Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: generator question

in the state seperated from the lower 48 by Canada

Default generator question

When needing more power than my batteries can supply or charging batteries during cloudy winter weather I have been using a Honda EU3000iS generator. Have had it for eight trouble free years.

Have contemplated going with a Northern Lights or Kubota 6KW but do not use enough power to keep one loaded to the 80% power load for optimum running.

So I am thinking of running a second Honda EU3000iS to give me 6KW max with a 5.6KW continuous. Plenty of power and I could run a single generator for smaller loads.

Honda makes a parallel cord kit with power cords, grounds and a 50 amp single receptacle/breaker they will sell to me for $300.
    Any issue with making one of those kits yourself?
    Simple four banana plug in leads, spade ground wire ends, an electrical box, 50 amp breaker and receptacle.
    Any pitfalls there?

Thanks for the wisdom......and opinions.

I found a youtube for DIY for 2-2k Honda. I did not look for information using two 3k Honda.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXqts2Lfgzk

It hard to give advice with not knowing what level of knowledge and wiring experience you have. If you did something wrong you could electrocute you or a family member.

Thanks for the post MG.

I have watched all the youtubes on the 2000 series but have never found one with the 3000. Can think the only difference between the 2000 and 3000 inverter generators is capacity. The built in inverters do the synchronizing for 'clean' power.

Lots of experience with electrical...wired my solar system as well as multiple homes and have done troubleshooting and repairs. Part of being an Alaskan.

Just curious if any one knows what magic wire there is in a $300 factory unit as opposed to a self constructed unit for 1/3 the cost?

You can buy a wire kit that ties two 3000 (or 2000) units together without the receptacle and breaker. Thinking of buying one of those, cut the wires and put in a 50A plug-in and breaker with appropriate connections.

The youtube guy, who makes his own 2000 kit, solders the splices but then wraps everything in electrical tape. I would still solder (vibration from gens) but still use a mechanical connection inside the box.

Quote Originally Posted by otternorth View Post
    I would still solder (vibration from gens) but still use a mechanical connection inside the box.
    If your worried about vibration I would not solder the connections. I would use crimp connectors and the proper crimping tool. Also use cable tie to securer the wiring from moving.

In reading up on paralleling 2-3K Honda generators if I'm right you will end up with 120v at 50 amps give or take.
    The Kubota 6K generator output is single phase120/240 or 2-120V 12.5 A or a single 240v 25A.

Two 3K Honda do not equal a Kubota 6K or am I missing something? Like what does your battery charger need for power?

Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
    The Kubota 6K generator output is single phase120/240 or 2-120V 12.5 A or a single 240v 25A.
    I should have said 2-120v @ 25 A

If you are going to solder I would recommend heat shrinking the splices instead of electrical tape.

If you go with a diesel I'm sure you will be fine with at least a 50% load on it, 80% seems a little high. Put up a nice big exterior light if you need more of a load.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the factory repair manual for the EU2000 and there is no magic to making your own parallel wires. The posts on the front are wired directly off the built in 110v receptacles. I remember reading that you could parallel any Honda or Yamaha no matter the wattage, as long as they would parallel with another of their own kind. I couldn't find the little pins used in the factory wiring harness so I used 110v male plugs. My EU2000 runs a Iota 55 amp charger with no problems.
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

Does Honda sell a "companion" model for the 3000? That version for the 2000s is about $100 more than the regular and will mate up with a regular 2000 without the $300 cord.

Great idea on the crimps....thinking one could dip the connections in liquid tape multiple times to help protect the metal from mis-contact with other components..

The Kubota would give me more power, but I do not need it unless my living/power needs were to change. I just need 120 volts but more than the 3000watts 'starting' to get my submersible to pump. In theory the pump should run with the 3000 but with 150' of wire down to the pump in is too much resistance. So, the second 3000 paralleled to the first. Plus I will have a backup generator.

Either the Kubota, N.L. can be set to 'auto' start off my inverted/charger controller. Have found an aftermarket kit to do 'remote' start on the 3000, a Servo operates the manual choke, but stepping outside to start a generator when needed is welcome.

Not sure about mating different watt generators together. Honda does not encourage it but some people do it with no issues.

Thanks for the discussion, ideas and taking the time to respond.

Quote Originally Posted by otternorth View Post
    I just need 120 volts but more than the 3000watts 'starting' to get my submersible to pump. In theory the pump should run with the 3000 but with 150' of wire down to the pump in is too much resistance.
    Something is not making any sense (again). A single 3k Honda is a over kill when using a HP well pump and 150 ft of 12Ga wire. If one 3K Honda is a over kill two 3k Honda will not fix the problem. IMO

Have you ever measure the AC voltage and current when the pump was running and compared it with the manufacture speck sheet? Fixing the problem would be a lot cheaper than a new generator.

Otternorth
    What's the distance from your OCPD to your well pump in wire footage?

The start surge of a deep well pump is probably over 5k. If you could get it started a 3k would be overkill. Most deep well pumps are 230v. I have a gen that is rated 3500w running, 4400w surge and it wont turn on my pump at home.
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

Something is not making any sense (again). A single 3k Honda is a over kill when using a HP well pump and 150 ft of 12Ga wire. If one 3K Honda is a over kill two 3k Honda will not fix the problem. IMO

Have you ever measure the AC voltage and current when the pump was running and compared it with the manufacture speck sheet? Fixing the problem would be a lot cheaper than a new generator.
    A pump needs about 6 times (conservatively) the running amps to start. A 3k Honda is NOT overkill for a 1/2 HP submersible. Also, in a typical well system, the pump is starting against a 100 ft or more of hydraulic head. I have a 3K honda and it struggles to start my 1/2HP well pump, it does start it, but it runs on an overload condition for a few seconds until the pump gets up to speed. If I have too many house lights on when I start the pump, it will kick the breaker on the genset out.

Your 1/2 hp 120v pump draws somewhere from 7-10 amps I'm guessing if you were to put an amp meter on it. This is not the enrush amperage, It probably draws somewhere around 1.5 to 5 times of the running amperage at start up, maybe more. 1/2HP is not what it takes to run it, it is the output of the motor. It would be best to look at the name plate rating on the pump to get accurate numbers.

The pump does try to start but the gen overload breaker pops. 150 feet of wire and a 90 foot head...the starting demand is too much for the gen.
    I will check the pump plate and test the 8 year old gen for it's output and redo the numbers.
    Of course the pump seller said the gen should handle the load.
    A neighbor needs 4600 watts to start his similar pump/head/wire run when using all weather extension cords.

OCPD?

Over current protection device, breaker or fuse. Looks like paralleling two 3000''s will be most economical for you then you do have a spare. Will be more of a pain starting and fueling two gens but i guess a guy could plumb them together off an external fuel tank.

After reading the last few post I started to wonder could I be wrong? Just how big of a generator would a person need?

I called up a couple of water drilling company and ask the question....If you has a submersible 120v hp power pump would a Honda 3K generator run it with out any problems. They both said YES IT WOULD, and one guy said a 2K Honda generator will works.

I personally have never tried 150' of 12 Ga to start a 1/2 HP pump, but I'm genuinely curious about the numbers.

A 110V circuit in your home is only good for (up to) 20Amps in 12ga. That is 2200 watts. So, what you guys are saying is that a 110V pump cannot run off of normal house (grid) power without tripping a 20A breaker?

I have seen an AC motor that was worn out continue to pop a 30A (220) breaker. The ammeter showed that it was trying to draw over 40A to start... Replaced motor.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

After reading the last few post I started to wonder could I be wrong? Just how big of a generator would a person need?

I called up a couple of water drilling company and ask the question....If you has a submersible 120v hp power pump would a Honda 3K generator run it with out any problems. They both said YES IT WOULD, and one guy said a 2K Honda generator will works.
    Just curious who you called. The only one I would trust for remote information is ABC/PennJersey. A 3000w older style Honda will not start my 1/2 hp 120V pump on 100' of 12ga wire and only 30' of pump depth. I know it doesn't make sense, but it doesn't pop the 20 amp breaker it's attached to. The same 3000w generator will also not start my air compressor, yet I can plug that same air compressor into a wall outlet on grid power and it works fine
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

I'm sure a good chunk of the cost for the paralleling cord is the UL or NRTL listing/labeling. Using a homemade cord set without a listing will most likely void your generator's warranty

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast