Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Your "HONEST" 3 inch range with .22 Long Rifle....???

Default Your "HONEST" 3 inch range with .22 Long Rifle....???

All most everyone claims they can drive "TACKS" all-day long at 100 yards with their .22 Long Rifle Firearm. And I do know a guy in Girdwood, AK. who builds my triggers on my CZ-452 & CZ-453 rifles who I would bet on against those who claim to drive tacks all day long.

Yesterday I was zeroing in my CZ-452 Ultra-Lux with it's 28.5" barrel and 2.5 Leupold Compact at 81 yards The distance from the sleeping cabin to the 55 gallon trash barrel. Now I have never even remotely considered myself a good shot, and more like a fair shot on days that all of the stars are aligned perfectly. The trash barrel gets coyote visitors, that being the reason for zero at 81 yards.

I have noticed that as I get old my body is still steady, but my memory does not recall which firearms are dialed in at 3" or 2.5" high at 100 yards, and which are zeroed at other distances, unless I have that info taped on the non-cheek weld side of the stock. So I have decided to zero everything in at 100 yards.

So here are my discussion questions: Standing & leaning against a tree or doorway (NOT on a bench) with you putting up $50.00 before each shot (Getting double or nothing back) what size circle at 100 yards, would you be comfortable betting you could keep could 9 out of 10 .22 LR shots inside.....??? NOTE: You could make up to $500.00 or you could loose up to $450.00 You only get one flyer.

Second question: At what range could you keep every shot inside a 3" circle......??? Same shooting restrictions.......???

Hmmmm- I usually shoot 25-50 yards with .22 so will have to look into that!

I watched my father hit 1 dime, 2 nickels and 2 quarters at 75 yards with my nylon 66. He only shot 5 times.
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

Edwin Hubble

With my target scoped Kimber .22 and Lapua or Eley Match ammo on a calm day I could group 3" at 100yds with a fair amount of reliability. Of course, the group was 9 or 10" low from POA. That was using a bench and resting over a pack. I'm pretty sure I couldn't do it with a standing rest.

Half that distance though- 50yds should piece of cake.

I've done some shooting with my long barreled CZ but it's all been open sights for the most part. I've noticed mine groups standard velocity ammo much better than the high speed stuff- especially out where the speed drops subsonic.

Poking at a coyote at 81yds with a 2.5x should be totally doable with a small amount of practice...you're getting kinda low on energy at that distance though on something the size of a coyote.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Quote Originally Posted by AKBEE View Post
    Hmmmm- I usually shoot 25-50 yards with .22 so will have to look into that!
    Me too. Generally, no need out to 100 from the door frame. Mostly, sub-sonic inside 50. Typically, only one shot fired and then the gun's put away until next time.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Lots of imponderables. I'm going to be generous and call the head of a snowshoe hare 3" since I don't have coyotes or 55 drums where I shoot.

A bud of mine is part of a serious group of 100 yard 22 rimfire benchresters. These guys spare no effort (or expense) to get the smallest groups, and you don't want to bet your wind-doping skills against theirs, no matter what you're shooting. We're talking major target rifles and scopes, and the very best match ammo. If you can't break 1/2" for 5 shots at 100 yards, don't show up.

I tell you all that because the bud decided to bring along his match rifle on a snowshoe hunt for making some real long shots. Watched him miss 5 straight offhand tries with that outfit on a head shot at what later paced off to 57 yards.

Quote Originally Posted by GrassLakeRon View Post
    I watched my father hit 1 dime, 2 nickels and 2 quarters at 75 yards with my nylon 66. He only shot 5 times.

I've got a couple of those and they are pretty accurate. Never tried to shoot a group though at 100 yards but the last squirrel I shot was probably about 75 yards or so away about 40 feet up in a pine tree. My son just looked at me and shook his head. Always wanted an Anshutz to shoot 22 Silhouette when I was winding down from High Power Silhouette but it just never happened. It would be a fun competition though.

With a stock 10/22 and bulk ammo I'd be lucky to stay inside 6" at 100, probably hold 3" at 25 yards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    With a stock 10/22 and bulk ammo I'd be lucky to stay inside 6" at 100, probably hold 3" at 25 yards.

I had a 10/22 for a few years. Unless I just wanted to burn through a box of ammo, it wasn't used much, as I never considered it to be close to being accurate. Currently shooting an old Remington model 511. It was my Dad's & got to be over 70 years old. At 50 yds, shooting off the hood of the car, I can get 3 shot groups in the 1 1/2" catagory. At 100 yds, the drop is 6" - 10" and groups open up considerably - around 4". That's with a 4x Leopold on it. If you're sighting in at 81 yards, I certainly shoot it at 25 & 50 yards also to see where POI is - never know when you'll see a coyote going from the dog's dish towards the barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    I had a 10/22 for a few years... as I never considered it to be close to being accurate. .
    Yeah, me too, the trigger on mine was nothing short of abyssmal- this is sort of an editorial comment so take it for what it's worth- but the relative lack of good grade bolt action rimfire rifles is ruining the joy of the .22LR. for a whole generation. Heading to the gun counter you find a whole mess of guns designed to turn a box of ammo into noise and empty cases as quickly as possible or something so chintzy that it's disposable. But little to execute some good shooting.

There are still a few out there being made but most rival high end centerfires in cost. Unless a guy digs up one of the older ones or lays his hands on an Anschutz or Cooper- he really has no idea what a .22 is capable of.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

The simple solution would be to move the trash barrel to what distance you are zeroed at. (Just joking) I have an old bolt action Remington 22 that I zeroed at 75 yards to shoot squirrels with at a deer feeder. I would kill over one half of the ones I shot at taking head shots from a blind just resting against the side of a post. Ammo also makes a big difference.

Interesting comments on the 10/22, mine is certainly capable of much better accuracy off the bench, my original comment was relative to the OPs question about off hand shooting.

I also find mine I much more accurate with CCI mini-mags that anything bulk that I've tried.

I like'd Bolt action .22's, the Romanian M-69 'trainer' with its express sights in 25, 50 and 100 yard leaf's, were pretty much dead on with CCi's mini-mags and solids. Strings at 100 yards were a bit bigger than my large hands, maybe 6 inches often. 50 yards was 1/2 that.

Bunny's were usually close, but Ptarmigan and Fox are quite the challenge, bit "minute of Fox' was pretty easy at 100 yards......., and Ptarmigan will often sit or just walk untill hit ~~LOL!!~~ Ptarmigan with blunt arrows is a real challenge
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Quote Originally Posted by strangerinastrangeland View Post
    I like'd Bolt action .22's, the Romanian M-69 'trainer' with its express sights in 25, 50 and 100 yard leaf's, were pretty much dead on with CCi's mini-mags and solids. Strings at 100 yards were a bit bigger than my large hands, maybe 6 inches often. 50 yards was 1/2 that.

Bunny's were usually close, but Ptarmigan and Fox are quite the challenge, bit "minute of Fox' was pretty easy at 100 yards......., and Ptarmigan will often sit or just walk untill hit ~~LOL!!~~ Ptarmigan with blunt arrows is a real challenge
    I used to sell those old surplus trainers and they were super cheap, I wish I could have afforded one at the time but college budget said no...

I was raised shooting an old long tube fed mossberg. Best I can figure looking at pictures is was a model 146, I'm going to have to order one off gun broker some day, I loved that gun!

Quote Originally Posted by PRDATR View Post
    I've got a couple of those and they are pretty accurate. Never tried to shoot a group though at 100 yards but the last squirrel I shot was probably about 75 yards or so away about 40 feet up in a pine tree. My son just looked at me and shook his head. Always wanted an Anshutz to shoot 22 Silhouette when I was winding down from High Power Silhouette but it just never happened. It would be a fun competition though.
    I believe they still hold the most 1 inch blocks knocked out of the sky at just over 100,000.
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

Edwin Hubble

Quote Originally Posted by GrassLakeRon View Post
    I believe they still hold the most 1 inch blocks knocked out of the sky at just over 100,000.
    http://www.nylonrifles.com/wp/2013/0...mous-nylon-66/

Edwin Hubble

Great Northern Guns has always had the largest selection of "RIM FIRE" rifles for ADULT size people. Most "Rim Fire rifles are manufactured with a short length of pull and short skinny barrels and are for the most part intended for the Youth market. One of the single best "Tools" to own is an adult sized Rim Fire Rifle.

NOTE: I have zero financial interest in GNG

I've shot a target rifle that would put them 9 out of ten in a one inch group off a rest using a peep designed for the competition......but none of mine are remotely sighted in for that distance. My 22 mag however will do an easy inch off the bench and I am confident with some kind of lean I could punch 3-4" groups at 100.....at least at one time I could. In DLG there is a shoot during hte Beaver Round up each spring (or at least there was) the bench 22 rifle competition was pretty much A: 10/22 and 4 in. or B: schnazzy rifle and an inch.

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    Interesting comments on the 10/22, mine is certainly capable of much better accuracy off the bench,
    It's been a long time since I did much shooting with mine, but I always remember it shooting pretty good, at least good enough that I wasn't worried about missing small objects at up to 100 yards. Guess it's time to take it out again and refresh my memory....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

To be honest I have never even thought of shooting a 22lr at 100 yards.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast