Thread: Anchorage meat processors for non resident hunters?

Default Anchorage meat processors for non resident hunters?

Looking for options on meat processors in anchorage for 2015 Caribou hunt. Not wanting to spend a lot of time in Anchorage on the way home. What are my options for getting meat home. Any processors have a 1 day turn around for flash freeze? We plan on having it all boned out and in 2 gallon freezer bags. Shipping?

If your flying your best bet is put it in a cooler and fly it home with you. It will be way cheaper. My guess you won't get a one day turn around. I bet if your lucky it will be a week at best. Im sure someone with more experience will chime in.

The best bet is to either use coolers or the 50 lb fish boxes and ship it as baggage. I usually use Alaska Sausage and Seafood but if I'm successful in my winter moose hunt, seriously considering trying Indian Valley. Kid is right that a one day turnaround is not going to happen, unless all you want to do is have them freeze it, that might be possible. Alaska S&S is in Anchorage itself (Indian Valley is south about 30 minute drive or so). 907 562-3636. Can't hurt to call and ask.

Thanks guys, just what I was looking for. So hunting in area 25 we have to leave the meat on the bone I believe. Can it be deboned prior to freezing and the flight home?

YOu can debone it once it is out of the field, so yes. If you can get a good chill on it, it should ship okay in a waxed box. If you dont' have time (or need) to cut it up into bits, even good sized bou hinds should fit in a waxed box. They come with sturdy plastic bag liners so the ziplocs aren't even necessary if you dont' wish. Mail your gear, fly with your meat. Even at 50 bucks for a box, it's still a pretty decent deal if you can get it right up to 50 lbs. Take it out of the game bags as even good meat is often surrounded by a tangy game bag after a week in the field......or rebag before flying.

I personally try to keep my animals as whole as possible (but usually quartered) to minimize mess, contamination, and waste from exposed cuts. And, it will be easier to know what the heck you are cutting up when you get home if it's not all just in a bunch of bags. Personally, I'd save the boning until you know you need the space or weight.

If your flying Alaska Airlines, your third Baggage will be 75.00 up to 99#. Debone, freeze and use chill packs in a 150Qt. Cooler and you'll be good to go.