Thread: Goat/Deer hunt on baranof

Default Goat/Deer hunt on baranof

I have a live in sitka and I have a friend that is interested in coming up here for some early season alpine deer hunting next year. However my focus is likely to be goat hunting and I know that he would make a good partner for a fly out goat hunting trip. It's hard to find an experienced person to do that type of hunting with so I wanted to take advantage of it. Is it reasonable to think that a guy could fly into one of the high lakes around here for goat hunting and also have good access to alpine deer? I have done some alpine deer hunting around here with success but I have never flown anywhere so I'm looking for some advice from anyone who has done this before. I don't expect anyone to give away spots but if someone was willing to share lakes that they have flown into around here and what type of critters they saw I would really appreciate it. As of right now I'm looking at lake Rosenberg and Lake Diana but I'm sure there is more out there.

Thanks for your time!

Rosenberg is a good goat lake. If you put in the time, you will most likely get one. You can hike and hike and hike there all the way to Kelp bay if you wanted, all those mountain saddles connect and you can cover some major ground. Lake Diana is hit or miss. the goats are either there, or they aren't and there isn't a lot of other accessible area around Diana, your basically hunting near the lake. There are basically no deer at either lake either; strictly goat country for the most part, although maybe you might see the odd straggler, but I'de be surprised if you saw a deer. There are a couple lakes where you could potentially do a combo trip here. If you want to know more PM me.

PS - don't shoot a Nanny!

Shane 86-- Try visiting some AIR TAXI services and asking around sporting good stores. Both could provide a wealth of info. Good luck with your plans.

Default Fly in logic

I don't buy the fly in logic. If your as good as you say, and your partner is also talented why don't you hike? Flying is expensive and lends itself towards being stuck. The options for hike in Goat hunt are numerous with excellent deer opportunity. Get into Nakwasina, Fish Bay, Crawfish, Green Lake and put your boots and optics to work. Or if you want to fly.....Red Bluff Bay has little pressure and has a population of goats. Most "goat lakes" get used. Old billies know that and wander onto hillsides away from the pressure. Scout, scout, and scout........You should be conditioning in June and July anyway. Find "A" goat, the kinda goat that is obviously a billy. Ask for your friends assistance in getting it home, as in a singular animal between two men. Then repeat for your friend on the next billy. This is a Billy I helped a friend pack out this year from mountain top to saltwater.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bighorse View Post
    I don't buy the fly in logic. If your as good as you say, and your partner is also talented why don't you hike? Flying is expensive and lends itself towards being stuck. The options for hike in Goat hunt are numerous with excellent deer opportunity. Get into Nakwasina, Fish Bay, Crawfish, Green Lake and put your boots and optics to work. Or if you want to fly.....Red Bluff Bay has little pressure and has a population of goats. Most "goat lakes" get used. Old billies know that and wander onto hillsides away from the pressure. Scout, scout, and scout........You should be conditioning in June and July anyway. Find "A" goat, the kinda goat that is obviously a billy. Ask for your friends assistance in getting it home, as in a singular animal between two men. Then repeat for your friend on the next billy. This is a Billy I helped a friend pack out this year from mountain top to saltwater.
    That's such a great picture...!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Thanks for all the advice! I will never claim to be good but I would like to get "good". I have a lot to learn about this mountain hunting thing and that's the reason I need someone there who knows what they are doing. Hopefully they can keep me from doing something stupid. I like the idea of hiking in. I guess I just figured flying in is how it's done successfully but I'm all for doing things that other people are not. Does any one have any suggestions on things like gear? What to bring and what to leave home. From my limited experience deer hunting around here my gear list has changed a bunch trying to get lighter. Is there anything for goat hunting though that most people might not think of bringing or might bring that they don't need?

Thats a good looking animal bighorse! What time of year was he taken?

Default more goats

image.jpg
    Here is an August goat on Baranof, this one I took. Also hike in. The previous goat was a September goat.

Get used to traversing upper elevation snow fields safely. Six point instep crampons and an Ice axe are important. Learn to navigate in foggy, cloudy low visablity alpine conditions. Be prepared to go the distance. Nothing happens quick when your deep in the backcountry carrying a huge load. Work out in the mountains. Get used to a full day of effort.

goat 206.jpg
    This one is also a Sept goat.

Pay attention to these forums and look over other gear lists. You don't need the latest and greatest. You do need to be familiar and comfortable with your kit. Practice and Practice some more. When you hit the trailhead going on your hunt you should have a strategy of sucess in mind from start to finish.

Best wishes for safety and success. Goat meat is delicious.

I'll have to agree with Bighorse. Flying in is great if you're the first one in, or there hasn't been pressure there for a while. Make sure you have a good forecast though, or you may end up sitting in the fog or rain for days waiting for the plane to show up! Hiking in is great because you can come and go as you wish, I like having that freedom. Also, if I can give you any sort of advice, To have a better chance at a goat, don't hunt any further south than Green lake. 2/3rds of Baranof's goat population is from Green Lake north. The southern end of the Island has a much lower population, and the terrain is a lot harsher. That being said, the herd of goats that used to live on the Crawfish inlet mountains are basically gone from all the pressure there in the past when shooting Nannies wasn't a big deal. If someone saw any kind of goat there; it got shot. They still wander out there in the late winter occasionally, but you would be lucky to see a goat there in the summer time anymore.

As far as gear goes, it hasn't been mentioned yet, but be sure you bring a spotting scope so you can accurately identify a Billy. Take the quiz at ADFG and look at pictures on the internet so you are comfortable distinguishing between a Nanny and a Billy. Here is a good picture...can you tell the difference?

Here is the herd zoomed out a bit.

I took this Billy mid September this year on a hike-in goat trip. Went in on a Saturday, came out the next day on Sunday. I think it was around 18 miles round trip, with over 5000ft elevation change.

Cool pics guys! Why no rainier cans in the goat photos? Every time I go alpine I see hundreds of cans for whatever reason!

I like goat hunting here in Kodiak, but man....I really miss the views of SE goat terrain.
    Life's to short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts