Thread: Russian River in the Winter

Default Russian River in the Winter

I am wondering if anyone has tried fishing the Russian in the middle of the winter. I am thinking it could be a lot of fun to fish up in the canyon all by myself in the winter. But I am wondering if any rainbows stick around or do they all end up in the Kenai and the Lakes. Anyone tried it?

The Russian usually freezes over pretty completely - or, at least it has when I've hiked in there in the winter. I'm sure it's not frozen over yet this year, but I expect that it will.

Ankle deep and very skinny right now, I've never fished it this time of year but its very pretty.

Quote Originally Posted by ckreitel View Post
    I am wondering if anyone has tried fishing the Russian in the middle of the winter. I am thinking it could be a lot of fun to fish up in the canyon all by myself in the winter. But I am wondering if any rainbows stick around or do they all end up in the Kenai and the Lakes. Anyone tried it?
    Not worth your time. The rainbows and dollies do not winter in the Russian River. Those that don't winter in the Kenai River or Kenai/Skilak Lakes winter up in the Russian Lakes and not the river. You're best bet is to stick to the Kenai River where the food is at.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly