Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .22 Pistol suggestions???

Default .22 Pistol suggestions???

I am looking to get a 22 pistol for plinking and maybe some small game hunting. Was thinking a Browning Buckmark or a Ruger Mark III. Anything else I should check out?

I was looking at an AMT Lightning at Mountain View Sports not too long ago, it looks like a stainless Ruger MKII clone. $225! Don't know anything else about them.

Go and look around at the gun shows and pick up and try every one you see.

I'm finding good old S&W model 17's for 250. to 275. price range.

Look for the old High standard .22 auto's, they are seen for under 200.

I love the early Cold woodsmans, they just don't give them away. I do like the flat sides and the small grip of these pistols.

High Standard made what they called the Military model, that was a great old .22, and can be found if you look around at the shows.

I think you will be surprised at what you can find used that beats the heck out of current day production .22's.

I'm going to admit to being a pure .22rf junkie, and "loving it"!

Try really hard to find a good deal on a smith&wesson model 41. You wont regret that pistol. I have tried a few 22 pistols, but stopped looking when I discovered the model 41.

Default .22 pistol

I don't think you can beat a .22 pistol for pure fun or practicality. My wife and I have owned dozens of them over the years and enjoyed thousands of hours of shooting (including an indoor range in our Eagle River house!) Her personal favorite right now is a stainless AMT with a 5" bull barrel and an EER Leupold; shoots amazingly well. We carry a M63 Smith & Wesson in our survival gear also. As long as you buy a quality handgun, you can't go wrong and the target models with good ammo can consistently hit pop cans at 100 yards (with a scope). A TC contender will surprise almost anyone who hasn't done long range target shooting before. I only wish I'd kept the 4" blued Colt Woodsman I bought new in 1974 (I used to read alot of Russell Annabel in Outdoor Life when I was a kid!)

I did not mention the model 41 for the vary good reason that the S&W has gone through the roof in price. They are indeed the cream of the crop. But OH DEAR the price.

Until one has shot the 41 you will not think of carrying it far for plinking or hunting as it is indeed on the large size.

I like the Ruger's with the 5 1/2" bull barrel, you might still be able to find one of the mk II's or the 22/45 for a reasonable price. I had one with the 4" bull barrel but it didn't have enough barrel weight to balance well.

The one handgun I own that I will never sell is a S&W 617 SS .22 that holds 10 rounds. Pricey but worth every penny.
    Tennessee

I've got a Buckmark .22 and really like it. It is a tack driver for sure, but a little prone to malfunctioning when it gets dirty (after a couple hundred rounds). A quick clean job and it is back in action. Many spruce hens and rabbits have succombed to my little Buckmark!
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

I've owned more than a few over the last 40 years. But 3 or 4 years ago I torture tested a few that I was able to borrow from a local pawn shop or dig out of my safe, while searching for a good 22 survival pistol.

The Buckmark was towards the top of the list for semi-autos. It was accurate and handled various types of ammo without malfinction.

The Ruger MKII was right up there as well.

I borrowed a S&W M-41 which was super accurate, but it was more picky about ammo types.

I also tried a P-22 Walther. (this gun needed to sit inside my floatation vest pocket) I had bought that one on sale at the Elmendorf BX. It was marginally accurate, but once again somewhat picky about ammo types. the safety will sometime drop into the on-postion during firing...Plus the magazine disconnect makes the trigger pull garbage.
    I sold it to a guy here in town who likes it.

I also tried my 1930s vintage Colt Woodsman. But the heavy sub-sonic ammo and a few types of hollow points would occasionally hang-up. Plus mine has fixed sights which were not exactly on target.

An old M-17 S&W, and an old K-22 S&W were hard to beat since they fired anything. Plus they were real tack-drivers. But they were a little large and collectable for my use.

Eventually for my vest I bought a 3 inch S&W 617 8 shot 22 J-frame. It is titanium or aluminum. It is accurate enough for lake ducks and birds at 15 to 20 yards. Plus it is light weight and small enough to sit in my Float-Survival-vest pocket with a box of 50 rounds of ammo.

If size was not a consideration I would probably buy a Buckmark with the flat side barrel, our maybe one of the newer S&W 22 revolvers in a larger frame.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

I have an old browning Buckmark, shot it over 10 thousands of times, and probably even cleaned it as much. I would never buy another 22 automatic again, to much time keeping them clean to function 100 percent of the time. Give me a 22 revolver anyday now! Preferably a smith, but such a crazy price for a 22. id even take a taurus over an automatic anyday, but thats just me,
    Formerly known as one who clings to guns and religion

Quote Originally Posted by AKmud View Post
    I've got a Buckmark .22 and really like it. It is a tack driver for sure, but a little prone to malfunctioning when it gets dirty (after a couple hundred rounds). A quick clean job and it is back in action. Many spruce hens and rabbits have succombed to my little Buckmark!
    My Buckmark has the same MO.
    Josh
    Back in Afghanistan, I hope for the last time.

For what it's worth, over the past some odd forty years I have found with temperamental auto loader rim fires, that after a good cleaning use WINCHESTER SUPER X. It is one of the type of deals that you have to demand as V.F. Grace is a REMINGTON distributor. I think it has to do with the outside lube. I have troublesome auto's brought in that would not function for the owner, switch ammo and they worked.

It seems that some auto loaders will eat anything and some like it just so, so.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    I like the Ruger's with the 5 1/2" bull barrel, you might still be able to find one of the mk II's or the 22/45 for a reasonable price. I had one with the 4" bull barrel but it didn't have enough barrel weight to balance well.
    I've got a 22/45 with the 5.5" bull barrel, stainless, and scoped. It's my wintertime ptarmigan shooter. It's about as accurate as my unscoped 22 rifles.

I also have a S&W Airlite 317. It's an 8 shot revolver, 3" barrel, and it only only weighs 8 oz.

It's great to have in the pack, but being so light makes it a challenge to shoot accurately.

I bought the Smith with long term survival in mind. It was likely a foolish purchase. I'm very unlikely to find myself in such a situation, anyway. Besides, a person can live over two weeks with no food whatsoever.

I'd have been better served by simply buying and carrying shot shells for my personal protection sidearm. They work. I've tried them in both 44 mag and 357 mag. They will take small birds as well as drop squirrels out of a tree.

The old sig trailsides are great, the new mosquito is quite well made as well. Sounds like an airgun after threading in the Gemtech suppressor

I'm inclined to match a 22 with my choice of large bore- revolver if you're popping large caps with a revolver and semi-auto if your dominant bigbore shooting is with a semi-auto. Of course, that means I have both!

Stop that...now you're making me want a DA .22 revolver to go with my Ruger SRH!

Didn't Ruger make a sp 101 in .22 at one time? Do they still make it?...Louis

Wink

Second BrownBears choice.Get the same type of gun/ feel, of your large bore handgun. It will make you a better shot, with alot less pain! I"ve got a Dan Wesson 6 in. DA revolver, lots of fun to shoot!
    ; for them that honour me I will honour, and they that despise me shall be lightly esteemed. 1 SAMUEL 2;30

I shoot in a .22 bullseye league. Most of the shooters use smith 41's, Pardini's, Hammerli's and a few SIG Trailsides. Considering the price of the Pardini's and Hammerli's the SIG is an amazing value. The SIG is under $400, the other two are over 2K. People shooting SIG's seem to do well in comparison with the people with the wonder guns.

I love my ruger single six!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast