due to this.
    There has to be cuts somewhere and charters went over their allocation.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

How in the world do people in Arizona survive? I doubt they get 5 halibut per person. I eat a lot of halibut and my family of 5 keep 10 or less halibut a year.
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

I've heard some horrible stories in this area. I wish some whistleblowers would come forward and stir this up.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

Looks like 2c (SE) keeps the reverse slot. Lost some inches and we have an under 40" and over 80". It's actually a pretty big cut for us. It is what it is... That limit will start cost some of the newer, less established charters some business, which should cut the numbers down to the point where we should have higher limits in the next few years.

that isn't enough fish to feed a family.
    ok, I know its not that hard to confuse me, but this statement did. If you are using a charter to feed your family, that would make it about $5 a pound IF they got all five in three charters and all three were at least 30#. Kind of an expensive way to approach it from. It would limit out of state fisherman from more then three trips a year.
    All paradise rests in the shadow of swords." ~K. Yates

Quote Originally Posted by Sid View Post

Where do you get your info on the biomass being on the rise or the longliners getting an increase?
    This article doesn't state that and I haven't heard anywhere that this is true. Care to link a source to your info to back your claims?

if you look how the boards are made you will see why the long liners get what they get, the percentage is not in favor of the sport fishermen
    my 2 CTS SID

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    Where do you get your info on the biomass being on the rise or the longliners getting an increase?
    This article doesn't state that and I haven't heard anywhere that this is true. Care to link a source to your info to back your claims?
    There was a slight uptick in biomass, but not really enough to make up for the overages that the charter fleet had in 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by 270ti View Post
    There was a slight uptick in biomass, but not really enough to make up for the overages that the charter fleet had in 2013.
    OK that makes sense.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast