Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any Experience with "MOUNTAIN VIEW SPORTS" consignment program...???

Default Any Experience with "MOUNTAIN VIEW SPORTS" consignment program...???

Does anyone have any experience with this program...???

If you have any NEGATIVE experience with this consignment program......please send me a PM.

Thank You

I don't personally have experience with the consignments, but have read posts from others who spoke highly of it. Chad and Dan are super guys to deal with.

Yes, I need to sell about 30 or 40 firearms before mid-summer to get funds for the construction project up the mountain. I think Mountain View Sports is my best option.

Quote Originally Posted by AKBEE View Post
    I don't personally have experience with the consignments, but have read posts from others who spoke highly of it. Chad and Dan are super guys to deal with.

30-40? Good grief! Post the list here. I am interested in: Ruger Red Label All Weather shotgun, and a Ruger Frontier in Stainless or a Ruger KM77 Compact Laminate in stainless (.308 for either please). Short list but my point is, let us forum folks get a 1 week chance before you consignment them.

Sobie2

Quote Originally Posted by Sobie2 View Post
    30-40? Good grief! Post the list here. I am interested in: Ruger Red Label All Weather shotgun, and a Ruger Frontier in Stainless or a Ruger KM77 Compact Laminate in stainless (.308 for either please). Short list but my point is, let us forum folks get a 1 week chance before you consignment them.

Sobie2
    He advertises on this site a lot and takes a beating over prices. I wouldn't sell here either.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

should have brought them to the gun show this weekend and made all the money instead of paying consignment fees

Quote Originally Posted by reddogiii View Post
    should have brought them to the gun show this weekend and made all the money instead of paying consignment fees
    Now that's comedy
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

That is correct. Just about two or three weeks ago, a member of this forum listed four firearms for sale. Some were 25 to 30% under fair value, and one was at least 40% under value. They were on here for one week, he then listed them on Alaska's List and all four sold in two days.

I really don't know what the deal is with members of this forum as far as buying firearms, I really have no clue. The guy mentioned above Listed a Winchester Model 92 "TAKE-DOWN" for $850.00 and no one here bought it.
    When Winchester released them about three or four years ago List Price: $1,599.99

Quote Originally Posted by jkb View Post
    He advertises on this site a lot and takes a beating over prices. I wouldn't sell here either.

$25 dollar flat rate consignments seems like a phenomenal deal. I've always had pleasant experiences with mountain view sports.

Gun prices are FLAT right now. If you are still trying to move AR type rifles right now and trying to get anything near what you paid for them in the last couple years, good luck. I like the guys at Mtn. View, and I trust them. I just don't know if they are going to be into moving that many guns for you, but who knows?
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

One thing I do like about buying and selling on this site is that so far I have not had any run-ins with weirdos. So I try to stay here... BUT I have sold some things on Alaskas list for more than I asked here and they sold fast. But some of those folks were kinda spooky to deal with.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    One thing I do like about buying and selling on this site is that so far I have not had any run-ins with weirdos. So I try to stay here... BUT I have sold some things on Alaskas list for more than I asked here and they sold fast. But some of those folks were kinda spooky to deal with.
    Heck half of Alaskans are kinda spooky folks. I was selling a sawmill and a guy called and said he would be around about noon, he showed up walking and looked like the bums on Gamble in Anchorage. He looked the saw over and counted out $5500 cash and said he would send a guy and walked off . . .

As for the guns, put them on Gunbroker a couple at a time and you will get market value . . . which for ARs aint much at the moment. Every day I get emails of folks trying to move AR stuff, wholesale I've seen lowers for $39.99 and one offer of 30 complete rifles for $10K . . . that's $333.34 per rifle. Folks over built and there is a glut now.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    That is correct. Just about two or three weeks ago, a member of this forum listed four firearms for sale. Some were 25 to 30% under fair value, and one was at least 40% under value. They were on here for one week, he then listed them on Alaska's List and all four sold in two days.

I really don't know what the deal is with members of this forum as far as buying firearms, I really have no clue. The guy mentioned above Listed a Winchester Model 92 "TAKE-DOWN" for $850.00 and no one here bought it.
    When Winchester released them about three or four years ago List Price: $1,599.99
    A couple thoughts on that. I think most of the people who look for guns for sale in the classifies are gun users, not collectors. That and once the price of a gun approaches $750 and especially once it exceeds $1000, you dramatically narrow the field of who can afford to buy one on a whim.

And as Doug mentions, the firearm market is flat. IMHO for two reasons, one the buying frenzy after the 2012 election has abated, and two the supplies of ammunition and reloading components haven't. It's hard to get excited about buying a new or used gun when can't even feed the ones you have. I know I've passed on a few guns that interested me in the past year when I found out brass was not available and it might be another year or two before I'd be able to get brass for it.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

I think everything mentioned here is something to consider. I've been interested in a few of the guns that the OP has listed. I want a .45 and I'd like some other things, but I just don't have the play money to use at the moment. Good deals? Sure. But just out of my budget.

I've drooled over that 44 mag rifle...

Add to all of the above what is actually a down economy (even if the media tries to pretend it's not) and you have a recipe for poor sales. Like many have said, particularly in the AR market but I'd even maybe expand that to the "tacticool" market somewhat, the market is saturated. BF deals on ARs hit $450 for a complete rifle at the box stores. That's insane. But also, it seems like the tacticool fad might be waning slightly because there are SO many options.

It's gonna be tough to sell a firearm at "value" if that value is above the market's will. It's nice to try to sell a gun valued at $2000, but if no one has the $2k to spend and the demand doesn't exist, it's a really tough sell. I'm still laughing at the people who paid $1500 for a $600 AR and are trying to sell it now for $1600. "I'm just trying to get what I paid..." LOL!

Well, hopefully MT. View Sports has a larger, and more affluent market. As for me, I am turning 68 y/o and over the next 24 months I need to prepare for the last couple of chapters of my existence. Stuff I will not need going forward need to be sold for the stuff I will need.
    The most depressing thing is that I well have to chop this land up into affordable bite size lots. (YUCK)

Wow, so much to respond here, but how to do so without giving offense is the challenge.

When you guys talk about the market being "flat" or "insane" prices ($450 for an AR-15), I don't think either of those statements are true. I see no reason why an AR should ever sell for more than $500-600 in any market or economy. I don't think the market is "flat;" I think it has taken a downward revision (I hope a permanent downward revision) to where it was supposed to be, not unlike the housing market "crash."

There is a term in economics known as "equilibrium." (I've spelled this out here before.) When market demand matches market supply, the "equilibrium" price is set. With all the respect that is due to AGL, his gun prices have always been "out of equilibrium." The notion that a gun would depreciate only $100 over the course of several years? AGL, you've tried to sell that particular rifle here, at that price, several times over the past few years. Low prices drive up demand. High prices drive down demand. Want to sell that gun? Lower the price. (A LOT.)

The idea of needing to sell guns (things you don't need) late in life to buy things you do need (whatever that may be) was a bad investment strategy. I know a few people, over the years, who "invested" in guns and ammo rather than investing in stocks. Guns simply do not appreciate: in value unless yo are talking about those truly collectible (i.e. high dollar) guns. (Winchester lever guns and colt revolvers come to mind.) Even if your gun "investment" did appreciate in value, it has to appreciate enough to offset inflation (the enemy of anyone who saves) AND yo have to have a buyer. Even if your gun is "worth" your asking price, it's worthless if no one will buy it.

Lack of ammo availability will certainly depress gun sales. That is an "associated product." Who is going to buy hot dogs on 4th of July, if there are no buns to be had at any grocery store in town?

Someone mentioned the buying panic after the 2012 re-election. I guess if you really want top dollar for your guns, you can just wait til Dec 2016 and sell them after Hillary gets elected (you KNOW she's going to win) and really scalp your guns. Frankly, I'm glad to hear of AR owners who way overpaid for their guns and now can't "get their money back." Serves them right. I can't wait for it to happen to the ammo hoarders, too.

Sorry. I don't think I met my challenge of not giving offense. Sorry.

There is a world of difference between a NOVESKE built AR-15 and other AR-15's in the market place. I own about nine NOVESKE AR-15's and about five Spare NOVESKE Uppers. You can't by Just the Barrel that goes into a NOVESKE Rifle for $450.00.....If you are happy being the owner of $450.00 Level AR-15's that is wonderful, I am happy for you.

I don't think you can find anywhere that I "EVER" said, "Firearms are a great investment". Now, I have made Millions of dollars investing in Real Estate. And when I was a Securities Broker, I made so good investments there also. These firearms (All 73) are not investments, they are toys to enjoy looking at and have pride of owning. Now this land that I paid $42,500.00 cash for 16 years ago, is now worth about $750,000.00 and because most people can't write a check for 3/4 Million, I have to chop it into small lots.

As too the AR-15 market, if you really are educated about Economics. The proper terminology you should be using is, "MAXIMUM CAPACITY to CONSUME". I do hope that you are not in the least offended by this post; However should you have that experience, I apologize for offending you, Sir.

I do consider my single greatest Investment, to be, my having spent most of my life exploring the Majestic Wonder of Alaskan Wilderness.

Quote Originally Posted by FL2AK-Old Town View Post
    Wow, so much to respond here, but how to do so without giving offense is the challenge.

When you guys talk about the market being "flat" or "insane" prices ($450 for an AR-15), I don't think either of those statements are true. I see no reason why an AR should ever sell for more than $500-600 in any market or economy. I don't think the market is "flat;" I think it has taken a downward revision (I hope a permanent downward revision) to where it was supposed to be, not unlike the housing market "crash."

There is a term in economics known as "equilibrium." (I've spelled this out here before.) When market demand matches market supply, the "equilibrium" price is set. With all the respect that is due to AGL, his gun prices have always been "out of equilibrium." The notion that a gun would depreciate only $100 over the course of several years? AGL, you've tried to sell that particular rifle here, at that price, several times over the past few years. Low prices drive up demand. High prices drive down demand. Want to sell that gun? Lower the price. (A LOT.)

The idea of needing to sell guns (things you don't need) late in life to buy things you do need (whatever that may be) was a bad investment strategy. I know a few people, over the years, who "invested" in guns and ammo rather than investing in stocks. Guns simply do not appreciate: in value unless yo are talking about those truly collectible (i.e. high dollar) guns. (Winchester lever guns and colt revolvers come to mind.) Even if your gun "investment" did appreciate in value, it has to appreciate enough to offset inflation (the enemy of anyone who saves) AND yo have to have a buyer. Even if your gun is "worth" your asking price, it's worthless if no one will buy it.

Lack of ammo availability will certainly depress gun sales. That is an "associated product." Who is going to buy hot dogs on 4th of July, if there are no buns to be had at any grocery store in town?

Someone mentioned the buying panic after the 2012 re-election. I guess if you really want top dollar for your guns, you can just wait til Dec 2016 and sell them after Hillary gets elected (you KNOW she's going to win) and really scalp your guns. Frankly, I'm glad to hear of AR owners who way overpaid for their guns and now can't "get their money back." Serves them right. I can't wait for it to happen to the ammo hoarders, too.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    There is a world of difference between a NOVESKE built AR-15 and other AR-15's in the market place. I own about nine NOVESKE AR-15's and about five Spare NOVESKE Uppers. You can't by Just the Barrel that goes into a NOVESKE Rifle for $450.00.....If you are happy being the owner of $450.00 Level AR-15's that is wonderful, I am happy for you.

I don't think you can find anywhere that I "EVER" said, "Firearms are a great investment". Now, I have made Millions of dollars investing in Real Estate. And when I was a Securities Broker, I made so good investments there also. These firearms (All 73) are not investments, they are toys to enjoy looking at and have pride of owning. Now this land that I paid $42,500.00 cash for 16 years ago, is now worth about $750,000.00 and because most people can't write a check for 3/4 Million, I have to chop it into small lots.

As too the AR-15 market, if you really are educated about Economics. The proper terminology you should be using is, "MAXIMUM CAPACITY to CONSUME". I do hope that you are not in the least offended by this post; However should you have that experience, I apologize for offending you, Sir.

I do consider my single greatest Investment, to be, my having spent most of my life exploring the Majestic Wonder of Alaskan Wilderness.
    Nope, not offended. And you weren't supposed to take my post personally, either. I didn't intend to suggest that you, personally had recommended people invest in guns. Your comment "sell guns to buy what you need for later life" sounded like you had planned that move all along.

I did a google search of the phrase "maximum capacity to consume" and also paired that phrase with "economics" and gt nothing related to economics. I can only assume that it has something to do with consumers' financial ability to purchase things. If so, then I would suggest that we have hit our maximum capacity to consume.

As for AR15's...I don't know the difference from one brand of AR15 to another. I only know that a thousand bucks is too much for an AR15..for ANY AR15. It's pretty close to too much for any gun. $450 for an AR-any AR-is a much more reasonable price point. (However, having said that, I can't expound on what reasons one gun may cost x dollars and another may cost y dollars. To be perfectly, honest, none of it makes any sense to me.)

Quote Originally Posted by FL2AK-Old Town View Post

Two years ago, this site was crawling with guys buying/building AR's for the imminent apocalypse. The word was that AR's would soon be unobtainable, and prices would NEVER come down. Where are all those guys now
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast