Thread: Do the COYOTES kill and Eat the FOX population......???

Default Do the COYOTES kill and Eat the FOX population......???

So what do you think.....??? I don't have an answer, but the coyote population has grown rapidly around here, and I rarely see any color fox around here. In fact I can go years with no fox sightings. I would guess the Eagles and the bigger Owls take some fox for dinner.

Back in Michigan I also witnessed the coyote population explode and yes they will kill fox. Buddy and I spent a lot of time predator hunting in the winter and found several red fox that had puncture wounds on the body which appeared to be from a canine due to the tracks around the recently killed carcass

From my experience..... The wolf kills the coyote, the coyote kills the fox. If prey is scarce, the bigger species will push out the competition whenever it can. You gotta buncha yotes down there do ya? Might have to come down and call a few.

Release Lake Trout

I've heard that is what happened to the once numerous foxes down here.
    I've seen plenty of coyotes in places such as Swanson River Road, Warren Ames Bridge, and Jean Lake area.

Did you know that Wolves kill and eat adult Brown Bears on the Alaska Peninsula...???

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt&FishAK View Post
    From my experience..... The wolf kills the coyote, the coyote kills the fox. If prey is scarce, the bigger species will push out the competition whenever it can. You gotta buncha yotes down there do ya? Might have to come down and call a few.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Did you know that Wolves kill and eat adult Brown Bears on the Alaska Peninsula...???
    I wouldn't be surprised. I hear they've found the remains of bears killed by wolves in the Denali highway area

Release Lake Trout

Do the COYOTES kill and Eat the FOX population......???
    Yup, and they compete for many of the same prey as well.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Definitely they will reduce the fox population... Besides outright killing them they also spread mange to fox dens and while many coyotes will recover from mange the fox is not as hardy so that takes a toll as well... I used to get a lot of fox in the 70's and early 80's now they are very uncommon to catch...
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

No surprise here.... We were checking traps once and came across a set of brown bear sow/cub tracks...soon to be joined by several wolves. The ensuing story in the snow showed the sow making major defensive moves...which must have worked because the wolves eventually gave up their attempts at the bears.

I was at the gun show yesterday and had multiple people tell me about how great their pet wolves were (I had a wolf rug on display)...they said things like "best 'dog' they ever owned", etc etc.....I wonder if they ever considered how close an animal like that is to becoming 'wild'....
    Then I had one person tell me they had a 14 foot wolf pelt. Maybe it's the 14 foot wolves eating the 10 foot brownies. LOL.
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!