Thread: 300 r.u.m.

Default 300 r.u.m.

I have a 300 R.U.M. and am shooting berge bullets in it. in order to get great accuracy I have to seat the bullets out to far to be able to fit them in the magazine. if I shorten up the free throat enough to make them fit what will happen to my accuracy. I will have to shorten them up about .018.

Dunno. From a cost perspective you can have a good barrel installed with the chamber cut so you can load the bullets you want.

In my Tannel built 700 using Nosler brass my base to ogive is 2.971" and touches the lands. Base to tip using Berger 210 OTM bullets that I tipped is 3.616" exactly. I have about 0.065" left in the magazine. I wanted the tips of the bullets to almost touch so during recoil they wouldn't build up enough momentum to drive the bullets into the case.

Unfortunately, when dealing with a factory rifle, you have to work with what you have.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Quote Originally Posted by larry guns View Post
    I have a 300 R.U.M. and am shooting berge bullets in it. in order to get great accuracy I have to seat the bullets out to far to be able to fit them in the magazine. if I shorten up the free throat enough to make them fit what will happen to my accuracy. I will have to shorten them up about .018.
    I've never seen a rechamber do anything other than improve accuracy on a barrel so I wouldn't hesitate if that is your concern. The 300 RUM is a long cartridge and setting the chamber back may be great for the Berger bullets you are using, but realize that you may run the risk of having factory ammo be too long for your "custom" throated rifle. A Wyatt's magazine box might be a fix. Gunbugs installed one on my 7mm STW a few years ago and it has worked perfectly.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

You can install a Wyatt's magizine box on your gun .. It is a longer magizine designed for berger bullets.

I have a Wyatt's mag box on my 700 338 Edge and I can get almost 4.00 inches oal.

Gus

Wyatt box, or just run the gun with one bullet, or one in the chamber and one down. The first bullet in the magazine fits fine, the other two do not. If you are shooting long range, you usually have time to doink around a lot, so it might work for you.