Thread: 2015 UCI sockeye forecast released...

Default 2015 UCI sockeye forecast released...

"Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Did they figure out what happened to last years escapement? The Quartz ck drainage was less then half of an average run and the Russian didn't look much better.

Quote Originally Posted by mikebraun View Post
    Did they figure out what happened to last years escapement? The Quartz ck drainage was less then half of an average run and the Russian didn't look much better.
    The Russian made both early and late run escapement goals. Not sure where you are getting your quartz creek data, but I haven't heard or seen anything to validate your statement.
    "The North wind is cold no matter what direction it's blowing"

Quote Originally Posted by DannerAK View Post
    The Russian made both early and late run escapement goals. Not sure where you are getting your quartz creek data, but I haven't heard or seen anything to validate your statement.
    I know the Russian had a strong early run but the late run was weak.

As for Quartz ck I get my data from walking the creek from the power plant down to the lake late July through late Aug. Many days we would find 1/2 mile or more stretches without a single sockeye then a small pack then nothing again for a ways. I would bet that the run was down by over 50% of average. Most years this creek gets a lot of people but this past summer we alone most days.

The Crescent ck run was even worse. Usually by Aug 15-20th this little creek is plugged with sockeye. But on Aug 24th when I stood on the bridge and counted there were a total of 9 sockeye within site instead of about 500 like most years.

As for Quartz ck I get my data from walking the creek from the power plant down to the lake late July through late Aug. Many days we would find 1/2 mile or more stretches without a single sockeye then a small pack then nothing again for a ways. I would bet that the run was down by over 50% of average. Most years this creek gets a lot of people but this past summer we alone most days.

The Crescent ck run was even worse. Usually by Aug 15-20th this little creek is plugged with sockeye. But on Aug 24th when I stood on the bridge and counted there were a total of 9 sockeye within site instead of about 500 like most years.
    The "weak" Russian late run was 52K fish. 20K more than in 2013. Last year was a bit non typical in quartz. Things were happening earlier than usual. The few times I walked that creek it was loaded with sockeye. Maybe you missed it last year.

Russian River late run was weak? 52,277 sockeye after harvest is not a "weak" run. As far as Quartz and Crescent Creek, you were just too late. Quartz was on fire before July 18th this year and there was nobody there except for me . Crescent was a week later. There were more sockeye in Quartz on July 18th this year than any other year before this that I have witnessed.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

I didn't know salmon carried calendars....

We had great fishing on the Upper Kenai/Russian, again, this last season.....
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Cant remember exact day i was at Quartz Creek this year but the few spots along the creek i stopped everywhere i looked there was spawning sockeye in multiple big schools and some starting to form breeding pairs. Creek looked plenty full in good spawning territory.

As mentioned, Russian had a run of 52,000+ sockeye above the weir.This does not include the sockeye spawning below the weir, which last year entailed thousands upon thousands of sockeye. On that note, trout fishing was a litle tough during the spawn due to the vast amount of actively spawning sockeye and pinks. There were more pinks spawning in the Russian and Upper Kenai than I have seen in 30 years. As Hippie mentioned, they can be early, late, or on time. This year the sockeye spawn was very early on Quartz and Crescent.

Quote Originally Posted by FishGod View Post
    As mentioned, Russian had a run of 52,000+ sockeye above the weir.This does not include the sockeye spawning below the weir, which last year entailed thousands upon thousands of sockeye. On that note, trout fishing was a litle tough during the spawn due to the vast amount of actively spawning sockeye and pinks. There were more pinks spawning in the Russian and Upper Kenai than I have seen in 30 years. As Hippie mentioned, they can be early, late, or on time. This year the sockeye spawn was very early on Quartz and Crescent.
    I'll admit I only went to the Russian once and I don't sockeye fish but the numbers were low at that time.

I do fish Quartz and Crescent at least 20 days a year for the past 15 years. Crescent did not get an early run and the late run looked more like some strays then a run. Quartz had an OK early run but way less then I see most years ( even if I was late there would be dead ones ) and the late run was terrible as compared to what I normally see.
    Most years there are guides all over the place but this year very few so they must have seen what I was seeing. We still caught plenty of trout/dollies every day but down from previous years.

I'll admit I only went to the Russian once and I don't sockeye fish but the numbers were low at that time.

I do fish Quartz and Crescent at least 20 days a year for the past 15 years. Crescent did not get an early run and the late run looked more like some strays then a run. Quartz had an OK early run but way less then I see most years ( even if I was late there would be dead ones ) and the late run was terrible as compared to what I normally see.
    Most years there are guides all over the place but this year very few so they must have seen what I was seeing. We still caught plenty of trout/dollies every day but down from previous years.
    All I can say is you were not in the right place at the right time. The places I fished on Quartz and Crescent this year were swarming with spawning sockeye and there was nobody around me for over a mile. I saw more bears than people and I like it that way.

All I can say is you were not in the right place at the right time. The places I fished on Quartz and Crescent this year were swarming with spawning sockeye and there was nobody around me for over a mile. I saw more bears than people and I like it that way.
    I was in the right places at the right time and we caught our 100+ fish a day. But in years past you didn't have to be " in the right place at the right time" because they were everywhere and you could hit any stretch of river.
    If Crescent got a run it must have come the last week of Aug because they were not there on Aug 25th yet except a few stragglers.

You definitely look like someone I'd like to fish with next summer while I'm there.

I was in the right places at the right time and we caught our 100+ fish a day. But in years past you didn't have to be " in the right place at the right time" because they were everywhere and you could hit any stretch of river.
    If Crescent got a run it must have come the last week of Aug because they were not there on Aug 25th yet except a few stragglers.
    All we are trying to tell you is that this year was different than years past. The fish were there early. You missed what you've seen in previous years. The returns were good, and so was the trout fishing.

You definitely look like someone I'd like to fish with next summer while I'm there.
    And she puts out too! Its all good once you get over the smell of lowtide.

Quote Originally Posted by DannerAK View Post
    And she puts out too! Its all good once you get over the smell of lowtide.
    She's too skinny and hairy for my taste!

Both of you are just jealous because I've caught more massive rainbows than both of you clowns put together. I know, the truth hurts

'Bow's before Bro's.....
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Both of you are just jealous because I've caught more massive rainbows than both of you clowns put together. I know, the truth hurts
    That might be true, but it doesn't stop me from trying! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by kenaibow fan View Post
    That might be true, but it doesn't stop me from trying! LOL
    Might be true???

Eh, I am trying to save what little dignity I have left! LOL