Thread: 100 grain spitzers with 53 gr Varget?

Default 100 grain spitzers with 53 gr Varget?

In the .270 win. Anyone wanna chime in and warn me? 53.5 is max. Ill admit I
    think it may be excessive, but case is only 90% capa. Oal is 3.120. Only worry, they were tight to fit. The brass was new and had been resized first. Good to go. Not sure why it was such a tight push into case?

Release Lake Trout

Is the shoulder set back enough on the new brass? Check that the dies are properly set up. That is the first place I would be checking. Did you 'pick' 53.0 grains or did you work up to that load? Some time max is not the 'sweet' spot for some loads/rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Bearcat View Post
    Is the shoulder set back enough on the new brass? Check that the dies are properly set up. That is the first place I would be checking. Did you 'pick' 53.0 grains or did you work up to that load? Some time max is not the 'sweet' spot for some loads/rifles.
    i picked it based on the research I had. I have not built a ladder. My father says its gonna be hot and maybe I should drop to 52.0. Maybe I should. He is a tad of an old timer expert. His only worry is that Varget is such a fast burning powder. Bearcat the dies were a tad short heightened on my press. I adjusted and it should ok now. It worked fine for seating 140 ABs last month with no trouble. Don't understand why a shorter bullet would have a harder insert.

Release Lake Trout

You are 1.5grs over max. That it's self maybe to much. Speed does not mean accuracy. No deer, elk or moose is woth damaging your gun or you self for that fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Kruger View Post
    You are 1.5grs over max. That it's self maybe to much. Speed does not mean accuracy. No deer, elk or moose is woth damaging your gun or you self for that fact.
    Just to clarify, the book I'm taking this from says the Max is 53.5. But I'm loading up a ladder now. Starting at 51.0 also I do not plan to use this load on big game. Wolves and coyotes and maybe fox. Speed may not mean accuracy but it does mean a quick hole puncher.

Release Lake Trout

I got that from Hodgdon's load manual.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt&FishAK View Post
    Just to clarify, the book I'm taking this from says the Max is 53.5. But I'm loading up a ladder now. Starting at 51.0 also I do not plan to use this load on big game. Wolves and coyotes and maybe fox. Speed may not mean accuracy but it does mean a quick hole puncher.
    Speed also means big exit holes in fur, don't know if you intend to keep hides?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    Speed also means big exit holes in fur, don't know if you intend to keep hides?

I am planning to keep. I was hoping the opposite was true limon. Thinking that it would just punch real quick like and not give the bullet a chance to open..... Unless of course it connects with bone. Is my logic totally backward? Or could it hold water?

Release Lake Trout

I am planning to keep. I was hoping the opposite was true limon. Thinking that it would just punch real quick like and not give the bullet a chance to open..... Unless of course it connects with bone. Is my logic totally backward? Or could it hold water?
    I'd sure be nervous about that with soft points, admittedly that's anecdotal from the research I've done on forums.

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    I'd sure be nervous about that with soft points, admittedly that's anecdotal from the research I've done on forums.

I'm very open to criticism And advice and really appreciate everyone's time and responses. My main scope for doing this load was I'm nervous about ruining hides with the other bullets I have, like sst, accubonds, and ballistic tips and deep curls. I've also got game kings and a few others but I have seen what they do on deer and black bear and I fear it's too much for a pelt. Just my experience and the fact that every fox and coyote I've shot with the poly tip bullets have had very severe damage, especially at extreme ranges. Just hate ruining fur.

of course I could pick up a .17 or 22-250..... But why?

Release Lake Trout

Default 100 grain spitzers with 53 gr Varget?

Based on your posts so far it seems to me you want a long range load? I would try the lightest TSX or TTSX for a .270 you can find, 110gr maybe, I can't recall off the top of my head.

That's what I've gone to in .223 along with a little hotter load in case I run into a wolf.

My theory is the TTSX shouldn't produce an exit any bigger than roughly twice it's diameter if I can get it to blow through and not hit a shoulder. Even at close range it should stay together.

I missed a coyote last year that would have been my first real world test so I've got no results to back up my theory!

I'm very open to criticism And advice and really appreciate everyone's time and responses. My main scope for doing this load was I'm nervous about ruining hides with the other bullets I have, like sst, accubonds, and ballistic tips and deep curls. I've also got game kings and a few others but I have seen what they do on deer and black bear and I fear it's too much for a pelt. Just my experience and the fact that every fox and coyote I've shot with the poly tip bullets have had very severe damage, especially at extreme ranges. Just hate ruining fur.

of course I could pick up a .17 or 22-250..... But why?
    I've killed quite a few foxes with various centerfire rifles and I haven't found one that will not make a mess of them with expanding bullets, though the .17s and .22s are easier on them than most. FWIW, I've made messes out of fox hides with edge hits and solid bullets. I haven't used the 100 grain in the .270, but I've used the 90 grain Sierra and that is not a hide saving combination for small furbearers. I'm not at all certain that there is a bullet that can be pushed at maximum velocity in the .270 and not destroy the hide of a fox or similar sized critter with torso shot placement. If you're determined to use the .270 I'd start by finding a load that is under 2000 fps MV (bullet type wouldn't matter to me at all) or use the mandatory head shot. Otherwise you'll have a very dead fox and a mostly worthless hide.......BTDT
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Cor15:19 View Post
    I've killed quite a few foxes with various centerfire rifles and I haven't found one that will not make a mess of them with expanding bullets, though the .17s and .22s are easier on them than most. FWIW, I've made messes out of fox hides with edge hits and solid bullets. I haven't used the 100 grain in the .270, but I've used the 90 grain Sierra and that is not a hide saving combination for small furbearers. I'm not at all certain that there is a bullet that can be pushed at maximum velocity in the .270 and not destroy the hide of a fox or similar sized critter with torso shot placement. If you're determined to use the .270 I'd start by finding a load that is under 2000 fps MV (bullet type wouldn't matter to me at all) or use the mandatory head shot. Otherwise you'll have a very dead fox and a mostly worthless hide.......BTDT
    This poster's advice roughly follows what I've been using with good success, which is heavy for caliber and slow. Obviously this makes for a shorter range gun. I've got some 160gr partitions in .277 that I bought with bear hunting over bait in mind but it might make a decent 200 yard predator round too. I might just have to give that a try if the shoot out of my rifle. I've got a batch loaded up but I haven't had a chance to shoot them yet.

On another note, I looked at TSX on Brownell's website and they had 110gr and 85gr. which could be interesting. On the high end they offer 150s.

TTSX comes in a 110 and a 130

You do know that Barnes makes a banded solid in .277"? Probably what you want to use on fur bearers that you want to salvage the hide from.

Wow I had no idea, interesting idea.