Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: .22 LR AMMO.......RANTS, Screams,CRY,Snivvel,BE'Witch about price HERE.

Default .22 LR AMMO.......RANTS, Screams,CRY,Snivvel,BE'Witch about price HERE.

OK.....Play nice, have respect for your fellow forum members, but express your thoughts, feelings, anguish, pain & suffering, evil vile gougers, those conspiring to deprive you of .22 Long Rifle Ammo.

For me I wonder where to price will settle at....? I realize there is some that comes available now and then in the $23.00 to $26.00 per brick range. However my guess is that this is a "LOST LEADER" pricing to keep some goodwill, and get people into the store in hope they will buy other products at regular price.

As I only go to town every 60 days, for me if a product is not nearly always available at some price, then the fact that they had it one day last month, even if it was free, does me no good.

I have posted several question threads on other forums, asking about the price and availability in members area, which on some forums is world wide responders. I know this will enrage some members here, however that is not my goal as I have none for sale, but the feedback I have gotten is $49.99 to $99.99 per brick, and it is not really available at all time at those prices.

Yes, I fully realize that all of you are buying it at $19.99 to $24.99 and you seem to always be able to find it. To which I say good for you. Really I am happy for you and your family.

Sadly my personal best guess is that the price per brick will stabilize at around $45.99 to around $55.99 However I at this point fear it may be a LONG time till it stabilizes at any price. It was a full two years ago that the Sandy Hill school shooting happened.

For me the most interesting part of this as been the outrage that people have expressed, and I do mean Outrage. Outrage about the availability and the price if it was not what they feel is fair. We experienced this with Gasoline after OPEC embargo. I fear we will see it with food in the next five years. We can live without .22 LR ammo, but we can't live without food.

So express your outrage, or feeling about where you think the price will stabilize.....

Here are some prices in America: The price chart is constantly be updated.....It takes time to load, just wait.....http://www.gunbot.net/ammo/rimfire/22lr/

There's some stuff showing on gunbot right now that I would be happy to buy at the listed price, but the products/prices listed are not relevant to Alaska. When product returns to the shelves here I'll buy what I need.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

For me it's already stabilized at $0. I quit buying. I have enough for my needs, but I've cut way back on those through casting my own for cheap shooting in CF rounds, and especially through reduced loads in small bore traditional muzzleloaders. I fired exactly 10 rounds of 22 this year, sight-in for a hunt that I subsequently made with a 32 caliber muzzleloader.

IMHO, if people are paying more than 6 cents a round for .22LR for bulk pack/blasting ammo---that is $30 per brick---you are getting screwed. Be patient, as .22 LR is slowly coming back.

Quote Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
    IMHO, if people are paying more than 6 cents a round for .22LR for bulk pack/blasting ammo---that is $30 per brick---you are getting screwed.
    As long as it's consensual, who are we to judge? IMHO, people should be free to get screwed, if that's their choice.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    As long as it's consensual, who are we to judge? IMHO, people should be free to get screwed, if that's their choice.
    And people do, in fact, choose to get screwed.......lol

Fact is, if it comes to the point that I have to pay $50-$100 a brick, I'll just buy a different caliber gun. Always wanted a good predator gun anyway......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Do you have a guess as to WHEN.....??? People said in three months it will be cheap and available, but that was TWO YEARS AGO. Do you figure in two or four more years......Maybe.

.22LR cartridges have a value to someone, because the manufacturers claim they are running 24/7/365. So that tells me that someone or a lot of someone's are very willing to trade their paper money for .22 LR ammo. I have no idea what they are paying for it, but they sure see long term security in owning .22 LR ammo, and do NOT see long term security in owning U.S. Paper Money.

IMHO, if people are paying more than 6 cents a round for .22LR for bulk pack/blasting ammo---that is $30 per brick---you are getting screwed. Be patient, as .22 LR is slowly coming back.

at Cabelas...today..
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Well, the cheapest 5.56X45MM ammo is about .40 cents a round if you buy a 1,000 at a time ($399.99 per 1,000 at wally-world). At that rate your looking at $200.00 per brick of 500 rounds. But the good news is that it is available......for now anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    And people do, in fact, choose to get screwed.......lol

Fact is, if it comes to the point that I have to pay $50-$100 a brick, I'll just buy a different caliber gun. Always wanted a good predator gun anyway......

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Do you have a guess as to WHEN.....??? People said in three months it will be cheap and available, but that was TWO YEARS AGO. Do you figure in two or four more years......Maybe.

.22LR cartridges have a value to someone, because the manufacturers claim they are running 24/7/365. So that tells me that someone or a lot of someone's are very willing to trade their paper money for .22 LR ammo. I have no idea what they are paying for it, but they sure see long term security in owning .22 LR ammo, and do NOT see long term security in owning U.S. Paper Money.

I wish I had a crystal ball on this 22LR ammo situation. I will say, as a fellow gun nut, it has been somewhat "fun" to find the occasion deals on bulk 22LR. I mostly reload all my rifle, shotgun, and pistol ammo. But I'm forced to buy 22LR as I can't reload that.

Looking at my past receipts from April 2014, I was able to find some bulk pack 22LR I purchased from Wal-Mart for $22.97 for the Remington 525 pack and $20.88 for the Winchester 333 pack. Those prices were in line with the pre-Sandy Hook guns and ammo hysteria. I find 3 box (50 rd.) limits at Sporty's, 3 Bears, and Cabela's on a fairly regular basis to this day, although those prices are a bit higher. The situation with 22LR in Alaska is getting better every day, but the key is patience and many visits to the gun shops.

I think Alaska is in a unique situation as we are at the end of the supply chain for 22LR ammo. Perhaps it's better in the Lower 48 for price and availability.

Some folks "invest" in tangibles suchs as guns, ammo, precious metals, and real estate. I think the financial returns on ammo purchases for the last few decades have easily outpaced inflation. And the fact that more and more people are buying firearms and ammo to shoot through them will guarantee price stability and appreciation. Good luck in your hunt for 22LR.

Says the old man who claims to have made millions in real estate and now doomsday preps in a shack back at the end of the road. More than 5000 posts and most of them spent defending a post made earlier and usually to stir the pot. Just go for a hike and simmer down and enjoy your fat stacks of cash and your view of the hill and leave the rest of us uneducated, unprepared, over civilized, nearly neutered saps to our own sad devices, I guess I just can't handle your truth.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

"I am reduced to such a degree of despondency and distress, that I am now ready to sink under the insupportable pressure of this very great calamity."

I don't think that the Market for a brick of 22 LR will sustain a price of anywhere close to $50, or even $40. IMO, it will stabilize anywhere from $25 to $30 .

Any more than that and I will stop using such an underpowered cartridge that is of dubious value for anything other than practice, and very small game hunting, anyway.

My 22 Mag. Rifle is a better cartridge, but the price of ammo is too high to waste much of it on practice. I will not practice with 22 LR if it's as expensive at that.

I don't know when adequate supplies will again be available, but suspect they ARE coming back. Otherwise, we wouldn't see even he meager supplies at reasonable prices, we see now.

As to the price of Gas and other such things, there is a price beyond which folks will pay. Supply isn't the only thing that effects demand. Prices effect it also.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Well you guys stuck with .22LR at least, I personally gave my 2 22LR rifles to my sons along with all the .22LR ammo I had. I am done messing with wacko's who horde. I now small game hunt with my 12 gauge. I wonder what the next manifesto will want as currency to the "chosen few". I hope it is 44 sharpe and hart.

Let me respond from the other side: I am part owner of a gun shop in Georgia; we have plenty of 22 ammo.
    As far as price, what we pay for it has risen. Typically we're $1.00 to $2.00 per box/brick based on what it costs to put it in our hands.
    Shipping costs are up and distributers, when they have it, will ship, but for us to get discounted shipping, we have to order $750 - $1000 depending.

There are people who must love the taste of lead, brass, and powder because they hoarded it and tried to sell in the tell-n-sell or craigslist, 2-3X what they paid and now they are stuck with it.
    Some of these people approach us to buy their hoarded stock, which we may or may not do, depending on what's on the shelf. Also we do hold enough in reserve where if a person purchases a 22, we give them a box or two.

Some of our gun shops is selling there 22 ammo at $60 to $80 dollars a brick and there shelves are full as people are not buying it. Other stores are selling at a fair price and when they get a shipment in it goes real fast. I bought a brick of Winchester LR HP the other day for around $10 that had 222 in it. It was at wal-mart and they had a limit of 1 per customer. I bought one and the counter guy told me he only had one left and it had just come in a few hours earlier that day.

A buddy of mine traps and needed some 22 short to dispatch caught animals with and he paid about $11 or $12 dollars for a 100 pack. Said he looked several places before he found this.

I think Alaska is in a unique situation as we are at the end of the supply chain...
    We're not at the end of the supply chain...we're not even ON the supply chain...we're on the supply ROPE!

.22 ammo is nearly a break even affair for manufacturers during normal production, which is why they aren't adding more production. The price will come back down to $20 a brick some day, once people get tired of paying $50 a brick. As a nearly zero profit item, manufacturers are producing it to support gun sales and customer loyalty, almost exclusively. Those ideas apply to bulk plinking ammo, probably a little different for high end stuff, which is fairly readily available and that's why.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, the cheapest 5.56X45MM ammo is about .40 cents a round if you buy a 1,000 at a time ($399.99 per 1,000 at wally-world). At that rate your looking at $200.00 per brick of 500 rounds. But the good news is that it is available......for now anyway.
    3 Bears has Federal 1000ct for like $349 right now. 55gr FMJ. I haven't seen it cheaper anywhere else.

You know, through this whole ammo shortage, I noticed that shotshells were always on the shelf. Very few people milling around them either, unlike the other shelves. I'll admit that I did not think that it would take this long for 22lr to start showing up again. So, the other day, I bought a case of 12ga target loads, a box of clays, and a thrower. Got the shotguns out and took it all out to the cabin

We sure did have a blast knocking (or at least trying to) clays out of the air. More expensive than plinking with 22s? Yes. More fun? Definitely. Am I confident that I can walk into any sportings goods store after work today and buy all the shotshells I want? You bet.

I just shoot the cheap steel case stuff.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast