Thread: Eklutna Lake Questions ??

Default Eklutna Lake Questions ??

My daughter wants to go fishing this weekend and we wanted to try something other than the usual valley lakes. Last week I took her brother on willow and montana flyfishing for trout, so now she wants to go fishing somewhere. She is younger and doesn't have alot of patience and the flyfishing I do with her brother just isn't her gig yet. So the thought was to try eklutna lake. Never been there before. I was figuring I could find a spot to sit and fish with her and her brother could take off flyfishing or using the ultra lites around the edges. Does any of this sound feesible? Any suggestions on a starting point to send him off on and where to stop with my daughter? What seems to work well up there. Nobody I fish with has ever been up there. Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated.

Wow arrow im not muvch help here. In all my years up here i have never know anyone who has fished that lake. It is a huge lake though very deep and cold. You might be better off trying mirror lake, beech lake or fire lake. Just my thoughts
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Fish & Game might have an idea about Eklutna.

Default You can get little dollies there

Try walking the edge of the lake where the little clearwater drains trickle in. A worm under a bobber floated out where the silt is stirred up usually does ok. The water is so glacially that fly fishing is going to be tough. Every time I've fished there I take my fly rod, get skunked, and watch my wife get them on worms. Havent fished there in several years though...

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by jrt34 View Post
    ....Every time I've fished there I take my fly rod, get skunked, and watch my wife get them on worms....
    How big (small?) were the dollies?

I've fished lake trout in Kenai Peninsula lakes (glacially clouded) using roe fished on the bottom just a short cast from shore. I've seen them come in at up to 5 lbs. I've always wondered if dolly fishing that way in other glacial lakes might prove as productive.

Default 2nd mirror or beach lakes

Mirror or beach lakes will keep most kids attention. I take my daughter, and she isn't into waiting at all, so there needs to be action, like right now. Mirror or beach lakes does that. And you son will have a great time fly fishing on either one, I do it all the time, and it is a blast. If you have a canoe, you can be a little more mobile, and try out different spots, that what I did and we had a great time!

i would try mirror lake or beach lake. i have never heard of any one pulling fish out of there. not surprising considering it is a glacier fed lake. another thing to consider is there is a ton of bear activity in that area. go hiking up there fairly often. and i have seen a ton of sign and tracks.

Quote Originally Posted by jrt34 View Post
    Try walking the edge of the lake where the little clearwater drains trickle in. A worm under a bobber floated out where the silt is stirred up usually does ok. The water is so glacially that fly fishing is going to be tough. Every time I've fished there I take my fly rod, get skunked, and watch my wife get them on worms. Havent fished there in several years though...
    I suggest using shrimp instead of worms. Find a small creek and cast out. You might be surprised at the size of the fish.

Not sure of the age of your kids, but Mirror Lake was really enjoyed by my kids last year (ages 4 and 6). There's some playground equipment right close by and a lawn/field for running around in when they got bored fishing.
    Palmer, Alaska
    "There are some things money can buy. For everything else, there's ALASKA!"