Thread: Gun Show

Default Gun Show

anybody get any good deals at the gun show this weekend?

I happened to be in town for the week and my daughter and I decided to go. To us, all we saw was the normal high priced ammo and most of the guns were overpriced. I always enjoy looking but didn't see anything that made me bring out the wallet.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

It is, and has been a very small show there.

I didn't find anything to buy, and very little that was interesting.

But, I always enjoy Gunshows.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I don't know what the gun shows in Ak are like but the last one I attended in Ia was at the State Fairgrounds. 500 tables and 32,000 people walked on each others feet between friday night and sunday noon. I had to park a mile away. NOT for me!

I didn't get to walk around much, as I was pretty well confined to my booth... but my favorite tables were the display of ammo that Rod and Kathy have... impressive collection, to say the least.
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    I don't know what the gun shows in Ak are like but the last one I attended in Ia was at the State Fairgrounds. 500 tables and 32,000 people walked on each others feet between friday night and sunday noon. I had to park a mile away. NOT for me!
    Went to the Crossroads Of The West show Sunday in Phoenix, about 1000 tables and 200K people through it. Yea I don't like masses of people ether but the real turn off is its all new tactikool crap anymore, less and less boxes of old odd parts to dig through looking for a treasure.

Shows in Alaska are better, smaller (50-100ish tables) with lots of cool old stuff. Trouble there is every show is a repeat of the last, because of the island nature of Alaska the folks or the weirs don't change much.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

The Maryland shows I've been too are pretty bad, bunch of tacticool crap, overpriced ammo, and no winchesters. Did find some out of production barnes bullets for pretty cheap though.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

I don't even waste my time even thinking about going to a gun show anymore. You guys have all hit on the same reasons why, it seems. (Glad I'm not alone.) Overpriced guns. Overpriced ammo. Hunters have been run out of gun shows by the assault weapons crowd. Pretty sick of it myself, so I don't bother.

I woudn't say hunters have been run out of gun shows. I remember walking into any of the shows in AK and usually always drooling over something. Like seeing an molested pre 64 model 70, or an old 700 in some crazy rare chambering. Sometimes you'd see a remington rand 1911, or a model 71 winchester for a good price, good source for model 94 big bores too. Lots of model 88 winchesters, and usually priced pretty fair. My problem with gun shows is I'm too poor to usually afford the guns I really want, and I'm usually always after winchesters, so I have a really short list of guns that I'm interested in buying. I usually just end up buying reloading components.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Quote Originally Posted by duckslayer56 View Post
    I woudn't say hunters have been run out of gun shows. I remember walking into any of the shows in AK and usually always drooling over something. Like seeing an molested pre 64 model 70, or an old 700 in some crazy rare chambering. Sometimes you'd see a remington rand 1911, or a model 71 winchester for a good price, good source for model 94 big bores too. Lots of model 88 winchesters, and usually priced pretty fair. My problem with gun shows is I'm too poor to usually afford the guns I really want, and I'm usually always after winchesters, so I have a really short list of guns that I'm interested in buying. I usually just end up buying reloading components.
    I'm kind of in the same boat with you, but why I am going to pay for parking and admission to look at one or two tables of Winchesters and 100-200 tables of assault rifles? Waste of time.

Quote Originally Posted by FL2AK-Old Town View Post
    I'm kind of in the same boat with you, but why I am going to pay for parking and admission to look at one or two tables of Winchesters and 100-200 tables of assault rifles? Waste of time.
    Not that I care if you attend, but your reasons for not attending, don't hold water.

Even allowing for some hyperbole, they are not even close to correct.

I've never been to a gunshow in AK where I hadda pay for parking.

IME, a few tables are devoted to the ARs and the rest are varied.

In spite of the fact that I don't care for ARs myself, I recognize that they are more and more used for hunting. Many are supposedly designed just for that purpose.

Besides, some of the Vendors are my friends. (Non-AR vendors, Hyuk, Hyuk.)

When I think of the deals I've made at gunshows in the past, it's often disappointing that I can't seem to find something of interest anymore. Also the current trend of higher prices is a disappointment.

$5 to $7 entrance fee is worth it to me, just to be there. I find, Just the idea of a gun show to be exciting.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Been going to gun shows in Alaska since the early 1990s. Never paid for parking ever. You need to stay away from the Sullivan Arena if that is what you are referring to. Go out to the better gun shows at WHS and Palmer Fairgrounds. Lots of hunting guns and stuff there too.

Quote Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
    Been going to gun shows in Alaska since the early 1990s. Never paid for parking ever. You need to stay away from the Sullivan Arena if that is what you are referring to. Go out to the better gun shows at WHS and Palmer Fairgrounds. Lots of hunting guns and stuff there too.
    You know..I'm going to eat a little crow and clarify my statement some. I've not yet been to a gun show in AK. So what I"m referring to are gun shows in the southeastern U.S.

You know..I'm going to eat a little crow and clarify my statement some. I've not yet been to a gun show in AK. So what I"m referring to are gun shows in the southeastern U.S.
    geez..... I thought this thread was about opinions on the (local gun show). I didn't attend Harvard nor Yale for that matter.... But at least I can figure that one out.. maybe you should be more specific in the future... Maybe a comment along the lines of ( in my opinion, here in the southeast the gun shows are no longer worth attending).... even though I think your views of gun shows in general hold true ... at least I have been to the gunshows here locally, in order to develop an opinion on the matter.

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    If folks up thisaway hadda walk that far, they'd be usin their wheelers.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    Went to the Crossroads Of The West show Sunday in Phoenix, about 1000 tables and 200K people through it. Yea I don't like masses of people ether but the real turn off is its all new tactikool crap anymore, less and less boxes of old odd parts to dig through looking for a treasure.
    WOW!
    You know how to LIVE Andy.

You're livin it up down there.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    WOW!
    You know how to LIVE Andy.

You're livin it up down there.

Smitty of the North
    Haha, yup. I'll be at a table in the Dallas Safari Club show in Big-D next month. Then week after that is SHOT Show in Vegas and I may hit that too.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I go to any gun show that I can get to. This last one had nothing I was even kinda interested in but it's still worth it as sometimes I find some odd tid bit that just isn't available anywhere else. A while back I found a magazine for my Savage 1919 NRA target 22 for $15. That was worth going to several more and finding nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskanTides View Post
    geez..... I thought this thread was about opinions on the (local gun show). I didn't attend Harvard nor Yale for that matter.... But at least I can figure that one out.. maybe you should be more specific in the future... Maybe a comment along the lines of ( in my opinion, here in the southeast the gun shows are no longer worth attending).... even though I think your views of gun shows in general hold true ... at least I have been to the gunshows here locally, in order to develop an opinion on the matter.
    Well, I guess my comment was more to the ooint of "I don't go to ANY gun shows (local or otherwise) due to my many many bad experiences at gun shows in the lower 48." Is that a little better?